News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

I didn't know there was a level past Genius!

That said, I only play the free version these days. I got sick of finding words that Spelling Bee doesn't accept. This morning's was MILT.

Langue_doc

I'd assumed that QB was another name for genius.

nebo113

Quote from: ab_grp on October 16, 2020, 12:49:05 PM
There was a nice, long article about the bee in the NYT today: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/16/crosswords/spellingbee-puzzles.html

I found it interesting that a reasonably small percentage of people reach genius and that QB is apparently an easter egg level? The article mentions that genius is actually the official top level.

Thanks.

ab_grp

Well, QB is all the possible points, and genius is about 70% of possible points.  I have always shot for QB, because I thought that was the point, but it's good to know genius is the official goal.  Today is shorter, but I have still not gotten to genius.  Some days are definitely more challenging than the others.  It would be interesting to know which letter combos, numbers of words, and so forth are associated with more or fewer people getting to genius.  I would like a look at the data! But it also made me wonder if those counts take into account folks like those on this thread who play the free version and can only go so far before being cut off, as that would have an impact on the percentages reaching genius. 

Langue_doc

I got today's pangram, but am still looking for what must be very obviously common words.

ab_grp

Quote from: Langue_doc on October 17, 2020, 10:24:03 AM
I got today's pangram, but am still looking for what must be very obviously common words.

The pangram popped right out at me, but then I got stuck in the sludge.  Finally, spouse and I both got to genius and compared lists and had only 7 or so points left to QB.  We probably should have gotten one of the two words that were left at that point.  Oh well.  I hope you had some luck with your efforts!

ciao_yall

I'm doing the free version and got the panagram first. Then it cut me off... Oh well.

ab_grp

Quote from: ciao_yall on October 17, 2020, 04:16:29 PM
I'm doing the free version and got the panagram first. Then it cut me off... Oh well.

What is the criterion for cutting you off? Is it if you get so many points, or spend so much time, or something like that? Sorry you get cut off like that.

Langue_doc

I'm still suck, but have been out and about, so I don't think I'll get around to looking for more words tonight.

Parasaurolophus

Yesterday, it didn't accept 'decile'.
I know it's a genus.

OneMoreYear

I'm playing the free version; after it kicks me off, I write down more words and compare to answer key, so I'm never sure exactly how well I've done, but I'm happy if I get most words and the pangrams.
Today, it kicked me off after I entered 3 words (including the pangram, what else cold it be?). There must not be that many words today.

Langue_doc

Today's was short, but not sweet.

ab_grp

I was mad that decile was not included.  And yet pfft has been in there a couple times lately! Pfft!! I have reached genius but not QB so far today.  Due to the letter placement, it seems as though it's going to be one of those bookkeeping types.  Yesterday was as well.

Langue_doc

Today's was easy. I got to genius, but have to wait until later to find more words.

ab_grp

I am stuck with about 7 points left to QB but hope to get them.  I got the final word on my own again yesterday and hope the streak continues! I'm probably jinxing myself.  There were a bunch of easy words today, but I did get stuck now and again before either just guessing a word that worked or realizing I had overlooked a very easy word.