Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

On the Money: Home Improvement

Started by spork, March 29, 2021, 03:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Quote from: Puget on April 15, 2021, 01:51:54 PM
Quote from: Puget on March 29, 2021, 07:47:57 AM
I have a pallet of pavers and other materials being delivered Friday to put in a patio-- a bit over $900 plus my own labor to build it (which I'm looking forward to-- becoming a homeowner seems to have activated strong latent liking to have a hands-on project traits in me). Will it enhance the resale value of the house? In theory a bit a suppose. Will it enhance the value of the house *to me*? Most definitely-- I expect to be spending a lot of time out there and using it for socializing, and it will be the future home of a small hot tub which I've long wanted.

I successfully installed the patio over two weekends. I just have a little to finish this weekend pouring some concrete to fill in where it meets the irregular edges of the fieldstone foundation and bulkhead.

It was moderately challenging and good exercise-- overall a satisfying project. My neighbor who is a retired mason came over to inspect several times and approved of my work so I guess I didn't do too badly! I have a lot of pavers left over, some of which I'll use for a garden path, and I guess I'll save the rest in the garage in case of later breakage or other uses.

I now await the arrival of the patio set and need to do research on exactly what hot tub I want.

Approval from a retired mason on a job like that means something.  It drives them crazy when they see badly-done work.  They can't unsee it. 
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Faith786

I had squirrels trying to nest in my soffits/fascia.  Called an exterminator, sealed the openings...squirrels seen roaming around on my roof for a week trying to find a way in. They finally gave up and left. Now for the darn groundhog...
I need this grant approved...

FishProf

Mothballs and talk radio wherever their burrow is.  Unlike some humans, rodents can't stand either.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.