News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Share your unpopular opinions

Started by Sun_Worshiper, September 25, 2023, 09:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterboy

"Gone with the Wind" is the most boring movie ever made.
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

apl68

Quote from: waterboy on October 03, 2023, 06:13:51 AM"Gone with the Wind" is the most boring movie ever made.

I wouldn't say that...but it's definitely longer than it really needs to be.  A lot of otherwise good movies are for some reason.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

hmaria1609

I've read the novel and seen the movie.  Sure, changes and edits had to be made from page to screen, the movie follows the book well.

the_geneticist

"It's a Wonderful Life" is a dreadfully boring movie. 

Juvenal

Quote from: hmaria1609 on October 05, 2023, 12:06:54 PMI've read the novel and seen the movie.  Sure, changes and edits had to be made from page to screen, the movie follows the book well.
Oh, fiddle-de-dee!
Cranky septuagenarian

fishbrains

This may not be all that unpopular of an opinion, but the letter grade of "D" serves no genuine purpose and should be abolished at all levels of higher education.

All a "D" seems to say anymore is that this student didn't pass the class, but I don't want them back in my space for another semester.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

marshwiggle

Quote from: fishbrains on October 12, 2023, 05:56:25 AMThis may not be all that unpopular of an opinion, but the letter grade of "D" serves no genuine purpose and should be abolished at all levels of higher education.

All a "D" seems to say anymore is that this student didn't pass the class, but I don't want them back in my space for another semester.

Isn't that a genuine purpose? It's more like a mantra.
It takes so little to be above average.

fishbrains

Quote from: marshwiggle on October 12, 2023, 06:32:06 AM
Quote from: fishbrains on October 12, 2023, 05:56:25 AMThis may not be all that unpopular of an opinion, but the letter grade of "D" serves no genuine purpose and should be abolished at all levels of higher education.

Isn't that a genuine purpose? It's more like a mantra.

Hmmmmmmmmm . . .
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

Sun_Worshiper

At my place a D means the student does not fail, but does not get credit either, so if it is a required class they will be back for another round.* I've had a few repeat customers over the years.

*I'm not sure if this is a university or department level policy.

secundem_artem

Trump may be a bell-end but my TIAA CREF account did a LOT better under him than it's doing with Diamond Joe Biden.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Kron3007

Quote from: secundem_artem on October 12, 2023, 01:08:09 PMTrump may be a bell-end but my TIAA CREF account did a LOT better under him than it's doing with Diamond Joe Biden.

Sure, but is that because of Trump or in spite of him?

Do you believe the president really has that much influence on this within that short of a period?  The global economy has been wacky since Covid, and I don't think it is Biden's doing...

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: secundem_artem on October 12, 2023, 01:08:09 PMTrump may be a bell-end but my TIAA CREF account did a LOT better under him than it's doing with Diamond Joe Biden.

Initially Trump inspired business.  But can you actually point to a policy or decision that affected the performance of your account?  Trump's economy really started with Obama's response to the 2008 meltdown, you know.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Wahoo Redux

Godzilla would just beat the sushi out of King Kong.

That overgrown monkey wouldn't stand a chance against those adamantine claws and teeth, that armor-plated hide, that titanic tail-whip, and most especially the atomic death breath.  One shot of the nuclear fire and you'd have a char-broiled ape-kabob. 

It's time to get real folks, come on.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on October 14, 2023, 08:03:10 PMGodzilla would just beat the sushi out of King Kong.

That overgrown monkey wouldn't stand a chance against those adamantine claws and teeth, that armor-plated hide, that titanic tail-whip, and most especially the atomic death breath.  One shot of the nuclear fire and you'd have a char-broiled ape-kabob. 

It's time to get real folks, come on.

Do most people not believe this? It seems like a pretty obvious truth!
I know it's a genus.

FishProf

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on October 12, 2023, 12:57:29 PM

At my place a D means the student does not fail, but does not get credit either, so if it is a required class they will be back for another round.* I've had a few repeat customers over the years.

*I'm not sure if this is a university or department level policy.

A D at my school (at least in STEM departments means, well, you get credit, but it can't satisfy a prerequisite for an advanced course).  That is A purpose....
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.