News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

You the group laggard!? Hah!  You're the one who gets the two-fer on a regular basis. As for getting on the thread late, perhaps you're in a different time zone? It's almost noon here.

ciao_yall

I'm in the Pacific time zone, so I'm sure that's part of it.

Still, I like to imagine us all in our jammies around the kitchen table with our coffee, all of you yelling "2fer! Genius! Alpha" while I flail around grumbling because the site won't take HELLA or PHTHALATE or they put the ING on the same side.

ab_grp

Yay, I made it to QB! Barely.  Last word was not one I would have thought would be in there given others that weren't, so keep on trying whatever is the motto, I guess.

Ciao_yall, I meant to say thanks for the LB tip yesterday afternoon.  I worked on it on my laptop while Windows was doing its long thing on this computer, but I just couldn't get a solution.  And you definitely bring a lot of LB energy! It is fun being in different time zones.  But I'm not a morning person, so even if it were noon here I'd probably essentially be in the jammies mindset and needing coffee.

I have a contender for LB that I think has potential but am afraid I'm going to focus too much on it to the exclusion of other possibilities that actually lead to success.

Got medium sudoku done, will try hard and then back to LB.

cathwen

Wow, ab_grp, congratulations on QB!  I've made it to Alpha and am running out of ideas, so I'll be amazed if I make QB. 

Ciao_yall, laggard is the last word that comes to mind in your regard! 

ab_grp

While I have internet again, thanks, cathwen! Congrats on Alpha, and I wish you good luck in finding the remaining word(s).  Just keep trying combinations of stuff (as long as you feel like it, obviously!).  Wasn't a super satisfying puzzle, in my opinion. 

Now I've got three pretty good contenders in LB, sans mates.  Still struggling with hard sudoku.  Fortunately, neither need an internet connection once they get going, I guess. 

Langue_doc

Congrats, Queen ab_grp. Congrats on the Alpha, cathwen. I'm at Alpha and am trying to make it to QB.

Yesterday--eyeteeth, which I should have found as I've seen it before and also found, but heeltap, heptathlete?? I found telemedicine as I saw the word in some documents that my insurance carrier had sent me.

Gave up on LB--B4SS issues. i--n-g, r-a-e, and y-o-u? Sounds sadistic.

I'm stuck on the crossword. The program tells me that I'm almost there, but all the squares seem to properly filled. I'll have to take another look later as I don't want to lose my streak.

ciao_yall, I like the image of us in our jammies, all of us yelling out our successes.

ab_grp

Congrats on Alpha, Langue_doc! Good luck toward QB! And good luck with the crossword.  Maybe an issue with a person's name (or song name)? There are a couple in there that could be unfamiliar.  Hopefully the crosses will help you figure out the issue.  I would offer assistance but am not sure how to help.  Let me know if there is something I can do.  Sounds like probably not a technical foul, as that aspect is pretty straightforward, and it sounds like you are aware of the deal there.  It's frustrating when the error is elusive.

I agree that the b4ss BS today is something else. 

cathwen

Woo-hoo!  QB at last! 

ab_grp

Quote from: cathwen on February 04, 2021, 03:21:39 PM
Woo-hoo!  QB at last!

HOORAY! Congratulations, cathwen! I'll be interested to hear tomorrow if the words that gave us trouble were the same.

ciao_yall

Got a 2fer!

Sent hints to Langue-doc and ab_grp.

ab_grp

Congrats, ciao_yall! And thanks for the hint!

Langue_doc

Congrats, cathwen and ciao_yall, and thanks for the hints.

ab_grp, thanks for the offer to help with the crossword. I had all the squares filled, and was still getting the error message, so finally checked the puzzle. it turned out that I had typed a zero instead of 'o'. Headbang! Now I can work on SB and LB.

Woohoo! Got it. Thanks, ciao_yall. There's an alternative solution where the plural form of the second word comes first. So I have two solutions.

Langue_doc

Greetings all.

Genius but no pangram yet. QB yesterday.

LB--found the official solution thanks to ciao_yall's hints. Then I tried 'memorizes' as the first word and the remaining words neatly arranged themselves into 'synagogue'.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

SB - Oh I could have made QB had I stuck with it... all words I knew, but I got all hot and heavy into LB.

LB - Also played with ORGANZA, NOSEGAY but just couldn't connect them.

Congrats to everyone on already giving me a goal for today!

ab_grp

Good morning, all!

Langue_doc, I'm sorry I didn't even think of the 0 versus O issue.  It hasn't happened to me, but I've seen it in the comments numerous times.  I hope you got to keep your streak! Congrats on your QB and 2fers! And yay on genius.    Good luck with the pangram and further progress.

I got to 188 today so far (78%) with one pangram, but it's been interrupt-driven so will spend more time on it later and start on sudokus and LB.  Crossword went pretty quickly, at least.

I still didn't figure out the second word for LB but had the first one.  Oh wait, I still have the puzzle up and think I figured it out.  Yep, that was it.  Well, the first word was my first contender, but I don't think I would have gotten the second one without ciao_yall's hint, so thanks, and I'll sort of take a 2fer win on that one.  Also tried the plural of the first word, plus enzymes and mesozoan.

Have fun!