News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Running Thread

Started by spork, July 28, 2020, 07:34:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pink_

I was really starting to get into a rut by the end of 2020--the same routes, the same effort, but nothing specific to train for beside just getting out the door, so I decided to train for a marathon once we made it to 2021. To be clear, I'm not actually running a marathon--I can't imagine feeling comfortable racing until I get a vaccine--but I have always really enjoyed the training blocks. Taking this one a bit more slowly since I took a fall and jacked up my knee around Christmas and wanted to be smart about it. So far, so good. But part of taking it slow meant that my coach arranged my training schedule and moved my rest day from W to Tues. That might not seem like a lot, but I have taken W as a rest day for YEARS, and moving it one day earlier has done a number on my calendar. Only one more week after this one, thankfully.

spork

6.2 miles yesterday. 22 F degrees, but the sun had risen by the time I hit mile 4, and it was the first bright, sunny day in two weeks, so I took advantage of it.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

MarathonRunner

Quote from: MarathonRunner on August 22, 2020, 07:30:41 AM
I'm currently training for three virtual races: 26.1 km (Virtual Canada Army Run), 10 km (Virtual Run to End Endo), and half-marathon/21.1 km (Virtual Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront). Once those are complete by the end of October, I'll start training for a spring marathon. If "live" races aren't back by then I'll find a virtual marathon to run. In the past I've run 3 full marathons, over a dozen half-marathons, and completed two sprint triathlons. Another triathlon next summer is possible if I can get back into the pool (currently they are closed in my jurisdiction).

So, my plans were extremely optimistic. I ran three half-marathons between August and November (including one 26.1km run, the Canada Army Run), but since then, not so much. I fell, and had a huge gash in my knee (went to emerg because it was that bad, even with COVID, and had stitches put in). Since then, slowly trying to get back to run/walk. So no marathon or triathlon (pools still closed) this spring/summer. Hoping for 1+ halfs again for next fall (dissertation research/writing being the priority fairly soon, so the narrow "window" of more time for longer/more involved training is rapidly closing, and will have to wait until post-PhD defence at this point. Had I not had the injury, this spring was my last marathon possibility/attempt until post-defence).

FishProf

I am putting this here as motivation and hope.

I am too fat to run.  My knee has insufficient cartilage to take the the Bombur-ian pounding.  So, into the pool, and onto the bike I go.  When I weigh less, I shall run again. 

Or, I'll be getting a new knee.  One or the other.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

spork

6.5 miles today in new shoes.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

ergative

3 miles yesterday, alternating run/walk.  Joints and feet are holding up just fine at this frequency (weekly/bi-weekly).

traductio

My goal this winter (I live in Canada, where winter is a big deal) has been to run my 5k route twice a week for the entire winter. In the past, I've taken the winter off because (1) it's cold and (2) my knees hurt, so I wanted to give them a break. This winter, I (1) bought actual winter running clothes (which, as advertised, are fantastic), and (2) learned a much better series of stretches, so my knees haven't hurt in a year (yay!). And I'm happy to say I've kept up with my two 5k runs a week, sometimes even three! The timing isn't as predictable as it would be in the summer (I'm not going to run when it's actively snowing, and I don't care to run on ice), but I'm more than a little pleased with myself.

pgher

Quote from: traductio on March 09, 2021, 05:26:32 AM
My goal this winter (I live in Canada, where winter is a big deal) has been to run my 5k route twice a week for the entire winter. In the past, I've taken the winter off because (1) it's cold and (2) my knees hurt, so I wanted to give them a break. This winter, I (1) bought actual winter running clothes (which, as advertised, are fantastic), and (2) learned a much better series of stretches, so my knees haven't hurt in a year (yay!). And I'm happy to say I've kept up with my two 5k runs a week, sometimes even three! The timing isn't as predictable as it would be in the summer (I'm not going to run when it's actively snowing, and I don't care to run on ice), but I'm more than a little pleased with myself.

That's awesome! I live in a place where winter comes and goes, generally between 30 and 50 F, and I still struggle to get out on the road.

I'm signed up for a 5K on Saturday, so I'm hoping to run a few times this week to get ready.

traductio

Quote from: pgher on March 09, 2021, 07:33:26 AM
Quote from: traductio on March 09, 2021, 05:26:32 AM

That's awesome! I live in a place where winter comes and goes, generally between 30 and 50 F, and I still struggle to get out on the road.

I'm signed up for a 5K on Saturday, so I'm hoping to run a few times this week to get ready.

It's nearly 40°F here today (a genuine heatwave -- when I went running on Sunday, it was about 0°F), so I'm hoping to get out today. And it's sunny, too -- I might wear shorts.

Good luck with the 5k!

pink_

I'm training for a marathon but have not plans to actually run a marathon until 2022, and even those plans are soft. But I needed something to give me structure  and get me back into more variety in my runs. So far, so good in some ways: my right foot has been a problem for a long time (bunion) and it's continued to bother me from time to time. It's uncomfortable for about a mile then settles down while I run, but later in the day, it's sore. I'll live, but getting old is not for the faint of heart.

ergative

Quote from: pink_ on March 11, 2021, 06:50:41 AM
I'm training for a marathon but have not plans to actually run a marathon until 2022, and even those plans are soft. But I needed something to give me structure  and get me back into more variety in my runs. So far, so good in some ways: my right foot has been a problem for a long time (bunion) and it's continued to bother me from time to time. It's uncomfortable for about a mile then settles down while I run, but later in the day, it's sore. I'll live, but getting old is not for the faint of heart.

Good luck with the marathon training!

I have similar problems with my heels: They'll ache a little and then settle down after a few blocks, but then they're sore the rest of the time. I've tried not running for a few months, but it always comes back, so I'm getting used to the idea of living with it.

traductio

Quote from: ergative on March 11, 2021, 07:21:59 AM

Good luck with the marathon training!

I have similar problems with my heels: They'll ache a little and then settle down after a few blocks, but then they're sore the rest of the time. I've tried not running for a few months, but it always comes back, so I'm getting used to the idea of living with it.

Here's why I like this thread -- I'm in denial about being, well, older than I was, and I'm glad to be reminded that it's really okay.

Good luck with the marathon training, Pink_. One of my promises to myself when I got tenure (a few years ago at this point) was that I could train for a half-marathon, but one summer we travelled a lot (something I don't regret), and then Covid last summer through everything off. But a half-marathon would be just for me, not for work (like the metaphorical marathons I've run to get tenure), which is why it was what I promised myself as a tenure gift.

Parasaurolophus

For my part, the warmer weather has been much kinder to my asthma, so my usual daily 2km has been easy peasy, and I'm thinking I should expand to 4-5km before fire season gets underway. The challenge, given where I live, is plotting out something that's not 4-5km uphill all the way.

I'd rather be rowing, though. It's a lot easier on the asthma.
I know it's a genus.

pgher

Last year's 5K was canceled due to the pandemic, so this year's was set to go rain or shine. Fortunately, though it rained overnight, it was just overcast this morning. I ended up running much faster than expected (PR).

I didn't mind the woman who passed me around the halfway point and stayed a couple hundred yards ahead. I did mind the guy who passed me three times--each time at a dead run, followed by walking--and finished ahead of me. Ah well.

spork

I'm training for a marathon but have not plans to actually run a marathon until 2022, and even those plans are soft. But I needed something to give me structure

[. . . ]

I'm thinking of something similar. In the past, when my wife has been in her home country for Ramadan, I have trained up to half marathon distances and have done what I call a Ramadanathon as a substitute for fasting. I've been slowly adding mileage after not being able to run at all in 2019 because of misdiagnosed medical problems. I'm older, still haven't completely recuperated, and am wondering if it's wise to push my body toward a goal like this. Part of the problem has been uneven weather. It's far easier for me to go on a weekly long run at 50 F than at 15 F.