News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Username changes

Started by Liquidambar, May 17, 2019, 05:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liquidambar

Can we change our usernames ourselves?  If not, are mods willing to change them for us?  (Now that I realize capital letters are possible, I'm interested in whether I could capitalize my name for greater scientific accuracy.  However, it's not a big deal if that doesn't work out.)

ETA:  Oooh, here's my chance to try out the edit button.  I think it works!
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

eigen

It's currently not set up to allow you to change users to change names themselves (that seems rife with problems), but I'm happy to do name changes.

Either post them here and I'll take care of them as I can, or PM me with what you'd like it to be changed to.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

Liquidambar

Thanks, eigen.  If you could change me from liquidambar to Liquidambar (same thing except capitalized), that would be terrific.  Sorry for the inconvenience.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

eigen

Done! Happy to do the same for anyone else that finds themselves in a similar situation.
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

Parasaurolophus

It looks like I also (currently!) have that power, and I'm happy to field those requests, too.
I know it's a genus.

eigen

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 17, 2019, 07:05:06 PM
It looks like I also (currently!) have that power, and I'm happy to field those requests, too.

I think I gave you power to do pretty much everything other than access the backend of the site and database.

Juvenal

I suppose I managed to change from "juvenal" to "Juvenal" in my initial request to be added to this--I can't yet really call it "this fora."  "These fora," maybe.  It slightly nettled me (I nettle very easily) way-back-when, when you had to use lc for your moniker.  It now puzzles me (I'm puzzled when not being nettled) that so many "transfers" transferred their moniker in lower case.  As if I would fail to recognize a "Mamselle," or a "Poly_mer" from the way-back-when.  Unless someone might try to hijack a moniker (that's the puzzlement again).
Cranky septuagenarian

mamselle

I had to scroll up to look at mine. I hadn't even noticed I'd kept it lower case.

Who was it, case_insensitive? who would occasionally post all lower case for the fun of it?

(...Or maybe just to nettle those who nettled easily...?)

M.

ETA: Oh, and I still sign off with a cap "M" to distinguish myself from malcha, who had dibs on the lowercase long before I arrived.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

aside

Quote from: Juvenal on June 02, 2019, 09:34:03 AM
It now puzzles me (I'm puzzled when not being nettled) that so many "transfers" transferred their moniker in lower case.  As if I would fail to recognize a "Mamselle," or a "Poly_mer" from the way-back-when.  Unless someone might try to hijack a moniker (that's the puzzlement again).

I tried beginning with a capital, but after so many years, it just did not look right to me.  I doubt anyone would want to hijack my moniker, though perhaps there are those out there in the digital ether who suffer from moniker envy.  Surely they would covet a cooler moniker than mine.

polly_mer

Quote from: aside on June 02, 2019, 05:56:25 PM
Quote from: Juvenal on June 02, 2019, 09:34:03 AM
It now puzzles me (I'm puzzled when not being nettled) that so many "transfers" transferred their moniker in lower case.  As if I would fail to recognize a "Mamselle," or a "Poly_mer" from the way-back-when.  Unless someone might try to hijack a moniker (that's the puzzlement again).

I tried beginning with a capital, but after so many years, it just did not look right to me.  I doubt anyone would want to hijack my moniker, though perhaps there are those out there in the digital ether who suffer from moniker envy.  Surely they would covet a cooler moniker than mine.

Like aside, I kept the spelling I'm used to having.  After all, people seem to misspell the moniker anyway or shorten it to just Polly.  Nothing prevents anyone from a random capitalization in a post.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Juvenal

I will not argue for the general use of UC for monikers.  I will only say that, for me, a lc one sometimes brings to mind e. e. cummings or bell hooks, neither of whom appears to have shown up on either the old fora or this.  cummings, of course, would need a ouija keyboard to participate.

So folks don't object to all lc, and find, say, my old "juvenal" OK, and no one objects to "Juvenal."  I suppose there is no rule then to stop me from changing to "JUVENAL," right?  I surely would NEVER be so immodest as to try that, giving myself a shout-out.

Is fussing with fonts a good idea, I wonder?  Still, I am a fan of the Oxford comma--and serif fonts, as you see here.  Good old boring Times Roman.

Not so much for the fall-back font the fora uses.
Cranky septuagenarian

mamselle

You gettin' feisty, man....

Luv ya anyways...

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

InfoPri

Quote from: mamselle on June 02, 2019, 01:45:16 PM
Who was it, case_insensitive? who would occasionally post all lower case for the fun of it?

Yes, that's who it was, but she had a physical reason for wanting to avoid the shift key.

As for me, I'm delighted that I can finally present my moniker the way it ought to be capitalized.  (P.S., Juvenal, I'm old-school and prefer Times New Roman as well, but (a) I'm too lazy to bother changing it for every post, and (b) I've been convinced that sans-serif is, for some reason, a little easier to read in some of these online venues.  Be that as it may, I am a strong supporter of the Oxford comma and will use it until they remove the comma key from my cold, dead keyboard.

mamselle

A.k.a. Harvard comma; and I, too, am enamored...

M.

Systeme_D

Oh, may I finally be Systeme_D?

Thanks, eigen/Parasaurolophus/whoever can help!