News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

July 4 Plans? (or July 14 plans if French)

Started by clean, June 29, 2019, 10:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bioteacher

It is too early in the season for the corn to be good. We will have watermelon, because there is one on the kitchen counter waiting to be cut up. Bioette is a hoover of watermelon. We will be lucky to get some. There will be no potato salad or macaroni salad. These dishes are gross. There will not be any coleslaw. We will possibly have fries or potatoes cooked in some fashion on the grill.

onthefringe

Minor League Baseball (with fireworks). Also, the fringelet just learned she earns time and a half if she goes in to work, so that may be happening too.

Thursday's_Child

Nothing exciting was planned - then I had to shoo a small dog (some sort of pug mix, I think) out of a major road.  Now I'm really ready for nothing exciting to happen - until various neighbors start in with the fireworks, that is.  As with backatit, several of my neighbors started testing their firework options weeks ago, so hopefully the shows will be good.

mythbuster

We went much of the day watching Wimbelton tennis. Then we decided to go have an ice cream and ruin our dinners in between rain storms. The dog loved that idea. Since it's raining, our hotdogs may be made on the panini press instead of the grill. I grew up in the west, so rain on the the 4th to me is so so wrong.

backatit

It really, really sounds like WWIII out there. I don't know what my neighbors are setting off but there's far more noise than there is Oooh, and ahhh, factor. Just loud, percussive, booom booom, booom over and over again interspersed with lighter ordinance. I think one of my neighbors may have somehow gotten hold of a cannon.

mamselle

I was in Berlin at Y2K time, for about a week.

I got very, very tired of the constant barrage--it became boring, numbing,absurdly unrelenting night and day for almost the whole time I was there.

I even asked the wrapped Reichstag if it was bored--it didn't answer--and wondered if all these people had been born in 1944 and had some atavistic need to re-create the sounds of their childhood....it was truly awful.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

We had just a few amateur fireworks shows in the neighborhood (although there were plenty going on in the area), but it was reasonably quiet overall.  Very hot out, and the hot dogs were great (I had two).  I was dumb and forgot to get potatoes to make my mom's potato salad, so we had leftover brussels sprouts, roasted root vegetables, and baked beans, and it all turned out okay.  The city fireworks show was pretty cool, as usual. 

backatit

Your menu sounds awesome! The neighbors are still going strong - I hope they use up their arsenal soon. Gotta love the rural South. Two houses in our county burned down because of fireworks this week, but will they crack down on them, heck no. The dog does seem to be adapting somewhat - she still jumps but she's cowering a bit less, thank goodness.

clean

QuoteGotta love the rural South. Two houses in our county burned down because of fireworks this week,

You might be a redneck if your fireworks display doesnt end until there is a house/barn burning.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

backatit

Or a finger or hand missing...I guess that happened too, according to one of my friends who worked in the ER on the 4th. But that's standard.

clean

Is Amazon Prime Day part of Bastille Day?

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

Dan's la grande jamais!

Non!

Quell horreur....

<walks away, muttering, 《...allons, enfants de la patrie---》>

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.