Author Topic: Movie Thread  (Read 14299 times)

hmaria1609

• CHE Posts: 560
Re: Movie Thread
« Reply #225 on: April 19, 2021, 02:38:30 PM »
Coming Christmas 2021: the "Downton Abbey" sequel
https://tellyvisions.org/2021/04/19/downton-abbey-2-announced-arriving-christmas-2021
Actors Jim Carter and Hugh Bonneville have talked about seeing & reading the script for the sequel at one time or another.

mamselle

• Use your wit and intelligence to figure out how to be kinder
  • Distinguished Senior Member
  • Wondering, Wandering Sr. Member
  • CHE Posts: 4,618
« Reply #226 on: April 19, 2021, 04:41:39 PM »
Yes, I think I saw a Graham Norton sequence when one of them mentioned it.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

spork

• Distinguished Senior Member
  • CHE Posts: 18449
« Reply #227 on: April 30, 2021, 05:45:47 PM »
Watched the documentary Knock Down the House on Netflix earlier this week. I liked it a lot -- good depiction of grass roots politics in the USA.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Hegemony

« Reply #228 on: May 02, 2021, 01:47:54 AM »
Saw "Nomadland." If you've seen the trailer, imagine what you think the rest of the movie will be like. It was exactly like that. It was lyrical and melancholy, and stayed constant in tone.

Sun_Worshiper

« Reply #229 on: May 02, 2021, 09:14:58 AM »
Lucy the Human Chimp

Lucy was taken in by a human couple (psychologists, running a sort of experiment to see how Lucy would turn out if nurtured in a human environment) and raised as their daughter. Everything went fine until she hit sexual maturity and began destroying their house and scaring off their human friends and family. So the couple decided to integrate her into the wild by taking her, along with her caretaker, to a site in the Gambia that helps captive chimps transition to nature. The film is mostly an interview with the caretaker, Janice Carter, who moved with Lucy and other Chimps into the Gambian jungle, where she lived with them for several years.

This is very interesting subject matter, but the journey is a little slow, some of the reenactments are cringeworthy, and there isn't much on the ethics of the initial experiment or the choice to integrate Lucy (who had never been around another chimpanzee) into the wild. Despite these frustrating aspects I enjoyed it overall and was captivated.

B+

ergative

• CHE Posts: 1949
« Reply #230 on: May 02, 2021, 11:19:50 AM »
Shadow and Bone

What fun! Really nice visual world-building, and I thought the character interpretations (of the characters from Six of Crows, the only book in this universe I've read) were well done. I enjoyed every minute.

cathwen

« Reply #231 on: May 02, 2021, 01:57:55 PM »
We just watched The Courier on Amazon last night.  The plot revolves around an English businessman recruited by the  British (MI6) to obtain secret documents on Soviet missile development that eventually led to the Cuban Missile Crisis.  It was gripping the entire way through—both my husband and I were in our early teens when this happened, so we remember it fairly well (although of course, we had no idea of what was going on behind the scenes; probably few did).  Benedict Cumberbatch and Rachel Brosnahan star.