News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: clean on May 25, 2022, 09:02:23 AM
If you have bees IN the walls, then how did they 'take care of it'?

This group sprayed a pheromone somewhere (I didn't see them do it. 5am is kind of early for me and it was 'free'). It's supposed to keep the bees away. I have a different company coming out tomorrow to assess the situation and give me a formal estimate on removal.

On another note, I have been dealing with assholes and people who do not want to do their jobs (for whatever reason) ALL DAY.

paultuttle

I'm almost out of my econo-sized supply of Gotdamitol (tm) pills, which are intended to keep me from having to say the brand name over and over in public.

Sadly, they appear to be in short supply in all markets.

clean

Just got home

I had asked that the inlaws pay particular attention the seedlings near the sink.  I even tried to ensure that they (particularly my brother i law, who drives them most places) by placing oreos and chips next to them hoping he or they would pay attention.  Lets just say that they were definitely ignored! 

It's not that important, but these were seeds from a coworker that were some sort of heirloom plant tracing back to the 1920s.  I already lost 1/2 the seeds that were planted by the birds plucking them when they got just above ground.... not the entire part, just the leaves!!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Juvenal

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 25, 2022, 10:59:35 AM

This group sprayed a pheromone somewhere (I didn't see them do it. 5am is kind of early for me and it was 'free'). It's supposed to keep the bees away. I have a different company coming out tomorrow to assess the situation and give me a formal estimate on removal.

On another note, I have been dealing with assholes and people who do not want to do their jobs (for whatever reason) ALL DAY.

Have you been affirmed that it was "bees"?  I have had wasps move into my walls, but bees seem, well, less committed to restricted venues.  Bees give honey; wasps give allergic consequences.  Bees are kind of "nice;" wasps are ICBMs.  Well, in-wall, or not, I guess you would rather/strongly feel they were elsewhere or dead.  To bee or not to bee...
Cranky septuagenarian

mythbuster

Dear clueless department members. When we are given the opportunity to "vote" on the spouse of the new head adminicritter joining our department, there is only one way this can go. No, there cannot be a "probationary period". Do you not understand how this game is played?

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Juvenal on May 25, 2022, 02:25:20 PM

Have you been affirmed that it was "bees"?  I have had wasps move into my walls, but bees seem, well, less committed to restricted venues.  Bees give honey; wasps give allergic consequences.  Bees are kind of "nice;" wasps are ICBMs.  Well, in-wall, or not, I guess you would rather/strongly feel they were elsewhere or dead.  To bee or not to bee...

Not yet. Hopefully we'll find out tomorrow.

Vkw10

Quote from: mythbuster on May 25, 2022, 02:56:13 PM
Dear clueless department members. When we are given the opportunity to "vote" on the spouse of the new head adminicritter joining our department, there is only one way this can go. No, there cannot be a "probationary period". Do you not understand how this game is played?

Clueless is an understatement. Hope your new faculty member is useful.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

Cheerful

"Probationary period."  Hahahahaha!

And no, you won't be authorized to search for a new faculty member of your choice anytime in the near future.  This person is it.  Be grateful.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 25, 2022, 03:52:28 PM
Quote from: Juvenal on May 25, 2022, 02:25:20 PM

Not yet. Hopefully we'll find out tomorrow.

Yes. They are honeybees. Good to have, just not in my house.

the_geneticist

Quote from: Cheerful on May 26, 2022, 11:25:42 AM

"Probationary period."  Hahahahaha!

And no, you won't be authorized to search for a new faculty member of your choice anytime in the near future.  This person is it.  Be grateful.

Exactly.  And if the spouse decides to NOT take the offer or leaves for a position elsewhere it will be your department's fault for not retaining them.
Do get it in writing that the spousal hire is contingent on the head admin being hired (seriously).

lightning

The lines for spousal hires, at my university, come from outside of the unit, so they are like gifts.

clean

any updates on the Bees??
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: clean on May 28, 2022, 08:21:01 AM

A company is coming out in a week to remove the hive and relocate the honeybees. They will also repair the holes and give a 5 year warranty. Fingers crossed about all of this.

mamselle

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 28, 2022, 08:28:58 AM

A company is coming out in a week to remove the hive and relocate the honeybees. They will also repair the holes and give a 5 year warranty. Fingers crossed about all of this.

So the pheromones folks were faux?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on May 28, 2022, 09:34:32 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 28, 2022, 08:28:58 AM

So the pheromones folks were faux?

M.

No, I don't think so. Now I didn't see them spray the area, but the number of bees entering the cavity dropped a lot. The beekeepers only spray the area, they don't remove the hive. So, I still need a company to remove the hive which will hopefully occur in a week.