News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Travel Thread

Started by spork, March 23, 2021, 10:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myword

I am planning once again to look for affordable apartments, by plane, won't drive. In April, I think. Car rentals are high.

You can wait until youre vaccinated, then go. Funny how  traveling looks like a great idea at first, and when the time comes, I get cold feet.

Morris Zapp

I am inordinately excited about the weeklong conference in Michigan that I will attend this summer. It's not Paris, but it's not here. It's a start.

sinenomine

I usually travel quite a bit, but I'll be waiting indefinitely, watching how things play out. I've been asked to do a couple lengthy house sitting stays at a small farm in my area that's surrounded by conservation lands, so I'm treating those as quasi writer's retreats.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

darkstarrynight

I miss traveling, but I've become quite accustomed to being at home. I got my second shot last week, so I plan to visit relatives who live three hours away by car in April after I build immunity. Then, perhaps a road trip will occur in May to a nearby city I have never visited. I am probably not going to fly on a plane until June, when I hope to meet my sibling's child in person rather than on video chat (pandemic baby).

spork

It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

hmaria1609

A bit of humor to start your week:
https://www.gocomics.com/speedbump/2021/04/12
From "Speed Bump" syndicated daily comics (4/12/21)

To when we all can travel again!

mamselle

I spent the morning in Rouen.

Google Street View showed me exactly where I got lost going to the train station the first time, helped me re-find the Donjon de Jeanne d'Arc on the way, and helped me start to figure out what possible areas the processions for various saints' days might have gone to.

I don't have access (yet, it seems) to a processionale from the town the way I have for a couple other towns, but it's fun just wandering about and seeing where the earlier monasteris and parish churches (where the processions usually went to and from) were.

I always believe the first thing you should do in any town you've never visited before is to get lost in it.

And don't bother finding where you are until dinner, when you want to eat.

And then find a place to eat and ask them for directions back to your hostel, or BnB, or whatever.

Reims, tomorrow...never been there.

M. 
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

I have hopes of being able to visit a neighboring state this fall.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

lightning

OMG!!!!

NY Times is reporting that people from the USA will be allowed to travel to the EU, this summer.

zyzzx

Quote from: lightning on April 26, 2021, 08:12:16 PM
OMG!!!!

NY Times is reporting that people from the USA will be allowed to travel to the EU, this summer.

Hopefully not just able to visit, but able to visit with no quarantine for the vaccinated.
Sitting here in my EU quarantine after just returning from the US, this feels like quite a tease...

larryc

I was planning on riding my bicycle across the state in June. But a sudden inheritance means we are going to Cape Cod instead, which is not so bad.

Puget

Just booked tickets for late July to visit my parents in WA and then we all go together to ID to the family cabin in the Sawtooths, to spend time with my 92 year old grandmother (and mountains, which I have dearly missed). It feels like a big step but we are all or will be soon fully vaccinated. How weird and wonderful to actually have something to look forward to!

Quote from: larryc on April 27, 2021, 09:07:56 AM
I was planning on riding my bicycle across the state in June. But a sudden inheritance means we are going to Cape Cod instead, which is not so bad.

Oh poor you, how will you ever survive?
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

clean

The honeymoon cruise that I had booked for last December was cancelled because of Covid.

My bride would like a honeymoon cruise similar to the one initially booked.  Princess Cruises has just published the Fall 2022/Spring 2023 Mexico itineraries. 
I have some questions, and I hope that some of you here would be able to help me/us decide.

There are 2 voyages we are considering. The first question would be if any of you have a port preference.  Have you been to Manzanillo or Loreto?  Which would be more fun (in the first half of December or the first week of January, respectively?)  (The other ports are essentially the same, though one departs San Francisco  and the other Las Angeles)

A second choice is about the dates. The first would overlap with the exam window. My exam will be online, but I will need to grade some while on the ship.  The other includes New Year's eve, (so it is much more expensive)!  Would either of these give anyone a reason to reconsider?

Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas? 
Thanks!!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

spork

My suggestion (always the contrarian): forget the cruise, just fly to Mexico and stay in one of the beachy locations that a cruise ship would stop at for only eight hours. Cruise ships are petri dishes for lots of viruses besides SARS-CoV-2.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

darkstarrynight

My spouse and I booked our first plane trip for June! We will be meeting my sibling's first child, who was born during the pandemic and is already over a year old. I cannot wait to meet this adorable child in person!