News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Immediately after posting, I found two more for 13 points. But I'm definitely stuck again, and probably will be until the end of the day.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Just inched up to 45. Still on 'Great'.

ab_grp

Quote from: reener06 on October 07, 2020, 03:55:48 PM
I'm down to needing one five-letter word to be Queen Bee and I'm done. They should allow dudette, among other things. Grrr. I did get to genius halfway through first cup. Some letter combinations fire my brain; others do not.

What did the final word end up being? For us it was "outdo"... I always miss those for some reason.  Totally agree on dudette!

Today was short but tough.  We ended up comparing once we reached genius, and then I figured out the final word, but at least there weren't a ton of words I thought should be in there that weren't this time.

Langue_doc

Felt like a marathon today, but I made it.

Parasaurolophus

Had a glance and saw the pangram and a few more. Not there yet, but probably by the end of the day!
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Yesterday was a haul and not helped by husband having to go into the office and stay longer than planned, so we finally finished up in the evening and had to look at the final words.  Colcannon! Argh! And also vanillin.  I am also still mad about dudette given that they had phat the other day.

Today I am having an interesting experience.  Usually I kill the app so it resets (otherwise, the following day it sometimes just shows me at Queen Bee with the previous days letters), but sometimes I don't if I'm going to do some archived crosswords.  I hadn't, so I thought I did that this morning, but when I opened the app it had me at 0 points and with new letters but with Queen Bee! I figured I'd just go for it and see what happens.  I'm now at 48 words and 888 points.  I guess after starting to input words it put me at some really high point count.  I have been taking screen shots because it's just funny to me.  But I figure I must have surpassed genius by now, if each word is at least 4 points and it's only 169 to genius.  Plus I have a bunch of longer words.  It hadn't changed my status before (to good start, moving up, etc.), but genius usually changes the screen briefly, so I thought maybe it would do something at that point.  Anyway, I guess I still have some words left to find.  We shall see what happens if I can find all of them before something happens that resets the app.  I'm trying not to leave the bee, though I usually try to get the crossword done first.  An exciting day in the NYT games app! Has anyone had this happen before?

Langue_doc

ab_grp, what app are you using? Spelling Bee saves my entries so I can use my desktop, kindle, phone, and occasionally my laptop depending on when I'm playing.

All I need today is a six-letter word. Pullup is a no-no.

ab_grp

Quote from: Langue_doc on October 10, 2020, 08:39:18 AM
ab_grp, what app are you using? Spelling Bee saves my entries so I can use my desktop, kindle, phone, and occasionally my laptop depending on when I'm playing.

All I need today is a six-letter word. Pullup is a no-no.

I use the NYT Crossword app.  I use the desktop login to play sudoku, because I am slow enough at that without trying to do it on my phone through the website, and it is not in the app (yet?).

Good luck finding the final word! Could it be a 5 letter and a 4 letter? I realized my reasoning before was faulty, thinking that if each is at least 4 letters (thinking 4 points for those), I must be at least at genius.  It turned out when comparing to my husband's that I was at genius, but I am the one who always reminds him that 4-letter words are only 1 point, so I guess I was too aflutter about the app shenanigans. 

Looks like I have only a few more words to find so am just going to run the program to see what happens when I get to real QB.  Probably nothing exciting, but I feel like I am stuck in this app until I finish this today.  Then onto the crosswords! Given the total points and number of words I have left, some must be 4-letter, but I feel like I have tried everything I can think of. 

Langue_doc

I use my kindle for most of the games, as I've found that the crossword doesn't show up properly on my phone. I start on the Spelling Bee first thing every morning, even before getting caffeinated.

I did find the last word--I typed in a sequence of letters that turned out to be an actual word. I'll keep coming back to it as I often find more words later in the day.

Vanillin was a surprise, as were anion and anionic.

The mini is one of my favorites. I also work on Letter Boxed, but don't always manage to get all the letters into three or four words, which is my maximum (I have my own rules).

Hope you made it to QB.

ab_grp

I had to change some of the settings on my phone so that the crossword appeared the way I wanted it to.  A big help was changing the font size! But if I had a tablet or such, I would prefer to use that.  I will have to check with my Kindles! One is eight years old (Kindle Fire).  The other is one of the new paperwhites.  I'm not sure if the older one has the ability to access that app, and the newer one might not be much bigger display than my phone.  Still, I never thought of using either of them!

Congrats on finding the last word! We hacked at it and hacked at it and finally just ran the programs.  Mine found three longer words that we had missed somehow.  I had to look up the final word on the answer site so husband did not have to plow through a huge list of four-letter words.  The final one was pretty dumb, in my opinion.

So what happened when I finally inputted that four-letter word? Nothing! It said "Nice!", added 1 point to my total, and then just sat there.  So I ended up with a purported 939 points.  I finally backed out of the Bee to get to the crosswords, went back in, and was told I was Queen Bee with yesterday's total points and number of words.  Now I just went back in and it has reset and shows me at QB with the correct totals for today.  I don't know why glitches amuse me so much.  Thanks for the QB wishes!

I like the mini, too.  I usually start with the Bee, working on it while I am getting ready first thing in the morning.  Then we make coffee, and I try to go back and do the mini and then the regular daily crosswords.  Then back to the Bee until I at least get Genius, and over to Wordscapes to do that daily puzzle.  Then back to the Bee.  I have tried Letter Boxed but don't find it very intuitive for some reason.  Maybe I just need to keep at it.  I definitely understand having your own rules.

Langue_doc

Spelling Bee would on your Kindle Fire. Mine dates back to 2014. All you need is your anytime username and password.

ab_grp

Quote from: Langue_doc on October 10, 2020, 12:39:58 PM
Spelling Bee would on your Kindle Fire. Mine dates back to 2014. All you need is your anytime username and password.

Thanks! I dug out the old Kindle and got some charge in it but don't see the app in the store.  I am probably doing something wrong and will have to look into it more.  Maybe my device is too old? It uses Amazon App Store for Android.

Langue_doc

There isn't any app for the Spelling Bee. I think I just typed my username and password. NYTimes used to have an app for the kindle but discontinued it a few years ago.

If you can access your NYTimes account on the internet on Kindle, you should be able to access the games as well.

ab_grp

Oh, that makes sense.  I'll see if I can access it through the site instead.  Too bad that they discontinued the app, though.

reener06

What is up with today? I thought Monday was easier. Blech. I hate these letters.I got to  Amazing, and have 31 points to go. Blech.