News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Inhale Thread !

Started by mamselle, June 14, 2019, 06:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Continuing, for those full-out, unimpeded celebrations!

One of my adult music students is working on a suite of three pieces, which is stretching her concentration and other skills in a good way.

Her lesson last night, in which she'd made solid progress in each of the parts of the suite, was something like a quiet revelation to both of us--like seeing the sky on the way to pushing a big boulder up a hill.

She always plays well, but sometimes a bit dutifully. This time she really put herself into it and it showed in several places. When I said, "Really good, that's definite progress," she breathed, looked up, and said, "Yes. Much better."

It was just a lovely, agreeable moment.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

traductio

I submitted the final version of a book manuscript yesterday. It's monograph number 3 for me, and the one I wrote 'cuz it was fun and I wanted to.

I got tenure not too long ago and have taken advantage of it. If the book didn't get published, it didn't matter, at least as far as my career was concerned. So I could write it exactly as I wanted to, and I did. Surprisingly (or not, I'm not sure), it's the only book I've gotten through the review process in one round. One reviewer even says "publish as is." (Reviewer B gave a classic Reviewer B review.)

So I'm pretty happy about that!

mamselle

Whooo-Hooo!

Impressive.

Glad it was fun, too.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

turing_complete

I was just awarded a fancy new research chair.  More time and funds for research, a larger group of grad students/postdocs, and a reduced teaching load (but not 0; I had a 0 teaching load for a couple of years for administrative reasons, and I couldn't stand it—I didn't take this job to not teach).

Scout

Quote from: turing_complete on June 30, 2019, 08:11:31 AM
I was just awarded a fancy new research chair.  More time and funds for research, a larger group of grad students/postdocs, and a reduced teaching load (but not 0; I had a 0 teaching load for a couple of years for administrative reasons, and I couldn't stand it—I didn't take this job to not teach).

That's fantastic!

I start my new job as Dean tomorrow

turing_complete

Quote from: Scout on June 30, 2019, 03:29:17 PM

Good luck!  I hope you can accomplish good things!

Department chair, I'm willing to take my turn at.  Dean, you are braver than I.

ciao_yall

Quote from: turing_complete on June 30, 2019, 04:45:51 PM
Quote from: Scout on June 30, 2019, 03:29:17 PM

Good luck!  I hope you can accomplish good things!

Department chair, I'm willing to take my turn at.  Dean, you are braver than I.

Congratulations!

Our college just promoted two excellent people so there is hope in this world.

octoprof

I'm on vacation, sort of. I'm still working on research and teaching online, but I'm far from home and from campus. Today has been one of those rare glorious days when the weather is just right and I have nothing pressing that must be done. I have biked a little, walked a little, taken photographs, listened to the sounds of nature, and generally just done nothing. Aaaaaaaaaah.
Welcome your cephalopod overlord.

drbrt

I'm taking an actual vacation. On the first safari drive, we saw four of the big five animals. I might even be relaxed enough to go to the conference I'm technically here for after this.

octoprof

Today on my bike ride I found a butcher shop open in the otherwise deserted and foodless village. So exciting. I get to have protein in every meal today.

paddington_bear

Today I had a great, unsolicited conversation with an incoming minority student about minority literature and culture, what I teach, and the importance of representation in education. Paddington U is mostly white and most of the students of color aren't expressly interested in issues of  race or diversity, etc., either in terms of the curriculum or campus activities.  (One of many reasons that I want to - finally - get up out of here.) I was so excited to have this conversation with the student. I feel seen!

octoprof

I biked about 10k today. Not much but more than I've been able to do in the past week or so.

paultuttle

My newer BP medicine makes me dizzy and faint when the outside temp gets above about 85 degrees Fahrenheit, so I've been scared to walk around my neighborhood in the mornings (evenings are out of the question right now).

My husband gently suggested this morning that I try, so I did. It was just barely cool enough for a nice walk of about 30 minutes. It was great to be outside around all the lush greenery, listening to the birds and watching the various little animals in the nearby park run around (or fly around) doing their thing.

Really a great start to the day!

mamselle

Listening to my bright, chatty little 5-year-old keyboard student as she talks her way through fingerings, rhythms, and note-names, I was struck by how cheerfully she manages all those tasks, and how satisfied we both were as she finished a piece, playing it well.

It's truly a joy to recognize your small part in someone else's pleasure. She'd play well for almost anyone, she's a good kid; what a gift to be allowed to be present to her birthing of herself in her work.

M.

phattangent

Quote from: octoprof on July 20, 2019, 05:14:32 AM
I biked about 10k today. Not much but more than I've been able to do in the past week or so.
Such a good feeling. I "try" get in ~32k when I can devote two hours to relaxing cycling.
I fully expected to find a Constable in the kitchen, waiting to take me up. -- Pip in Great Expectations by Charles Dickens