News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

White College Educated Women Threat

Started by mahagonny, February 09, 2022, 08:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

Discuss if you like. Two and one half year old article. But where it's true it's more true now than it was then.

https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2020/07/how_white_educated_female_liberals_are_destroying_the_culture.html

Granted, I suspect almost no one here would post that they agree with this author on anything she wrote. Still, it might be interesting to think about who is reading this article and what they are like at this time.

Still editing: As an (almost) academic whose school has recently hired an ultra-woke woman (PhD, of course) for its president, though, I suspect some, perhaps many white educated 'progressive' women these days have a poor understanding of how they sound to others. In particular, white men, but not only white men. Whether they care about that, I don't know.

smallcleanrat

Author seems to be assuming there is no need to explain why particular 'woke' talking points are stupid. It's presented as a given that a mere mention of colleagues who use words like 'microaggression' or 'cisgender' is proof of the "cultural rot."

You can imagine a parallel article about the oppression of women and minorities by white men stating, "Fully half the faculty of my department are white men!" as if this fact on its own is more than sufficient to prove their point. It isn't.

QuoteAs an East coast therapist, I have heard stories about microaggressions concerning race, sexual orientation, and sexual identity.  For those of us who do not subscribe to this increasingly fanatical, Orwellian creed, we either self-isolate or are ostracized.

What stories? What were people actually saying that made their talk 'fanatical?'

Coupling vague, anecdotal references, with dramatic statements about 'fanatical, Orwellian creeds' is a typical outrage-generating tactic. It encourages the reader to use their imagination to fill in all the horrible details, which may or may not bear any resemblance to what was actually said.

QuoteTherapists now often identify clients as cis-gendered, those who maintain their "assigned" birth sex.  Straight, or gay, no longer suffices.

So? Gender identity is not the same as sexual orientation. Even if your opinion is that trans-gendered people are just sick in the head and need to be 'cured' rather than 'supported' in their identity, you should be able to acknowledge this distinction without imploding.

This isn't a critique of 'woke-ism' so much as an opinion piece to validate the feelings of people who already agree with her.

As it's much more a rant than an argument, there isn't really a lot to discuss in this particular article.

mahagonny

Quote from: smallcleanrat on February 09, 2022, 10:28:47 AM
Author seems to be assuming there is no need to explain why particular 'woke' talking points are stupid. It's presented as a given that a mere mention of colleagues who use words like 'microaggression' or 'cisgender' is proof of the "cultural rot."

You can imagine a parallel article about the oppression of women and minorities by white men stating, "Fully half the faculty of my department are white men!" as if this fact on its own is more than sufficient to prove their point. It isn't.

By coincidence, that's just about exactly what our white college president said. According to a colleague, the new president waltzed in to the the department meeting and immediately commented in a sneering tone about the high number of old white guys in the department. Macroaggressions, anyone?
You can trace over the last ten years that as the school's pride in having an increasingly diverse (by the standard 2021 definition) faculty and student body has increased, so too has the standard woke agenda been crammed down our throats via the DIE department, group emails from the president, provost, union leaders, et al with the ostensible assumption that everyone is on board. Of course it's only one school but it matches the same trend that I've been reading about in other schools and the corporate world.

Wait, my other school is subscribing to just about the same agenda. But fortunately over there the 'adjunct' faculty are considered a temporary stop gap measure to keep the school going for one more term so we are more able to fly under the radar as workers. No one asks us to participate much, no faculty meetings. Sometimes being left out is a blessing.

Once you begin reading an email from one these folks you can just about predict what they're going to say about any topic. They've all been smoking the same water pipe.

Sure, I understand that American Thinker does a lot of preaching to the choir. Well, so do Mother Jones, Slate, the Guardian and others. Even NPR, WAPO & the NYT have long given up on appearing non-biased.