News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Yesterday I did get to 2 - it was pretty straightforward once I got my head around it.

Spelling bee wouldn't take TEFF this morning.

Okay, off to today's Letterboxed!

ciao_yall

Quote from: Langue_doc on November 28, 2020, 10:22:14 AM
It took me a lot of practicing to get to three words in Letter-Boxed. There are days when I've just given up as my goal for this puzzle is three words (or four if I'm desperate). Today's was quite easy, so I managed to get all the letters into two words.

I don't think I'll get to QB today as there are the crosswords from Thursday and Friday that I haven't even looked at.

3 words is coming pretty easily today. The J is driving me batty.

ab_grp

I got three words in Letterboxed today after starting over and trying to get a word with a J first to get it out of the way.  But if it can be done in two, I want to give that a shot!

We did get to QB after comparing our lists today.  As for the crossword, I have been so off this week with regard to which day it is, so I thought today was Monday instead of Saturday.  At least it wasn't a typically difficult Saturday! If you are talking about NYT, Langue_doc, good luck with Thursday and Friday.  They took me a little while longer than today's.

ETA: Okay, I managed to wrangle Letterboxed in two words! But I actually did not know the second one was a word.  I had a word in mind, but two of the consecutive letters were on the same side, so I decided to just try without the one, and I guess it ended up being a correct answer. 

Langue_doc

As for the J, think vehicle, plural, and then you can get the second word. I'm typing this on my Kindle, which promptly mangled both your names.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Langue_doc on November 28, 2020, 12:30:12 PM
As for the J, think vehicle, plural, and then you can get the second word. I'm typing this on my Kindle, which promptly mangled both your names.

Yeah I had a pretty good first word using up the J. Then I just played around and got a second word which I didn't think was a word, either.

ETA: And, the second word isn't in the merriam-webster dictionary, either.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Langue_doc on November 28, 2020, 12:30:12 PM

Ooh, I found your word, which definitely sets up a better second word.

Langue_doc

My second word is a commonly used one. I'll post both words tomorrow.

ETA I think we both posted our replies at the same time.

ab_grp

Thanks for the vehicle hint, Langue_doc! I was also able to identify that one with your help and find a second word that worked.  I'll be interested to see what we each came up with for the two words.  Hopefully I can remember which ones I found earlier.

nebo113

Found pangram first!  It will be downhill from here!

ab_grp

The pangram jumped right out at me today, too! Now I'm at a little over genius and in diminishing returns again.  Time to do other things and let see if that helps. 

For the Letterboxed from yesterday, my initial two-word solve entries were jailers and spotch.  I was going for splotch, but I guess p and l were on the same side, so I figured I'd try spotch to use up the remaining letters, and it worked, though it is not a word I have heard of.

Langue_doc

I got the pangram quite early, then made it to genius and got stuck.

As for today's Letter-Boxed, I found two separate words for J, but couldn't get the rest of the letters into a single word, so it looks like a three-word solution for me.

Thank you, ab_grp, for posting the two words. These were most likely ciao_yall's words as well.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Langue_doc on November 29, 2020, 01:19:13 PM
I got the pangram quite early, then made it to genius and got stuck.

As for today's Letter-Boxed, I found two separate words for J, but couldn't get the rest of the letters into a single word, so it looks like a three-word solution for me.

Thank you, ab_grp, for posting the two words. These were most likely ciao_yall's words as well.

Yesterday I had been thinking about the vehicle word (darn, no Y) until you pointed out that it could be plural. Yes, I also had JAILERS and SPOTCH.

The two-word solution uses several hard letters in one word. I had several options for the other word, either starting or ending.

Langue_doc

Thanks for the hint!

ETA Two words, finally, a flower and a word  that reminds me of Christmas carols.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Langue_doc on November 29, 2020, 01:59:25 PM
Thanks for the hint!

ETA Two words, finally, a flower and a word  that reminds me of Christmas carols.

Really? I had a unit of energy and something that reminded me of orthodontia.

ETA: I found one flower. Now my husband thinks I'm insane singing Christmas carols trying to come up with inspiration for the second word.