Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Inhale Thread !

Started by mamselle, June 14, 2019, 06:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: ergative on February 13, 2021, 06:26:19 AM
Dear Dr Ergative,

. . . Assuming that these issues can be resolved in a manner that doesn't cause fundamental problems for your analysis, I anticipate that we will be able to accept the paper after your next revision (perhaps pending minor changes) . . .

Best,
Editor in Chief of Absolutely Positively Top Journal in Your Field

Awesome!

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Harlow2

Fantastic news, EPW!

Looks like the threatened ice storm is relatively minor, and the resulting ice should quickly melt in the morning. I'll finally get to see my family again.

San Joaquin

Oh hallelujah, we are officially approved for ten more years!  A stream of now-defunct worry bubbles floats off my shoulders and into the nought.

namazu

Congrats, San_Joaquin, ergative, and Vkw10!

My sister scored vaccine appointments for herself (young, but with an autoimmune disease) and for my parents (both 70+ with coexisting conditions) this week.  My MIL (in a different state) got her 2nd dose on Sunday and after about 16 hours of unpleasantness, is fine and on her way to greater immunity.

Harlow2

ergative

Smaller inhale, but I've been feeling behind, scrabbling, working late all week. And then today I looked up at noon and discovered that I've finished my tasks for the week, I'm prepped for next week, and I have all afternoon to work on the revisions for that paper I posted about upthread! But first, a proper lunch break!

nonsensical

It is wonderful to read about the happy things happening with all of you. Congratulations to you all.

I drove alone today for the first time in years, did not cause injury to any people or property, and did not upset other drivers - or at least, didn't upset them enough that they let me know. I'm taking driving lessons as a refresher and still have some more of those to go, but I'm proud of myself for accomplishing my errand safely.

Vkw10

Quote from: nonsensical on March 06, 2021, 07:44:13 PM
It is wonderful to read about the happy things happening with all of you. Congratulations to you all.

I drove alone today for the first time in years, did not cause injury to any people or property, and did not upset other drivers - or at least, didn't upset them enough that they let me know. I'm taking driving lessons as a refresher and still have some more of those to go, but I'm proud of myself for accomplishing my errand safely.

Congratulations! After 30+ years of driving, I taught Nephew to drive a couple of years ago and was amazed at how complex driving is. So many things to do and attend to, that driving is hard until you've practiced, practiced, practiced.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

nonsensical

Quote from: Vkw10 on March 06, 2021, 09:44:35 PM
Congratulations! After 30+ years of driving, I taught Nephew to drive a couple of years ago and was amazed at how complex driving is. So many things to do and attend to, that driving is hard until you've practiced, practiced, practiced.

Thank you! Glad to hear that it gets easier with time.

ergative

Quote from: ergative on February 13, 2021, 06:26:19 AM
Dear Dr Ergative,

. . . Assuming that these issues can be resolved in a manner that doesn't cause fundamental problems for your analysis, I anticipate that we will be able to accept the paper after your next revision (perhaps pending minor changes) . . .

Best,
Editor in Chief of Absolutely Positively Top Journal in Your Field

So, I've been working on 'these issues', and on Friday I ran up against a wall. Briefly, in my simulations, two things that should have come out being reasonably highly correlated came out with correlations less than .1 for every single simulation. And I was worried that the whole endeavor was broken, because those results are definitely 'fundamental problems for my analysis'.  I ran into this wall Friday afternoon, and tried not to think about it all weekend, but I was genuinely losing sleep.

Well, I went back into my simulation code, and found that I'd forgotten to update an object from a hard-coded value that I used when testing a single case, to a variable that would apply to all cases when I scaled it up. In other words, I wrote my simulation code to apply to bananas, and then tried to run it on all fruit, and the results were telling me, 'No, simulated papayas are not at all correlated with real bananas.' And rightly so! Simulated papayas should not be correlated with real bananas!

Now I've fixed the error, and the results are telling me that my simulated papayas are reasonably well correlated with my actual papayas, and likewise for simulated and real bananas. I'd prefer that the correlations would be higher, but at least now they're on the order of .6, rather than on the order of .03. Phew!

ab_grp

Congrats, ergative! I'm glad you were able to find the coding issue!

As for driving, congrats to you, nonsensical.  It does take a lot of practice to develop some of the necessary instincts, and I think they can get rusty if they are not used for a while.  I agree with Vkw10 that teaching someone to drive really highlights all the reflexes that come with experience, as well as all the little details you stop thinking about.   Sounds as though you are successfully back in the driver's seat!

Puget

Two grants due one after the other in the last two weeks, just finished everything for the second one for internal deadline tomorrow, after a day of 5 hours on zoom with my collaborator then each of us doing final proofreads this evening. My brain and eyes are SO done.
Have to make myself do a little prep for class tomorrow and then off to bed with me. But, we are DONE!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

nonsensical

Quote from: Puget on March 09, 2021, 06:24:06 PM
Two grants due one after the other in the last two weeks, just finished everything for the second one for internal deadline tomorrow, after a day of 5 hours on zoom with my collaborator then each of us doing final proofreads this evening. My brain and eyes are SO done.
Have to make myself do a little prep for class tomorrow and then off to bed with me. But, we are DONE!

Even one grant would be quite the accomplishment. Two is particularly impressive!

I drove on a highway by myself today and nobody died.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I had my surgery yesterday but had some complications and had to stay a night in the hospital. BUT, I am now home and have minimal pain, so that's something. Fingers crossed!