News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Trying to work on a federal ARPA funding grant for libraries.  Some of the restrictions--like not just using the funds to cover bad debts, or putting them in the bank and drawing interest on them--make sense.  But why are they so insistent that we can't use any of the funding for installation of equipment that's eligible for purchase? 

We want to use some of the funds to buy things like a touchless water fountain and UV sterilizing equipment for our HVAC system.  These things are covered, because they help avoid the spread of germs, and that's part of what the legislation is aimed at.  But these aren't items that we can install on a do-it-yourself basis.  We HAVE to have them professionally installed for them to work.  Installation is likely to cost as much as or more than the purchase of the items themselves.  So we either will have to forego some things we could have used the grant for, or go ahead and accept that we'll end up obligated to spend thousands of dollars out-of-pocket along with the grants.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Can you do a community appeal for funding for the installation?

People may be willing to match a partial donation where some part of the funding is covered, so they know what they're donating for.

I don't know enough to know if this is even possible, but would some kind of crowd-funding site be useful?

It does seem a shame to pass up something useful where at least one important part of it is covered.

M. 
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Larimar

I had dental surgery the day before yesterday. I have never had such a swollen jaw before, not even when I got my wisdom teeth out as a teenager. Then I woke up this morning with a huge black bruise under my eye. I look like I belong at a domestic violence women's shelter. I'm glad that the meetings I have next week will be virtual. Thank goodness also for non-dairy ice cream and no-sugar-added applesauce. And industrial-strength ibuprofen.

Vkw10

Quote from: apl68 on June 04, 2021, 08:14:07 AM
Trying to work on a federal ARPA funding grant for libraries.  Some of the restrictions--like not just using the funds to cover bad debts, or putting them in the bank and drawing interest on them--make sense.  But why are they so insistent that we can't use any of the funding for installation of equipment that's eligible for purchase? 

We want to use some of the funds to buy things like a touchless water fountain and UV sterilizing equipment for our HVAC system.  These things are covered, because they help avoid the spread of germs, and that's part of what the legislation is aimed at.  But these aren't items that we can install on a do-it-yourself basis.  We HAVE to have them professionally installed for them to work.  Installation is likely to cost as much as or more than the purchase of the items themselves.  So we either will have to forego some things we could have used the grant for, or go ahead and accept that we'll end up obligated to spend thousands of dollars out-of-pocket along with the grants.

Sounds like the program is designed to push libraries into purchasing more expensive equipment that comes with "free" installation.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

AmLitHist

Quote from: Larimar on June 04, 2021, 01:20:11 PM
I had dental surgery the day before yesterday. I have never had such a swollen jaw before, not even when I got my wisdom teeth out as a teenager. Then I woke up this morning with a huge black bruise under my eye. I look like I belong at a domestic violence women's shelter. I'm glad that the meetings I have next week will be virtual. Thank goodness also for non-dairy ice cream and no-sugar-added applesauce. And industrial-strength ibuprofen.

Hope you're feeling a bit better today, Larimar!

(I had all my teeth pulled a few years ago, and then immediately afterward had the dentures placed, to be left in place 24/7 for three full days and then only removed for a quick rinse.  Ouch!  Sleep and popsicles and scrambled eggs were my friends for a couple of weeks.)

Larimar

Quote from: AmLitHist on June 05, 2021, 06:38:07 AM

Hope you're feeling a bit better today, Larimar!

(I had all my teeth pulled a few years ago, and then immediately afterward had the dentures placed, to be left in place 24/7 for three full days and then only removed for a quick rinse.  Ouch!  Sleep and popsicles and scrambled eggs were my friends for a couple of weeks.)

Thanks, ALH. Yipes, sorry to hear that you had such bad dental problems. +1 about the scrambled eggs. Will be making egg drop soup for supper.

smallcleanrat

Ouch. Wishing you a swift recovery, Larimar!

Larimar

Thank you, smallcleanrat.

Harlow2

So sorry about the painful mouth and head, Larimar. Take good care of yourself.  Definitely ice cream.

Larimar

mamselle

Crushed clove head under the gum can help, too, sometimes.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Hope Larimar is recovering well.

I have a sore throat I haven't been able to shake this morning.  I don't need to get sick--there's so much to do this week!
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

^ Unrelated...

The N/P transfer is STILL in limbo.

An email, a phone call, another phone call and yet another email later, I'm still trying to follow up from the phone discussion we had yesterday about a process that was only supposed to take 2 weeks...in January.

The sabotage of the USPS sorting system in the south has a lot to answer for. Everytime something is sent to or from an office in AZ or FL, it takes 2-4 weeks to get there and be worked on.

Never used to be a problem.

And we know whose paranoid fear of not being re-elected to thank for this.

M. 

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on June 07, 2021, 03:50:52 PM
Crushed clove head under the gum can help, too, sometimes.

M.

Yep and clove oil, if you have it. Hope you feel better, Larimar.

clean

A coworker's Vent:

He is not teaching summer, and will officially retire at the end of July.  (IF he retires now, they will want his keys and computer access may be shut down, and he needs more time to clean his office and emails).

June 1 was his last paycheck.

This past weekend (days after the last check), he was eating nuts and broke his dental bridge.  He is negotiating with the dentist to discuss pulling one tooth and perhaps 3 implants, vs a root canal, crown, and replacing the bridge. 

He seems to think that the bridge route is only marginally less expensive, but is only a temporary fix, where as the implant route will solve the combined problems for good.

I tend to agree, but dont have any experience with bridge work. 

Lessons:
You are never too old for an emergency fund! 
Dental work is not cheap! (take care of your teeth)!

any advice to pass along on implants vs bridges?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader