News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB: Couldn't figure out the second pangram so went to the Wordplay blog where I got monophonic as well as cioppino and nincompoop. QB!

LB: chump-periwinkle as well.

Just getting started - happy solving!

cathwen

I finally made genius, and I'm happy with that.  I have no QB aspirations today—but I'll check back from time to time and play with it a little more.  There are allegedly 11 more words hiding there! 

ciao_yall

Quote from: cathwen on May 03, 2021, 08:16:26 AM
I finally made genius, and I'm happy with that.  I have no QB aspirations today—but I'll check back from time to time and play with it a little more.  There are allegedly 11 more words hiding there!

Ditto. At "great" ETA: "Amazing" with 2 pangrams. Did get a 2fer pretty quickly.

ab_grp

Congrats on the 2fer, ciao_yall.  I have a couple contenders, including some words that the bee didn't take today!

As for the bee, we have already moved on to comparing hashes and have identified that I need at least one C and one T, and he needs at least one V, and we may need others.  Not sure how long they are, as we haven't moved to that level yet.  But based on the initial hash comparison, we each got a few words, so I am at 211 now with 6 to go (including the C and T).  Still not Alpha, but at least we are slowly getting somewhere, albeit impurely.

ciao_yall

Ugh, I'm in the slog. Amazing, 2 pangrams, made up a word and it took. STILL IN AMAZING!!!! Grrr.

Langue_doc

Above genius, but will have to stay there as I have grading and a couple of other commitments today and tomorrow.

Easy twofer, so I'm satisfied with my progress.

ab_grp

Woohoo! Got a 2fer, and I like my solution set. 

cathwen

Congratulations on the 2fers, everyone!  It sounds as though we all found solutions relatively easily, so I'll be looking forward to comparing tomorrow. 

SB:  I got to Beta (after swearing off SB for the day—hah!) and also had the experience of inventing a word that turned out to be accepted.  Ciao_yall, I wonder if we "invented" the same word?  Six words to go.  Argh...

ab_grp

Congrats on getting to Beta (or beyond), cathwen! We got down to one word left and finally gave up.  I swear I tried it along with every other possible combination, but oh well.  Good enough for me for this slog of a day.

And congrats on your 2fer, Langue_doc!

ciao_yall

Parasaurolophus

I've been in a weird slump this last week. I keep getting close to genius but missing the mark.

I have two pangrams today but am still a ways away.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Missed appetitive and titivate; these don't sound like English words, so I'm not too concerned about missing them. Genius today, with a pangram.

Letup/provocation; found the latter first, then tried putting together the remaining letters to form the first word which, much to my surprise, was accepted.

Another long day, so might look in but not post.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

Today's SB is at amazing with the pangram. 

Yesterday, I missed tacet, pepita, tippet, acetate, evictee, and titivate on yesterday's SB.  I'm annoyed about acetate, because I had acetic!  Oh well.  Titivate is a new word for me; I would never have guessed it in a million years.  The word I "invented"—and I wonder if ciao_yall "invented" the same one?—was appetitive.  I mean, really? 

Parasaurolophus, the darned thing about these really high scoring SBs is that you can be at amazing for an awfully long time, even with the pangram(s). 

As for LB, my 2fer yesterday was crepe-evolutional. I do not yet have a 2fer today—it's a hard one!

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning:

SB - cathwen, I invented vitiate and it turned out to be a thing. Lots of new words yesterday, including ones I couldn't get even with the blog hints. So QBAM will elude me for a while.

LB - crepe-evaluation. Interesting with the X in today's.

Happy solving!

cathwen