News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Quote from: ciao_yall on November 25, 2020, 07:48:38 AM
Is this the one with an "I" in the middle? It took a word I thought would be a foreign word.

That's the one. It didn't accept fortition.

It's 165 scores for genius.

ab_grp

It seems to be hit or miss whether various foods and/or foreign words will be accepted today.  I'm at 174 but really plodding along now.

ciao_yall

Wouldn't take MARL this morning.

ab_grp

I was wondering why they wouldn't take nori yesterday but would take roti.  And of course, callaloo is always a bee favorite.  Is it because the word is Japanese? I don't understand some of the distinctions at times.

About 20 more points to QB today and taking a break from it. 

ciao_yall

Letterboxed - solved with 3 a few times, but not getting close to 2. I need that long word that eats up a lot of letters.

Yesterday I solved with SUBATOMIC-CURVY but they had BOMBASTIC-CURVY. So we both duplicated a letter.

ab_grp

I'm going to have to try Letterboxed again.  It just hasn't clicked for me in the past, for whatever reason.  Do  you have any tips for how to approach solving? It seems like you could just start at any of the letters, but my mind can't seem to handle that many degrees of freedom.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ab_grp on November 26, 2020, 08:45:15 AM
I'm going to have to try Letterboxed again.  It just hasn't clicked for me in the past, for whatever reason.  Do  you have any tips for how to approach solving? It seems like you could just start at any of the letters, but my mind can't seem to handle that many degrees of freedom.

I look for long words first, and try to use up weird letters early. That may not be the best strategy, though!
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Thanks! I have tried today's a few times.  The first time, I found a longer word later on, so the second time I tried with that one first.  But I realized that it's probably better to try to find a pangram of sorts rather than reusing letters? Does anyone know if there is something similar to the bee solver page that says what the minimum possible words is? That's probably a dumb question.  I'll look for one later but will keep trying different assortments.  My minimum so far is three words.  I keep getting boxed into a corner with having to start with a letter that doesn't let me use up the other remaining letters very well, so I'll have to work on that.  I also tend to go clockwise, so I guess I'll have to try to think more broadly about where to start and how to move between sides. 

nebo113

Quote from: OneMoreYear on November 25, 2020, 08:28:03 AM
Quote from: nebo113 on November 25, 2020, 04:44:38 AM
Is there any way to know if there is more than one pangram?

If you go to the Spelling bee answers page https://www.nytbee.com/ it will tell you how many pangrams and how many words. You have to click on the show answers link to actually see the answers, so the answers are not spoiled if you just want to know how many pangrams there are.

Thanks.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 26, 2020, 09:50:25 AM
Quote from: ab_grp on November 26, 2020, 08:45:15 AM

I look for long words first, and try to use up weird letters early. That may not be the best strategy, though!

Yes, me too. Find words that eat up a lot of letters, or odd combinations. Sometimes just consuming a bunch of letters then staring at what is left helps.

I start off playing around, then find some good words that use a lot of letters, then keep going.

Today's? I have yet to solve lower than 3 words. But hey, apparently the goal was 6 words or fewer, so I guess that's kind of a win?

Parasaurolophus

Got today's right quick. Now for QB...
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Letterboxed - solving with 3 pretty easily. Now, 2? I'd be there now if it wasn't for the letters on the same side.

Langue_doc

I can usually solve Letter Boxed with three words, but managed to get all the letters in just two words yesterday.

I got the pangram early on the last few days, and made it to QB yesterday. As for today's puzzle, I have 143 points--got the pangram while still on 'solid'.

ab_grp

I will have to keep practicing at Letterboxed! I manage to get in under the target number of words, but there's still more to aim for.

For the bee today, it took me a while to find a pangram.  Then I got to genius and was stuck for a bit.  Then I stumbled on a couple words, and now I'm at about 27 points from QB.  We'll see.

Langue_doc

It took me a lot of practicing to get to three words in Letter-Boxed. There are days when I've just given up as my goal for this puzzle is three words (or four if I'm desperate). Today's was quite easy, so I managed to get all the letters into two words.

I don't think I'll get to QB today as there are the crosswords from Thursday and Friday that I haven't even looked at.