News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Secure vs. not secure websites.

Started by bioteacher, July 01, 2019, 04:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bioteacher

My browser is helpfully pointing out that this website is not secure. Are there plans to upgrade to https in some fashion? I don't know all the lingo, I just know that secure is preferred and this site isn't making my browser happy enough to show the padlock icon.

polly_mer

You can just type https://thefora.org and it should connect as a secure website.  You might have to clear a cache and update any bookmarks to have the https connection every time in your web browser.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

bioteacher

eigen

To answer the question: For this, it really doesn't matter other than it worries people. Unless, of course, you're using the same email/PW combination you use for your bank... Which you probably shouldn't.

An "insecure" connection means that someone could intercept data being sent between your computer and the forums *could* be intercepted by a nefarious 3rd party, as the data being sent isn't encrypted. Technically, even secure data could be intercepted.

An insecure connection to your bank or for financial transactions isn't good, but for a connection to this forum, it shouldn't matter. Unless the Russians want to take us over!
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

Hibush

Quote from: eigen on July 01, 2019, 06:06:28 PM

An insecure connection to your bank or for financial transactions isn't good, but for a connection to this forum, it shouldn't matter. Unless the Russians want to take us over!

I would notice if the Internet Research group in St. Petersburg started posting from your account. They are pretty good at imitating style, but something would clearly be off.

bioteacher

I use Lastpass, so I have different passwords for every site. I'm just informed enough to know I need to be careful, but not informed enough to know how important the padlock is. I do know that most sites are moving to using it, so I've made a habit of paying attention to that.

If the Russians want to add some funds to my bank account, they are welcome to do so. I'm still not giving them my password. 

polly_mer

Quote from: Hibush on July 01, 2019, 06:23:25 PM
Quote from: eigen on July 01, 2019, 06:06:28 PM

I would notice if the Internet Research group in St. Petersburg started posting from your account. They are pretty good at imitating style, but something would clearly be off.

Nobody's noticed yet that I'm a Russian agent.

D'oh!

Um, forget I wrote that, you wily, wily interrogator.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!