News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Thank you for the sympathies, cathwen.  I got a different solution: CIRCUITED-DOWNBEAT.   I had a couple other contenders that seemed to have some potential, like "dancewear" or "browbeaten" or "benediction".  Never got newbie, educate, brownie, or educator! Haven't looked at today's yet.  Hopefully it will be as easy for me as it has for both of you.

I am about 7 points away from QB today.  Had to guess one word, not sure if I will find the remaining one(s).  So close. 

I hope you all get to have some time off from academic stuff and enjoy the time off (and do lots of puzzles).

Langue_doc

Did you make it to QB, ab_grp? I'm still a long way off.

Just got a two-fer in LB. Rather repetitious set of words, but a two-fer all the same.

OneMoreYear

Happy to have found the pangram and hit genius on the bee (if I've added my points correctly; I'm playing the free version). Solved the easy sudoku in under 6 minutes, which is a good time for me.

ciao_yall

My LB today was also repetitious. Probably not the official solution.

Yesterday I had browned which set up dictation (left a u) or deduction (left an a). Other good words included brownout, toucan. My 2fer was incubated-drown which wasn't as fun as any solution including the word brownie! Downbeat was also in there.

SB - At amazing and found the panagram. Wouldn't take "hella" (that California hater thing) or "alee" which is always in the crossword puzzle.

ab_grp

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 28, 2020, 09:50:35 AM
Did you make it to QB, ab_grp? I'm still a long way off.

Husband gave me a four-letter word that I had somehow overlooked, but we couldn't figure out the remaining 5-letter word that we have missed before.  Good luck!

Ciao_yall, it always bugs me when they don't take crossword answers that are not proper nouns.  Alee is one of them, aroar is another. 

I have a couple contenders for LB so far but no joy on a mate.  Congrats for all the 2-fers! I need to get back to medium sudoku, which will not be completed in an amazing time if I do complete it, but hopefully I won't have to check for errors and will be able to get to the finish.  Then more LB attempts!

ciao_yall

Achieved genius. I don't think I'll ever see QB... Too many weird words!

reener06

6 words and 35 points shy of QB. Got QB yesterday, which is rare for me. I think I'm going to call it quits for today. Lots of interesting words but I think I"m at my limit. I hate when they are obvious words though. I hope they are just odd.

ab_grp

I managed to finish the other sudokus, slowly...  had to check my answers once on the hard puzzle but not for medium, so I will take it.

LB has still got me stymied.  I am wondering if I should revisit some earlier contenders that left few remaining letters. 

Also, congrats to Langue_doc and reener06 on the QBs yesterday!

ETA: Finally got a 2-fer.  Mine are a little repetitive as well, but no complaints. ;-) As I suspected, I had to go back to an earlier contender and work with the remaining letters.

Langue_doc

Woohoo, ab_grp. I was about to send you a hint. I think you, ciao_yall (congrats!) and I probably have the same words or the same endings. I'm not revisiting LB, but would like to know (tomorrow) what you both came up with.

Congrats on the QB yesterday, reener06. I'm probably a word or two short on the QB, so I might keep trying. I think there were only about 3-4 unfamiliar words today.

ab_grp

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 28, 2020, 05:01:55 PM
Woohoo, ab_grp. I was about to send you a hint. I think you, ciao_yall (congrats!) and I probably have the same words or the same endings. I'm not revisiting LB, but would like to know (tomorrow) what you both came up with.

Thanks! I see the official is JOCULAR-RUMBLING? I had CAJOLING-GRUMBLING.  I thought I had had jocular on the list but had jugular and conjugal and think I overlooked it.  Oh well, what did everyone else have?  If the ends were repetitive, probably what I got?

ciao_yall

I also had CAJOLING-GRUMBLING. Got it almost immediately.

On to today's...

ab_grp

Okay, two the same so far.  I got grumbling as my third contender but couldn't figure out the second (first) word for a while.

But I did get to QB by myself today! So yay for that.  There are a bunch of compound words that I thought might be in there that weren't.  I'll go see about LB now.

ciao_yall

Got to genius pretty quickly this morning. I checked yesterday's SB and there are words I could have sworn I got that weren't checked off. Oh well. Doubt I'll ever see QB - between the weird words and my lack of patience I think I shall be a Bee-in-Waiting. A Beta-Bee. A Wanna-Bee.

Today's LB I sense will be one of those where it's nothing then *snap*. The RYE and STH is just... dastardly.

Langue_doc

I had cajoling and grumbling too and immediately thought of high-maintenance people who are constantly grumbling and who need cajoling. My first attempt was jumbling, but couldn't find a second word to go with it.

Last night got yesterday's QB, and completed today's sudokus and crosswords. Surprisingly easy crossword.

Today, got to genius without finding the pangram, then found the pangram--not a word that I would use. Now for the rest of the words and the QB, if that's in the cards for me.

Yays to all your victories so far and the ones to come.

ab_grp

Ciao_yall, I like Wanna-Bee.  I wish you and Langue_doc good luck with the rest of the words.  I don't think any were too obscure, except one that was in there a couple puzzles ago.  Last I heard, husband had one four-letter word left to find.  He had trouble with the pangram as well.  Interestingly (well, not interesting at all), I had a dream involving the pangram item last night or two nights ago. 

And way to go on getting ahead in the puzzles last night, Langue_doc! I got easy sudoku done and am still working away at medium.  The crossword had a number of longer entries that were pretty easy to get, so that definitely helped. 

I am also having trouble with LB letters on the same side.