News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

It's been two years!

Started by eigen, April 25, 2021, 08:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eigen

I can't quite believe it's been about two full years since we originally found out the CHE forums were closing, and worked to set up an alternate site, but since I just got billed for another year of hosting... it must be that time!

We're currently sitting at 2520 members (although a number aren't active), and 71,568 posts (up from around 25k a year ago). We're up in activity relative to last year (100 posts per day on average relative to 80-ish), and have around 63 members active online each day. We're also still (slowly) gaining members- lots of them are spam accounts, but we continue to approve new non-spammy members with regularity.

I wanted to start this thread to check in with the community as a whole. I know there have been some rocky portions and discussions over the last year, so:

Are things working for you?

Do you have changes you want to see?

Do you have thoughts, or concerns you want to bring to the group as a whole?
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

Parasaurolophus

Wait, what? Holy crap!

(I'll step aside and let others give their input. I just had to register my astonishment.)
I know it's a genus.

marshwiggle

Quote from: eigen on April 25, 2021, 08:34:05 PM

We're currently sitting at 2520 members (although a number aren't active), and 71,568 posts (up from around 25k a year ago). We're up in activity relative to last year (100 posts per day on average relative to 80-ish), and have around 63 members active online each day. We're also still (slowly) gaining members- lots of them are spam accounts, but we continue to approve new non-spammy members with regularity.

I just want to express my appreciation to the people who volunteer their time to make this possible. You're doing a great job.

Just a question regarding "active" members: How many sign in at least once a week?

It may sound a bit paradoxical, but I'm curious about the habits of the people who observe but don't post. I've been in that position myself (which may surprise some) on other forums.

It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

QuoteIt may sound a bit paradoxical, but I'm curious about the habits of the people who observe but don't post. I've been in that position myself (which may surprise some) on other forums.

They'll be joining us as soon as they have been properly cleansed (anti-racism training).

QuoteI just want to express my appreciation to the people who volunteer their time to make this possible. You're doing a great job.

+1

lightning

Quote from: mahagonny on April 26, 2021, 04:16:17 AM

They'll be joining us as soon as they have been properly cleansed (anti-racism training).

The fora does not require an anti-racism training certificate.

Harlow2

Eigen,  thank you for all your hard work. I know you aren't asking for applause, but you've done a remarkable job.

Puget

Quote from: Harlow2 on April 26, 2021, 05:58:02 AM
Eigen,  thank you for all your hard work. I know you aren't asking for applause, but you've done a remarkable job.

Seconded!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Hibush

Thanks so much for getting this organized and keeping it going. Finding a host, starting the forum software and getting our valuable domain name were big contributions at the outset that were absolutely critical. The continuing effort is paying off handsomely!

Hibush

Quote from: marshwiggle on April 26, 2021, 03:48:56 AM

Just a question regarding "active" members: How many sign in at least once a week?

It may sound a bit paradoxical, but I'm curious about the habits of the people who observe but don't post. I've been in that position myself (which may surprise some) on other forums.

I posted some similar stats back in February. While it does not show weekly signins, there are just over 100 people with 100 posts and another ~400 with at least two posts, which gives a similar sense of how many are really active.

spork

I can't quite believe it's been about two full years since we originally found out the CHE forums were closing, and worked to set up an alternate site, but since I just got billed for another year of hosting... it must be that time!

I wanted to start this thread to check in with the community as a whole. I know there have been some rocky portions and discussions over the last year, so:

Are things working for you?

Do you have changes you want to see?

Do you have thoughts, or concerns you want to bring to the group as a whole?

Thank you eigen for creating and maintaining the site. Also thanks to the moderators who are assisting in the day-to-day operations.

A thought: I wish there was more diversity among posters in terms of geography, type of employer, career stage, etc.  For example, I always learn something new when someone who works in Canada or the EU posts. It helps reinforce the reality of SPADFY.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Thanks for keeping the lights on, eigen. This forum has been a good source of support and information.

little bongo

Thanks, Eigen and moderators!

lightning

Is there any kind of anonymous gofundme or something like that, so we can contribute to the hundreds of $ that it costs to maintain this site?

Morden

Thank you Eigen and moderators!

apl68

Another thanks to our moderators!

For some reason it feels to me like it has been more than two years.  The old Fora have receded a long way in the rear-view mirror.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.