News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What Do You Fix?

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, July 16, 2020, 10:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ergative

We have a sliding cabinet in our kitchen that, for as long as I can remember, refuses to slide out more than about 8 inches. It's very inconvenient, because the stuff at the back of the cabinet is awkward to get to. Well, today I finally got down by the sliders, grabbed them, and pulled hard. Whatever gunk (and boy, is there gunk on them!) finally let up its sticky grasp, and now the cabinet slides in and out all the way. What freedom! I can reach the sugar again!

Probably this weekend I'll have to get some steel wool and clean the metal runners properly, but at least the cabinet now moves freely.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: ergative on January 28, 2021, 03:24:21 AM
We have a sliding cabinet in our kitchen that, for as long as I can remember, refuses to slide out more than about 8 inches. It's very inconvenient, because the stuff at the back of the cabinet is awkward to get to. Well, today I finally got down by the sliders, grabbed them, and pulled hard. Whatever gunk (and boy, is there gunk on them!) finally let up its sticky grasp, and now the cabinet slides in and out all the way. What freedom! I can reach the sugar again!

Probably this weekend I'll have to get some steel wool and clean the metal runners properly, but at least the cabinet now moves freely.

Yay!

Sometimes I'll have a cleaning fit and just clean the heck out of things. SO doesn't really notice until I point it out- it just isn't on his radar.

I did 'fix' my old garden jeans. Lots of stitching, but at least I won't flash anyone when I wear them now. They're good for another year.

ergative

I have a wonderful black leather recliner chair that I got for cheap when a friend graduated from college before me. It has trotted along faithfully behind me for multiple moves, across state lines and country borders and even an ocean. It has always been a bit rickety in one of the joints, and a few days ago it fell apart so badly I couldn't put it back together. So I bought a full set of hex keys (turned out I needed the size 5.5), and screwed that joint together nice and tight. This chair is now fully secure again, and I am pleased.

Absolutive was making noises before the hex keys arrived about how it was old and maybe should be replaced, but I'm not having any of that! I love this chair! This chair is my favorite chair. There's nothing wrong with it that a 5.5 hex key can't fix. I will happily get it a partner, but I would never replace it when there's still so much sitting left in it.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Frugal fix! That's great!

Bbmaj7b5

I will claim some credit for making sure the house was in good shape in preparation for the Big Texas Ice Storm.

We only lost one outdoor spigot.

mamselle

I fix broken diminished chords.

(Yes, it was that kind of a theory lesson...!)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Tee_Bee

I love this thread. I love hearing about how people fix things. I am semi-addicted to watching Youtube videos of people fixing old radios, cars, appliances. Anything to keep things out of the waste stream.

Along those lines, two recent victories. First, our washing machine was making funny noises recently, and finding a repair person these days is hard, so my spouse found the parts (ten whole dollars worth) and followed a Youtube video. Some sort of bearing, I think. Fixed, no noises. Beats buying a new washing machine.

My proudest moment in the last few months was fixing a Chromebook that my spouse sat on, thereby trashing the screen. I figured it was a goner, so we bought a new Chromebook. But out of curiosity one day I plugged a monitor in the broken one and confirmed it still worked. So it was back to Youtube for a repair video. Found the new screen on line for about 70 bucks, and just followed the video. The ribbon cable was a bit fiddly but got it back together. So then we had this fixed computer around with no one using it, until my wife learned of a woman who needed a basic computer to work from home after a spell of unemployment. So I got her up and running. Felt really good--kept a computer out of tech trash, and someone got the computer they needed. Ordinarily this wouldn't be much of a story but I tend to have two left thumbs, but in recent years something seems to have clicked and my repair skills have improved. Can you believe that some people think watching Youtube all day is a waste of time?

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Tee_Bee on April 13, 2021, 07:04:17 PM
I love this thread. I love hearing about how people fix things. I am semi-addicted to watching Youtube videos of people fixing old radios, cars, appliances. Anything to keep things out of the waste stream.

Along those lines, two recent victories. First, our washing machine was making funny noises recently, and finding a repair person these days is hard, so my spouse found the parts (ten whole dollars worth) and followed a Youtube video. Some sort of bearing, I think. Fixed, no noises. Beats buying a new washing machine.

My proudest moment in the last few months was fixing a Chromebook that my spouse sat on, thereby trashing the screen. I figured it was a goner, so we bought a new Chromebook. But out of curiosity one day I plugged a monitor in the broken one and confirmed it still worked. So it was back to Youtube for a repair video. Found the new screen on line for about 70 bucks, and just followed the video. The ribbon cable was a bit fiddly but got it back together. So then we had this fixed computer around with no one using it, until my wife learned of a woman who needed a basic computer to work from home after a spell of unemployment. So I got her up and running. Felt really good--kept a computer out of tech trash, and someone got the computer they needed. Ordinarily this wouldn't be much of a story but I tend to have two left thumbs, but in recent years something seems to have clicked and my repair skills have improved. Can you believe that some people think watching Youtube all day is a waste of time?

I think it's awesome that you helped that women by giving her your old Chromebook. Welcome to the world of 'fixing.' There is so much interesting information online on how to diy.

mahagonny

My wife bought new blinds. I put the little metal boxes in with the wood screws. They were too far apart so I shimmed them out. You just can't find a problem that Yankee ingenuity won't solve.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Not a fix, per se, but it will lead to one.

I got a hair up my butt after vacuuming and decided to proactively clean out the vacuum since it smelled icky and had 'sticky' dirt in it. I removed and cleaned the roller bar, guard, canister, hoses and filter. After removing a short section of hose, I noticed a few holes in it (which were really obvious when cleaning it out with water). So, I'll try to plug it up (haven't noticed any issue with 'suction', but then again I haven't been measuring it and I don't have a baseline. If the plug doesn't work, then I suppose I'll order a new part. I love my purple vacuum and I'd like to keep it around for a bit.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I decided to take my mailbox apart. The wiggly post was bothering me. So, I removed nails (ugh), staples, thumb tacks!!! and screws from all parts. Sanded it. Put everything back together and added a new handle (since the old one was broken). I need to repaint the post (20 years old). It would be easier to get a new one, but I see some life left in it.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Update. The mailbox and post were both painted. Flowers were planted around the box and a stone border was also added. It looks nice!

Today, I didn't really fix it, but I cleaned my outside AC unit. I used my shop vac to clean out debris inside it. For the hell of it, I also cleaned off the fan blades. I sanded rusted spots off the top and painted the entire cap grey. Of course, the unit was turned off (including at the fuse box), while all of this was done. Tomorrow, I may wash the condenser coils (and straighten bent fins) since they are really dirty.

fishbrains

I replaced my neighbor's water heater. No leaks at the present time. SharkBites did the trick. I'm feeling pretty bad-a$$ right now.

And pretty sore. Used some new muscles there.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: fishbrains on July 02, 2021, 01:45:10 PM
I replaced my neighbor's water heater. No leaks at the present time. SharkBites did the trick. I'm feeling pretty bad-a$$ right now.

And pretty sore. Used some new muscles there.

Awesome! Did they tip you? ;)

evil_physics_witchcraft

We just reattached tubing, surrounding wires to the motor, on the outside air conditioner unit. Somehow the tubing came loose and the fan blades were hitting it. Scared the crap out of me.