News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Morning!

LB: contorting/gadfly; wouldn't have thought of dingo as I was looking for participles. I did find an interesting word, but can't remember what it was as I didn't write it down.

QB on SB; I remembered pandit from an earlier puzzle; found dapping by playing around with the letters--haven't a clue as to its meaning.

Crossword: NE corner is blank.

Happy solving! Stay warm and don't slip on the ice.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Congrats on your 2fer, Langue_doc! I like yours better than the official solution.  I was not able to come up with one myself despite a lot of effort! I though gyrator might get me somewhere, trying to keep the Y in the middle.  Nope.

From yesterday's bee, pandit was my final word.  I guess we've had it before, but it's one I wouldn't have remembered, just hit on the letters trying to mess around with pundit.  And I have no idea what dapping is, either.  Something to do with fishing? Whatever.

Today I'm at 318 with a bit to go for Alpha and a long time until QB, if that happens. 

Good luck with the crossword.  I had a hard time with it for a bit but ended up getting there eventually.

Happy solving! Yes, those of you in icy areas, please stay safe and warm!

Langue_doc

You're ahead of me, as usual, ab_grp. I'm up to 293, and don't think I'll get to QB. Is there more than one pangram today?

ab_grp

I did find a second pangram, so if you find that you will be well on your way! There are a couple words that have dogged me in the past that I have found this time, but I'm sure there are a bunch I won't.  Who knows, there may be a third pangram with all these points left. 

ciao_yall

SB - found everything but pandit.

Now at amazing with only one pangram so far but first cup of coffee is still hot.

LB - confidant-trilogy.

Now - 3fers with odd little words tying them together so the 2fer is close.

Happy solving, all you smartypants-es!

cathwen

Good morning, all!

So yesterday we have another LB with several solutions.  I got CONTRADICTING-GADFLY.   I found a 2-fer for today's, but it took more time than usual.

Congratulations on the QBs!  I didn't get there—I missed dapping, pandit, and something else I can't remember. 

Ab_grp, you are way ahead of me on today's SB!  I'm at 242 and will be delighted to make genius. 

Parasaurolophus

Still 100 short of genius, but I think I can make it!
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Genius, 2 pangrams.

LB - 3fers coming out of my ears still. Some good words but still haven't tied them all together. I screenshot all my 3fers and 2fers b4ss and review them, so maybe I'll check those and see if there is a pattern emerging.

ab_grp

Congrats on your 2fer today, cathwen! Sounds as though it may be more of a challenge than usual.  And I hope ciao_yall is able to make the odds and ends work together!

I got past Alpha to 337 so far, still a ways to go for QB.  It is a long puzzle, but there are only a few words that are a bit obscure so far, and I think they have all been in the bee before (some recently...).  Good luck to us all!

ciao_yall

Parasaurolophus

Oof, got there in the end. Bit of a slog!
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

SB - missed gigolo and longan (argh, after all the drama about that one from last week!)

LB - got fortieth-hydrangea. Never did find any of the words from the official solution.

On to today's...

ab_grp

Good morning!

Congrats on the 2fer, ciao_yall! After about a thousand reasonable contenders, I found hydrangea in the evening but could not get a mate.  Was not near the schmofficial solution.  I am partial to yours!

Congrats, Parasarurolophus! Did you get to QB? It was a slog, for sure. 

Husband and I both got to Alpha so finally compared in the hopes that we could get a team QB.  Nope.  He gave me lain (really?!), glia, glial, and I gave him a couple longer words I forget, but we could not get galangal.  Argh.  And I was determined not to miss longan again after all the times it has bitten me.  Why do they have lanai in there but not loggia?

Today I am at 229, so still not Alpha for a bit but might get there.  Finally got a pangram!

Langue_doc

Glia and glial indeed. Reached genius, but no pangram yet.There's still the crossword to complete before 6.

Didn't have the time or energy to work on puzzles yesterday. The sun's out today, and it's going to be warmer which means that I'll be able to get the car out without having to shovel or extricate it from the icy street by Monday or Tuesday.

ciao_yall

Found a great word on LB which uses almost all the letters, but alas, only yields a 3fer.

I would post this under "very exciting posts" but nobody on that thread would understand.