Author Topic: The Running Thread  (Read 3772 times)

pgher

Re: The Running Thread
« Reply #135 on: April 03, 2021, 03:41:27 PM »
Last weekend, I had to wear long pants and a long sleeve shirt, and was a little cool. Today, I was in shorts & T-shirt and a little hot. Looks like I need to start running early morning instead of late afternoon!

ergative

• CHE Posts: 1949
« Reply #136 on: April 24, 2021, 02:55:09 AM »
The weather has been outstanding this week. Warm and sunny, exactly the right temperature for running in shorts and t-shirt without feeling too cold when I start, or overheated when I finish. I went three times this week, which is the most frequent I've managed to date this year, and it's great.

I've also splurged and bought myself some proper running shorts. Before now I've been wearing some shorts I appropriated after they'd languished for some weeks in a shared laundry room in my college apartment, which fit fine (and had great pockets for tissues/mp3 player/keys), but rubbed between my legs and the elastic is beginning to go. My current shorts are really comfortable, and a revelation about what exercise people mean when they say 'moisture wicking'. My goodness! Excellent purchase.

My next present to myself is proper running socks. I don't want to get in the situation I was in last fall, when I was regularly getting blisters on the same place on my right foot.

Also the heel pain I mentioned a few weeks ago seems to be easing a bit. I still feel it, but I've been pretty diligent about stretching out my heels, and this improvement continues even though I've been increasing my frequency (and decreasing just a bit the amount of walking I do). I'm hopeful that perhaps finally my meatsack is adjusting to this.

pgher

« Reply #137 on: April 24, 2021, 05:46:21 AM »
I'm a big fan of my Injinji toe socks. I had my doubts before I got them, but they really do make a difference.

ergative

« Reply #138 on: April 24, 2021, 05:56:33 AM »
I'm a big fan of my Injinji toe socks. I had my doubts before I got them, but they really do make a difference.

I kid you not, my first thought about toe socks for running as 'let's learn to walk before we run'. Which is misaligned, yes, but quite brilliantly so.

spork

• Distinguished Senior Member
  • CHE Posts: 18449
« Reply #139 on: April 24, 2021, 06:16:46 AM »

Never used toe socks before, but I love Vitalsox for both running and traveling. They can be rinsed in the shower and are quick to dry.

Ramadanathon of 13.1 miles completed last week at 34 F. Today I ran 8 miles at 50 F, and it was far more pleasant.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

ergative

« Reply #140 on: May 02, 2021, 01:47:13 PM »
I used my new smartwool socks for the first time today, and they were great!

I also miscalculated the temperature and wore tights, when I should have worn shorts. Oh, well.

pink_

« Reply #141 on: May 04, 2021, 03:40:32 PM »
Big fan of injinjis here too. Otherwise, I tend to get blisters under my nails and that's just gross. And painful.

spork

« Reply #142 on: May 04, 2021, 04:40:34 PM »
Big fan of injinjis here too. Otherwise, I tend to get blisters under my nails and that's just gross. And painful.

Do you drill through the nail to let the blood out?
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

pink_

« Reply #143 on: May 06, 2021, 03:02:39 PM »
I sterilize a safety pin, but same idea. It's gnarly.

spork

« Reply #144 on: May 07, 2021, 02:33:06 AM »

Poor lass. If I were there, I'd do it for you.

Any change with different brands of shoe that fit differently?