News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What are your 2024 resolutions?

Started by Sun_Worshiper, December 31, 2023, 02:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sun_Worshiper

The new year is upon us, so what will you do differently in 2024?

I will try to be less negative and try not to stress about things I can't control.

I'll also try to eat a little healthier and to be more consistent about going to the doctor for routine checkups.

ciao_yall

We always get holiday cards but never send them out. I kinda feel bad because it's nice to hear from people.

Julia (and Paul) Child always sent out Valentine's Day cards in lieu of Christmas Cards, so hubby and I decided to send Arbor Day cards this year. We are going to collect physical addresses of anyone who wants to receive one, get a photo taken, and boom!

If you want one, PM me your address. I promise not to stalk you IRL.

Parasaurolophus

I don't make resolutions.

I am, however, planning to slog my way through Stephen Jay Gould's last book, a 1600-page monstrosity that's definitely not popular science. I think I'll start after I've read my first book of the year, which will be on pterosaurs. And I think this year I'll make a start on reading either Plato's or Shakespeare's complete works. I don't know that I'll have the energy to read them all in a single year, but we'll see.

I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I also resolve to work on my physical health. I've already started walking daily (most days) for about half a mile. My new goal, that I have been working on for years, is to improve my mental health and do this by setting stronger boundaries with toxic family members and, if need be, cutting ties.

Wahoo Redux

Got a book to finish.

Got a ton of weight to shed.  I love hard exercise but need to be careful now that I am a little older----there is a new grappling school down the street; I'd like to get back into that, but again, gotta be careful.

Gonna try to cook something new once a week.

Looking for work but intend to watch even more Netflix. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Ruralguy

I have some articles to write, some goals for life and I'd like to learn more guitar. But I find that I achieve more if I set the bar low, so , no, I don't have any resolutions!

apl68

I also don't make resolutions as such, although I do a good bit of year end/year beginning reflection.  The man outcome of this year's reflections is a sense that I should let go of my frustration at being unable to make more of a difference in our community through my work at the library, and devote more time to seeing what other ways I can serve the community.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

paultuttle

Quote from: apl68 on January 02, 2024, 07:43:19 AMI also don't make resolutions as such, although I do a good bit of year end/year beginning reflection.  The man outcome of this year's reflections is a sense that I should let go of my frustration at being unable to make more of a difference in our community through my work at the library, and devote more time to seeing what other ways I can serve the community.

You know, I admire you so much, apl68--not just because you're a librarian, but because you're so focused on helping other people and being a contributing member of any community you're in.

I would bet heavily that you're already providing significant added value and that you don't need to be frustrated at all--I'm sure that compared to your efforts, others are barely giving it a shot.

So maybe you could pat yourself on the back a tad more, appreciating all that you are and do?

_____

My own resolutions: Laugh more. Travel more, but sustainably. Be more active, engaged, and outward-facing. Use my time more wisely (and more frivolously). Enjoy life more. Worry less.

And above all, be more like Queen Latifah in Last Holiday and less like Albert Brooks in Broadcast News. (<grin>)

Kron3007

Not really into resolutions, but I did join the gym again after a long hiatus and expert level procrastination.  The timing was largely due to teaching schedule and such, but I guess my resolution is to get in better shape and stay that way.