News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Good morning!

One pangram and genius this morning.  Yesterday, I got a bit beyond genius, but not as far as Beta.  I also missed lamella/lamellae, ciao_yall!  Congratulations to Langue_doc and ab_grp for making QB yesterday.

Parsaurolophus, I, too, am curious to know what your second pangram was.

LB:  yesterday, I had the "official" solution—font-triumphal.  I like phantom-multifora better!  I had phantom, but did not see multiflora.   I have a 2fer today as well. 

Happy puzzling!

Parasaurolophus

Missed a lot of easy words yesterday, but I can't believe it wouldn't take alchemical.

As for today, I'm halfway there and found another omission.
I know it's a genus.

cathwen

I also tried alchemical!  And I missed some easy words, too. 

I have just gotten to Alpha with three words left to find.  There are certain words that SB does not take, even though they are real words.  I wonder if you're thinking of the one I'm thinking of (and its compound)?

cathwen

WHOOPEE!  I just got to QB! 

ciao_yall

Quote from: cathwen on April 29, 2021, 07:57:51 AM
WHOOPEE!  I just got to QB!

Congrats!

Yes, I also tried alchemical as well as alchemic. Oh well... onward.

I woke up at 3 AM and decided to flip on the gizmo.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Wow, you are all up and at 'em way earlier than me! Big congrats on your QB, cathwen! And your 2fer! And ciao_yall's 2fer!

I am at Alpha (252) but three words to go.  I also tried alchemical yesterday.  Last words were mahimahi (thanks from a while back, Langue_doc!) and heme, which I know I have missed before.

Yesterday's LB I got morph-hifalutin.  I tried to give a not-too-obvious clue with change and be more grounded, but I couldn't think of a good way to say it without just saying it.

Still trying to finish the crossword.  One area left, and if I could just remember a particular thing... argh.  I'll get back to it.  Will go try LB and sudokus for a bit.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Congrats on all the victories!

Not too difficult bee today--I think I've seen all these words in recent puzzles.

Twofer and QB, in that order.

I got stuck on the crossword last night, so I'll have to remember to complete it before the next one comes out.

ab_grp

Congrats on the 2fer and QB, Langue_doc! Good luck on the crossword.  I finally remembered the answer I was trying to remember and was able to finish.

I also got a 2fer, very lopsided.  And a team QB, as we were down to one word left independently, it ended up being the same word, and husband stumbled onto it first.  I don't think I would have found it myself.  At least I don't remember it from before but will try to remember it going forward.

Langue_doc

If you're thinking of the 10-letter word, I don't think I've seen it on the bee either. I tried the word, and much to my surprise, it worked.

Lopsided or not, a twofer is a twofer, as long as it's accepted. Congrats!

ab_grp

Thanks! I actually got the 10, though I'm not sure I remembered it being in there before, either.   We were missing a 6-letter word that I don't think I've ever head of before, but I am not very well versed in that particular area of endeavor.   I have now seen a picture, though.  I hope that helps with remembering.

Sounds like you might not have a lopsided solution, so now I have another to look for! Since LB is not my strong suit, I figure if it seems like others here have found something different it gives me some practice to try to find another solution, if that makes any sense.  I have a bunch of pocket contenders that might go together somehow. 

Langue_doc

ab_grp, are you thinking of the harbinger of spring? It's a common word up here and further northeast.

ab_grp

After looking it up again with those words, I guess I am! I always think of a robin as the harbinger of spring, probably because that was the sentence used in whatever grade when we learned the word harbinger.  I guess there are other harbingers of spring! In any case, I don't remember them from PA, though there was something at my house that apparently had them, and I didn't know what they were called at the time.   New word for me! Thanks for mentioning that, because I hadn't seen my house thing in the list of things associated with this word when I first looked it up.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Amazing with a pangram. It's going to be a long one today, so I might not have the time or inclination to look for more words.

ostrich/hangup; took me a long time to find the mate for the former.

ab_grp, I'm used to the plural, catkins, but found the word right away, I don't think I've ever used the singular form of this word just because of the context.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning, everyone!

Like Langue_doc, I am at amazing with the pangram.  I'll just be happy to make genius today.

Yesterday's LB:  catchup-purposing.  I was a little surprised that LB accepted catchup as a single word rather than as a hyphenated one.  But then, the "official" answer was purchasing-gotcha, and I never think of gotcha as a possibility.  I wish I'd seen ostrich—I like Langue_doc's answer!

I have a 2fer today that consists of standard words (and is a little boring). 

Happy puzzling!

Parasaurolophus

Yesterday it rejected nictitating and actinic.
I know it's a genus.