News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Running Thread

Started by spork, July 28, 2020, 07:34:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spork

I'm similar to pink_. I pull a gaiter (interesting word, never used it for headgear before, but it makes perfect sense) over my mouth and nose if I'm passing within ten feet of someone. Since I run on a path, sidewalks, and streets early in the morning, I usually can get far away from anyone who is out exercising at the same time.

4.3 miles this morning at 70 degrees and 90% humidity. Physically exhausted until about a couple of hours ago. About to water plants in the yard; it's 90 degrees now.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

FishProf

I am trying to get back to running, and my adult Karate class.  The 2nd one has crippled me for the 1st.  Achilles Tendonitis (which is a recurring issue for me whenever I try to get back to running).

I am going to try the nighttime PF brace to keep my foot flexed while I sleep.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

Massage with Vicks or a plain petroleum jelly, or mineral oil, might also help.

Good luck....no fun, been there, fought that...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

Quote from: spork on August 09, 2020, 02:37:38 PM
I'm similar to pink_. I pull a gaiter (interesting word, never used it for headgear before, but it makes perfect sense) over my mouth and nose if I'm passing within ten feet of someone. Since I run on a path, sidewalks, and streets early in the morning, I usually can get far away from anyone who is out exercising at the same time.

4.3 miles this morning at 70 degrees and 90% humidity. Physically exhausted until about a couple of hours ago. About to water plants in the yard; it's 90 degrees now.

Quote from: spork on August 09, 2020, 02:37:38 PM

That may not be helping at all.

Or maybe it's fine.

I've not been able to run the last couple of days. I've been feeling very sore and achy in my ankles and shins and calves, and needed to take a couple of days off to let that ease.* I've been worrying about things like shin splints, but don't those usually show up for people who run more than 3.5 miles at a time, with two to four walking breaks when it gets too hard?

* I'm hesitant about pushing myself when I'm not feeling it, for fear that it will become an obligation rather than a relaxing way to relieve stress and listen to an audio book while admiring neighborhood gardens.

FishProf

Good news, the night splint seems to b e taming the Achilles tendinitis and  I can sleep with it.  Now I can be NOT run in this heat and humidity in comfort.

ohnoes

Quote from: ergative on August 13, 2020, 02:10:57 AM
* I'm hesitant about pushing myself when I'm not feeling it, for fear that it will become an obligation rather than a relaxing way to relieve stress and listen to an audio book while admiring neighborhood gardens.

For years, my training philosophy has been "there's no need to make a point in training runs." If running isn't going to work, I'll sub in biking, walking, or something else to meet whatever the day's goal happens to be. 

Jack Reacher doesn't care whether I am running or walking.  Well, he might.  But Reacher says nothing.

MarathonRunner

I'm currently training for three virtual races: 26.1 km (Virtual Canada Army Run), 10 km (Virtual Run to End Endo), and half-marathon/21.1 km (Virtual Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront). Once those are complete by the end of October, I'll start training for a spring marathon. If "live" races aren't back by then I'll find a virtual marathon to run. In the past I've run 3 full marathons, over a dozen half-marathons, and completed two sprint triathlons. Another triathlon next summer is possible if I can get back into the pool (currently they are closed in my jurisdiction).

ergative

Quote from: MarathonRunner on August 22, 2020, 07:30:41 AM
I'm currently training for three virtual races: 26.1 km (Virtual Canada Army Run), 10 km (Virtual Run to End Endo), and half-marathon/21.1 km (Virtual Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront). Once those are complete by the end of October, I'll start training for a spring marathon. If "live" races aren't back by then I'll find a virtual marathon to run. In the past I've run 3 full marathons, over a dozen half-marathons, and completed two sprint triathlons. Another triathlon next summer is possible if I can get back into the pool (currently they are closed in my jurisdiction).

Good luck, buddy! I hope you have something good to listen to.

Both the weather and my own health (cramps) prevented me from doing much this week, but I managed a little over three miles today (with three or four walks/pauses) and felt great at the end.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: MarathonRunner on August 22, 2020, 07:30:41 AM

Good for you!

I've been watching the forecasts and I think we're a week or two away from the sort of weather that allows for morning runs.  I can't wait.  Not running has really been a drag, particularly with COVID.

FishProf

On Monday, I went for a run, as part of my "get back into running" goal.  Today, I can walk again without limping.  Progress?

mamselle

Indeed!

I had a similar bit of progress after a folk dance class on Tuesday.

Wednesday's walking was not problematic, and I'm very glad.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

It's been pouring all day today. I'd really like to go for a run, but not enough to get soaked. If it were warmer, sure, but I don't have the gear to stay comfortable in 58F + rain. And, if I'm being honest with myself, I'm not committed enough (yet) to this new hobby to justify buying new stuff.

traductio

Ran 10k yesterday for the first time ever. It felt great -- well, hard (I've been building up to it, but 8k was the farthest I had gone so far), but great. My goal, still, is a half marathon, maybe next summer when I can train and run in races with other people. Right now I've just measured out a 5k course through my neighbourhood, which I can modify as needs be for different distances, and I tend to go out when my kids are in bed.

But I'm feeling pretty good about the 10k!

mamselle

Just ran (oops, soorry) across this...

https://www.wcvb.com/article/video-inside-look-at-virtual-running-of-2020-boston-marathon/33936387

It was posptoned, now it's virtual....just FYI...

M.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ergative on August 27, 2020, 08:46:05 AM
It's been pouring all day today. I'd really like to go for a run, but not enough to get soaked. If it were warmer, sure, but I don't have the gear to stay comfortable in 58F + rain. And, if I'm being honest with myself, I'm not committed enough (yet) to this new hobby to justify buying new stuff.

When I was a kid, the rain didn't matter (of course, that was partly because sports were compulsory at my school). It was always cold, because long-distance running was always in the fall.

Now, I don't care to get wet. And August was a very wet month. But there's bound to be a dry spell for the next month or so, so it's back to the pavement.
I know it's a genus.