Author Topic: Polly's Thoughts on Future of Our Community  (Read 9318 times)

Caracal

• Distinguished Senior Member
Re: Polly's Thoughts on Future of Our Community
« Reply #180 on: May 03, 2021, 07:09:04 AM »
I guess this is what I mean. Some people seem to assume that a detailed set of rules is going to lead to unlimited power for mods and uneven enforcement. That doesn't really make sense. Right now, we have a very vague set of rules. If they were so inclined, the mods could choose to interpret rules like "no personal attacks," and "no bringing baggage from other threads," much more broadly. They aren't because they don't want to impose broad interpretations without a consensus.

That actually puts moderators in a position where they have to make more subjective calls. Para and Eigen can correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that they mostly only intervene when a thread is clearly spinning out of control and in those cases may take a slightly broader view of what is outside the bounds. If someone is sticking a toe over the line and everyone ignores the provocation, nothing happens. If someone gets angry and writes something clearly out of bounds, they may go back and give a warning to the toe sticker outer too.

We could actually make the mods calls less subjective with a clearer set of rules and I really think it wouldn't be that hard to craft rules that allowed for open and vigorous debate while curtailing bad behavior.

::Edited out a HUGE amount of white space. Eigen::
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 11:14:19 AM by eigen »

Sun_Worshiper

« Reply #181 on: May 03, 2021, 08:03:27 AM »
And volunteers can put it on their CV: Fora moderator policy working group (ad hoc)

eigen

• A function of something...
  • Administrator
  • CHE Posts: 1477
« Reply #182 on: May 03, 2021, 11:15:49 AM »
I guess this is what I mean. Some people seem to assume that a detailed set of rules is going to lead to unlimited power for mods and uneven enforcement. That doesn't really make sense. Right now, we have a very vague set of rules. If they were so inclined, the mods could choose to interpret rules like "no personal attacks," and "no bringing baggage from other threads," much more broadly. They aren't because they don't want to impose broad interpretations without a consensus.

That actually puts moderators in a position where they have to make more subjective calls. Para and Eigen can correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that they mostly only intervene when a thread is clearly spinning out of control and in those cases may take a slightly broader view of what is outside the bounds. If someone is sticking a toe over the line and everyone ignores the provocation, nothing happens. If someone gets angry and writes something clearly out of bounds, they may go back and give a warning to the toe sticker outer too.

We could actually make the mods calls less subjective with a clearer set of rules and I really think it wouldn't be that hard to craft rules that allowed for open and vigorous debate while curtailing bad behavior.

I pretty much only step in when there's a report, and only at that point if it seems like it's egregious.

Our policy currently is that unless there is something that we really think needs to be handled immediately, that we discuss how to handle it so it's not a single person making the call.

We do very little "moderation", honestly.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

Caracal

« Reply #183 on: May 03, 2021, 12:15:51 PM »

See, free speech is being stifled!

eigen

• A function of something...
  • Administrator
  • CHE Posts: 1477
« Reply #184 on: May 03, 2021, 12:48:51 PM »

Oh no! I'm caught.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

dr_codex

• This time, it's personal
« Reply #185 on: May 03, 2021, 02:30:46 PM »

Oh no! I'm caught.

Music is the space between the notes.
back to the books.

Ruralguy

« Reply #186 on: May 03, 2021, 05:08:28 PM »
Until very recently, I think there was a lot of baggage carried over from other threads. I would prefer to see that stopped in its tracks, but I suppose we the people can exert pressure when we see it.