News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

We had 'wintery mix' yesterday, and our temps have been in the 20s overnight and wont really warm up til tomorrow. 
We are not cancelling classes, but we are going 'online' today.... the first day of the term!

I teach 2 online classes this term, and while I usually do the in person part/zoom on campus, I will hope that my home power holds and internet works.
(lost power 8 times last night/this morning, but only for about a minute each time, and yesterday my internet was down 1/2 the day).   We are in a hurricane zone.  We dont do 20s very well! 

(on another front, My Bride was complaining that the house was too cold.  I have a thermostat that breaks each day into 4 time zones.  I figured that it would warm up once the time moved to the next zone.  But I checked.... it is a complex timer/thermostat.  While the fan was in 'automatic' the heat/cool was NOT automatic, but set on cool.   So while it should have been 68 or so, it was down to 62! 
I adjusted it, and it must have been the first time the heater came on this year because the next questions were 'what is that burning smell?'   ....  NOt that it has been cold enough for the heater to come on so far, though!   Which is partly why the 20s is Really Rough!

I had an eggplant plant that has survived 2 years (and produced only 1 eggplant I could eat!).  Yesterday I looked out the window to see all the leaves curled and the dozen blossoms long gone!   I dont think that it is going to survive 2 long periods in the 20s! 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Puget

I always think "wintery mix" should be a festive snack mix, but alas no.
We started off the day with nice fluffy snow, but it has now transitioned to the decidedly non-festive wintery mix, before being forecast to go back to snow later this afternoon, at which point there will be a nice layer of ice under the snow for everyone to slip on.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

FishProf

We had first day of classes today, but we just got the notice that we are closing at 4pm so my night class is not meeting for the first week.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

hmaria1609

Woke up early as planned to shovel the driveway. Many county public schools and DC closed for the day although some school systems opened with a 2 hour delay.
The major interstates were clear and light traffic volume when I drove to the library this morning. I've been out to drop off my lunch bag and went back inside the library.

There's a Cold Emergency Alert in DC for most of the week.

apl68

"Wintry mix" is usually what we get.  But this time we had a beautiful snow.  It has been pleasant to walk on--hard-packed, but with enough texture on top to get sure footing.  However, now that it is thawing in places today, the surface is getting glazed in many places with slick water.  The main roads are largely clear now, but the the rest of the streets, parking lots, and driveways are all still covered.  If anything they are getting more treacherous in places.

Which means I've just informed our library staff that we will be closed for a third day tomorrow.  Today was payday, so I cut paychecks as usual.  I was able to hike a one-hour round trip to the Mayor's office to get the payroll signed by the skeleton staff there.  One library staff member actually had her husband drive here to pick hers up!  It's remarkable how long it takes to get stuff done on a day like this.  I plan to come back in tomorrow to finish today's work in the morning.  If your work is mostly administrative, you don't really get snow days.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

hmaria1609

More snow coming our way here in the Baltimore/DC area tomorrow:
https://wtop.com/weather-news/2024/01/another-burst-of-winter-weather-is-on-the-way-this-week-heres-what-to-expect/
The Cold Emergency Alert is still on in DC.

Langue_doc

Winter advisory today, with snow coming down, very cold day tomorrow, and slightly, but only slightly warmer on Sunday. Back to the low forties next week, with rain from Wednesday on.

Tomorrow's bird walk has been cancelled, thankfully. I didn't want to chicken out and withdraw, so all's well.

Wahoo Redux

Winter Advisory since last night.  Skipping the Paula Poundstone performance I got my wife for her birthday because the drive would be harrowing.  Meh.  Hate, hate, hate snow.  This place sucks.  And then it snows. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

hmaria1609

Round 2 of snow here in the Baltimore/DC area today! It started early morning and went through the day:
https://wtop.com/weather-news/2024/01/early-friday-storm-means-snowy-roads-single-digit-wind-chills-for-the-morning-commute/
I had today off so I slept in some this morning. I shoveled before lunchtime since it was changing over to flurries. Then late afternoon, it was snowing again! Back out to shovel, it was lighter to do.
Many public school systems were closed today. It's going to be cold for the next few days.

FishProf

Bitter cold (12 F) has abated enough to snow again.  The last storm, thaw and freeze has left my driveway a skating rink.  It won't be safe to walk on until we get 40 degree weather.  So, like, Wednesday.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

paultuttle

Below freezing temperatures all day today, in spite of bright sunshine. Wind arose this morning as the sun rose, but it cut like a knife instead of warming anything up appreciably.

No snow. No ice, except in shaded areas where the moisture from last week's rains still haven't quite dissipated (or in yards or streets where water mains have broken). Just gray and brown stuff--tree trunks, old leaves, and squirrels desperately trying to find food.

evil_physics_witchcraft

It was about 16 degrees F last night. :( Supposed to warm up next week.

apl68

Looks like we've just had the last of our hard freezes.  We're about to veer into unseasonably warm weather.  We're now getting some slow rain.  One of our staff members still had trouble getting to work this morning with a section of icy road out where she lives.  Rural roads can really take time to finish thawing.

Meanwhile the only snowman I've seen in town this season is still hanging in there:

Surrounded by grass
After all else has melted
A snowman still stands
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

AmLitHist

Freezing rain and sleet overnight and supposed to continue through the day and maybe into tonight, too. The street in front of my house looks like a mirror.

ab_grp

It rained overnight, so naturally there have been numerous major vehicle accidents.  It rained again during the day, so no doubt there will be more to come.  Folks just can't handle wet roads here (though they don't drive well to begin with).