News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Mes condoléances, ab_grp. I, too, am very sorry to hear about your father-in-law.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Thanks, Parasaurolophus! Or, merci beaucoup, I guess.  I took French for several years, but for some reason that just slipped my mind, and I thought "gracias." 

I'm still working on LB here and there and have 13 contenders but can't find mates for any of them.  One of them has got to be a solution component.  Maybe.  Several of them use up a darn lot of the letters, but the remaining ones are not being helpful right now or are on the same side.

ciao_yall

Finally got a 2fer after a zillion 3fers. PM me if you want a hint. Not sure it's the official solution so I may go back for more to see if I can consolidate some of the 3fers.

Genius on SB. Kind of a boring one - not much variety.

Also did the puzzles in the magazine. What an exciting day.

ab_grp

I also picked up several more contender words but finally got a 2-fer with an earlier one that I thought was promising (after many tries). 

Agreed that today's bee is not that exciting.  Luckily, not too long or tough overall, either. 

I did today's easy sudoku yesterday and started on the medium, returned to medium today and finally got that finished in ~30 mins, and did the hard one in about 22 but had to check my answers and delete some of them. 

Langue_doc

Woohoo for all the two-fers! We probably have different words. I'm pleased with mine as they seemed appropriate, and are ones that I enjoy.

ciao_yall

I don't like my words - they aren't fun or happy.

Langue_doc

I can PM you my words.

ETA Just sent you my words.

Any other requests?

ab_grp

I would like to know the words you each got.  One of mine is not so happy, and the other is pretty neutral.

Langue_doc

Just sent you my words.

ETA The second word sounds rather didactic, but it's something we enjoy, given what we have in common. At least, I do.

ab_grp

Thank ya! I enjoy both of your words.  I'd probably be more successful with the first than the second at the moment.

Langue_doc

I can see why your second word isn't a  happy one. I should probably get cracking on working on my first word, physically and practically.

ETA Tomorrow's crosswords and sudokus are up.

ab_grp

Yay! I got the tomorrow's easy sudoku done in reasonable time, but I'll wait until I have a little less brain fog and try the harder puzzles tomorrow.  Luckily, the crossword should be easy, but that is for coffee time. 

cathwen

I finally got LB, after many attempts.  One word is a common baked good, and the other is something we are all involved in.  I'll be curious to see what other people found! 

ab_grp, I am so sorry to hear about your father-in-law.

Langue_doc

Quote from: cathwen on December 27, 2020, 05:52:33 PM
I finally got LB, after many attempts.  One word is a common baked good, and the other is something we are all involved in.  I'll be curious to see what other people found! 

I think we got the same words, brownie and educate. The official words are newbie and educator. These two do go together.

Quote from: ab_grp on December 27, 2020, 04:43:24 PM
Yay! I got the tomorrow's easy sudoku done in reasonable time, but I'll wait until I have a little less brain fog and try the harder puzzles tomorrow.  Luckily, the crossword should be easy, but that is for coffee time. 

The crossword was easy--I completed it last night, after the sudokus.

Reached genius on the SB today, and made it to QB on yesterday's puzzle. There was only one strange word which I got by trying out the letters. Binning, indeed!

All I have to do today is the LB. I'm still resolutely staying away from all things academic other than going through the piles of old handouts and photocopies, and recyling them.

cathwen

Congratulations, Langue_doc, on yesterday's QB!  I don't think I've ever gotten a QB. 

We did get the same words for yesterday's LB.  I also got the 2-fer for today's LB.  It was a difficult arrangement of letters, and I just kind of stumbled on an answer. 

I, too, am staying away from anything remotely connected to the spring semester.  We start later than usual anyway (1/28), so I intend to put off the panicking until January 4.  All I really have to do, anyway, is minor tweaking.  So until then, the puzzles and some good books that my daughter (an English teacher) sent me for Christmas will fill my time.