News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Running Thread

Started by spork, July 28, 2020, 07:34:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Good work, everyone!

I need to work up the courage to go in the rain, because we've got solid rain projected for days and days. As the weather cools the contrast tends to trigger my asthma, too, which doesn't help with the motivation.
I know it's a genus.

downer

One of the positive aspects of the pandemic for me was that when the local high school closed to the students, local residents were able to use the running track all the time. The surface is definitely better for me to run on -- going uphill or going on hard surfaces isn't great for my ankles. This semester it's been back to using the track on holidays and Sundays mainly.

i also am able to do some trail running sometimes, which has been nice. Did 5+ miles the other day, though I walked up the hills.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

pink_

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 07, 2020, 09:55:06 PM
Good work, everyone!

I need to work up the courage to go in the rain, because we've got solid rain projected for days and days. As the weather cools the contrast tends to trigger my asthma, too, which doesn't help with the motivation.

I love running in the rain as long as it's not completely pouring or right at the freezing point. Covid has encouraged this love because on rainy days, I can return to my favorite bike path because it's empty. On nice days, it's often too difficult to distance from other pedestrians, almost none of who are wearing masks (to be fair, I don't run with a mask either, but this is why I avoid places where I can't cross the street to maintain distance).

Wear a hat and something high-vis (or just brightly colored), and enjoy! our skin is water proof, and anti-chafe lube should prevent discomfort.

spork

5.5 miles on Sunday, 5.4 miles this morning. Temperature about 25 F on both days.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

traductio

I'm good for my 5k run twice a week this winter, but snow and ice have really been an issue. Running on fresh snow is beautiful but kills my calves, and as for ice -- I slow down my pace a lot so as not to fall and break something.

On the other hand, this is the longest I've made it into the winter in a few years. The pandemic has made me more stubborn about getting out and running (which is still allowed here, despite our new lockdown measures).

Sun_Worshiper

Highs in the mid-60s or low-70s where I live, so I'm able to run through the winter (summer is another story...). I ran ~5 miles yesterday and will probably do another this week at some point.

larryc

Quite snowy here since Christmas. I put some of those rubber instep crampons with toe and heel spikes on and ran right down the center of the quiet streets and it felt pretty safe. I took a hard fall on some ice at the start of winter, not hurt much but it could have been far worse. So I am being careful.

I asked my wife last week if I could ride her new Peleton and she pretended she did not hear me. So that's out.

spork

Quote from: larryc on January 02, 2021, 06:20:02 PM
Quite snowy here since Christmas. I put some of those rubber instep crampons with toe and heel spikes on and ran right down the center of the quiet streets and it felt pretty safe. I took a hard fall on some ice at the start of winter, not hurt much but it could have been far worse. So I am being careful.

I asked my wife last week if I could ride her new Peleton and she pretended she did not hear me. So that's out.

Everybody mocked that Peloton commercial. Look who's laughing now.

Ran my 5.5 mile route on Sunday and this morning, even though my hemoglobin has dropped below 10. Not good. Yesterday I began badgering physicians again to do their jobs.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

ergative

I won at weather today! It rained yesterday. It rained this morning. It's forecast to rain this afternoon. But it was sunny and beautiful when I went for a short run this noon, and I feel great!

My conditioning has disappeared entirely. I'm back to the block-run, block-walk pattern that I was on when I started in the summer. No more two miles without stopping for me! But that's okay. I have The Vela: Salvation on audio, and it was good to be active again. I sleep better when I've done something more strenuous than baking brownies.

Puget

I'm not back to running yet, but phase 1a of getting back into running shape is going well-- I've (briskly) walked a 10k loop every day so far this month. I'd been walking before, usually around 3.5 miles, but that wasn't really cutting it.

I just decided it would be easier to make it every day and just go in whatever weather (I was raised on "there is no bad weather, just inappropriate clothing) than to say 3x week and allow myself to squirrel out of it by telling myself I'll do it tomorrow.

I won't be able to keep that up once classes start again on the 1st, but by then I hope to have laid down enough of a fitness base to start running 3x/week, working through the 10k app again, and on the other days I walk to and from campus, which is 3 miles round trip.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

ohnoes

I've been building slowly and am starting to feel like a runner again.  I've managed to run every day this year.

spork

Ran 5 miles before dawn yesterday when the temperature was 7 F.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: spork on February 01, 2021, 11:18:34 AM

Wow... good for you!

I've been running ~5 miles about twice per week. But weather is much warmer in my neck of the woods.

mamselle

Cheers to all, be safe and keep moving.

I'm doing paces inside my house.

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

Quote from: spork on February 01, 2021, 11:18:34 AM

I went running once a few weeks ago, and the temperature was in the 30s, and it ripped up my throat and I decided I'm done until spring.