News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

SB - in the endless "amazing" slog. I find a tricky word and boom, still "amazing."

LB - yay found a 3fer! So cathwen gives me hope that I may eventually find a 2fer.

ab_grp

Good morning!

My LB was preternatural-locative.  Hadn't heard of the second word, but it took it! Another group of different solutions, which is always fun.

We missed titivate as well.  Vitiate is the word I meant to type something else for but got accepted, and I guessed appetitive (which is the one that got me to genius).

Doing pretty well today, only 3 words left to QB, but not at Alpha because two of them are long (of course)!

Congrats on your 2fer, cathwen!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Just made genius. I worship you QB-ers.

2fer!

ab_grp

Congrats on your 2fer, ciao_yall!

I just got a 2fer as well, though I swear one of the words was just part of a solution recently.  At least it primed me, I guess!

cathwen

Congratulations on your 2fers, ciao_yall and ab_grp! 

I am at Alpha, with three words to go.  Ugh!

ab_grp

Good luck, cathwen! I did get to QB and am sending you juju!

cathwen

Congratulations, ab_grp, and thanks for the juju!  I'm now two words from QB, 6 and 7 letters. 

ab_grp

I hope you got to QB, cathwen! But congrats regardless!

Just reporting that according to sam ezersky tomorrow's bee may be a "doozy".... Interested to see!

Langue_doc

Thanks for the heads up, ab_grp. It's going to be another long day tomorrow, but I did make it to QB, and also solved tomorrow's crosswords.

ciao_yall

Got some help from the Wordplay blog. Missing one sailing term.

Parasaurolophus

Broke my streak and made it to genius. Phew!
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Made it to genius; lost count of the pangrams.

Happy solving, all.

cathwen

Good morning!

Doozy is right!  Today's SB is really something.  I'm at amazing with four pangrams (there are six).  I will be more than happy with genius today.

I missed QB yesterday by one word—ragtag. I don't know why that didn't occur to me—it should have been obvious.  Langue_doc and ab_grp, congratulations on QB!  And Parasaurolophus, congratulations on breaking your streak and getting to genius! 

My LB solution was the same as the "official" one—fabulist-toxicity.  Did anyone get anything different?

I have found a 2fer today, too.

Happy puzzling! 

OneMoreYear

I don't foresee getting through today's. 6 pangrams!
Yesterday, did not get ratatat, which I think I've missed before. How is this word an acceptable one in the bee? Isn't it usually spelled with hyphens? I am not a good speller, so I may be confused here.

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - Learned a new word - taiga. The Wordplay blog said there was a sailing term but I went to different sailing glossary sites and didn't find it. Then I Googled it and it turns out it is another term for "snow forest" or "boreal forest." That was the one word that kept me from an aided-recall QB.

LB - fabulist-toxicity as well.

Happy solving!