News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

junkie panhandlers

Started by kaysixteen, December 15, 2023, 10:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Quote from: dismalist on December 21, 2023, 12:13:48 PM
Quote from: Ruralguy on December 21, 2023, 11:19:08 AMBut isn't this a bit of a myth?

I saw obviously homeless folks in Finland and Canada for sure. Possibly not as bad of a problem.

Myth? It's the opposite of the truth.

Homeless per 10,000 inhabitants

UK      54
France  45
Sweden  36
Germany  31

USA      18

Interesting.

What is their definition of "homeless?" If someone is living in supportive housing or couch-surfing, do we still consider them homeless?

Or do they only consider people homeless if they live in shelters or tents?

dismalist

Quote from: ciao_yall on December 22, 2023, 08:17:31 AM
Quote from: dismalist on December 21, 2023, 12:13:48 PM
Quote from: Ruralguy on December 21, 2023, 11:19:08 AMBut isn't this a bit of a myth?

I saw obviously homeless folks in Finland and Canada for sure. Possibly not as bad of a problem.

Myth? It's the opposite of the truth.

Homeless per 10,000 inhabitants

UK      54
France  45
Sweden  36
Germany  31

USA      18

Interesting.

What is their definition of "homeless?" If someone is living in supportive housing or couch-surfing, do we still consider them homeless?

Or do they only consider people homeless if they live in shelters or tents?

The definitions vary by country. The OECD collects them.

The US has a narrow definition. An exact definitional match among the countries we are comparing the United States to are Canada, at 0.36%, double the United States, and France at 0.22%, a tad above the United States, say equal to.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Ruralguy

I will say that the apparently homeless man that I met in Finland was very polite and fluent in English.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: marshwiggle on December 22, 2023, 05:00:36 AMThis is one of those things that can come from either end of the political spectrum. In Ontario, in the 90's, the push to get people out of mental institutions was from the left, concerned about their personal freedom. (The problem was that without additional community-based resources, many just became homeless.)

Reagan just closed the hospitals without a net of any sort.  It was not concern about people's freedom----which, as I posted to K16, is a pretty big issue and needs to be carefully monitored----it was a concern with money. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.