News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Still have a lot of soreness and multi-colored bruising, but I'm on the mend.  Walking is no problem.  Sitting for long periods is the challenge.  I was able to manage okay all day yesterday at work.  I can now stand to kneel (Wait a minute--that didn't sound right!) for brief periods.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

mahagonny

Ugh! I told the student she scored an 80 on her final exam (this was generous), and then she gives me the water works (tears). "I can't have that low a grade on my transcript! I'm a straight A student. I didn't know there would be all this stuff involved."

(Liar! Liar! Pants on fire!)

She even used up half the office hours that I had available for all my students. Fortunately the others were mostly up to speed.

I'm getting too old for this s**t.

ergative

My body seems to have lost the ability to digest raw vegetables, and it is very disagreeable.

mamselle

It may only be high-starch-that converts-to-sugar content ones.

Don't give up on all of them unless you have to....PM me if you want to discuss more specifically...!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

Quote from: ergative on May 04, 2021, 12:59:17 AM
My body seems to have lost the ability to digest raw vegetables, and it is very disagreeable.

While you have my sympathy, I couldn't help but chuckle at the irony of your post on a thread with this title.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

ergative

Quote from: FishProf on May 04, 2021, 08:04:22 AM
Quote from: ergative on May 04, 2021, 12:59:17 AM

While you have my sympathy, I couldn't help but chuckle at the irony of your post on a thread with this title.

Now that you mention it, I do see a certain appropriateness, alas.

apl68

Two vents.  First, I've spent much of this morning trying to order some specialized library items from a vendor.  We haven't ordered this particular item in a long time, and the supplier has since undergone a major merger and reorganization.  I've been scrutinizing their web site, calling various numbers, talking to various representatives, and e-mailing in an effort to find out how in the world to order what we need.  I thought I had found a form online to do it and filled it out, only to find that that wasn't it.  Still waiting to find out how to place the order. 

The second vent has to do with our vents.  The ones in the ceiling of the library's community meeting room.  It has not been in service for the past year.  Now we find that mold has sneaked up on us and is staining the ceiling around the vents.  It looks nasty.  Guess who'll soon be perched on a ladder with bleach trying to scrub all that away?
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

mamselle

Are there any nearby (or far-off) librarians you might reach out to who have had the same headaches? Maybe they found the pathway to library gold??

;--}

(In her best school-marm voice...))Don't you DARE go up there, young lady! You've just been injured and talking about rainbow bruises.

Do you want more? Get someone else to do it!!!!! (If there is someone else...)

M.   
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Cheerful

Quote from: apl68 on May 04, 2021, 11:12:55 AM
The second vent has to do with our vents.  The ones in the ceiling of the library's community meeting room.  It has not been in service for the past year.  Now we find that mold has sneaked up on us and is staining the ceiling around the vents.  It looks nasty.  Guess who'll soon be perched on a ladder with bleach trying to scrub all that away?

Not you, hopefully.  Hire professionals for this.  They should have the proper mold removal tools, ladder, and overall safety training.

Economizer

There is a crime wave, shootings mostly, in nearby megalopolis. The mayor of central city, solutionless so far, rejumps on the national gun control issue.Guess what , there are less than Mayor positions in every sub district in the whole metro area who need to be heard that
probably know what needs to be done and can be done to better situations and/or conditions in their areas. But noooo..first try to amend the Constitution of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! How about identifying the rights of criminals which allow them to proceed with their crimes and misdeeds, i.e. protections against search and and seizure.

But in the megacity central, huge potholes cannot be repaired on one of the most prestigious theroughfares in the WHOLE NATION. That, I am sure, is the appplication of old redneck, deep south , crooked as dog doo, inititiative for political change!
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Economizer

Quote from: Economizer on May 05, 2021, 03:44:08 AM
There is a crime wave, shootings mostly, in nearby megalopolis. The mayor of central city, solutionless so far, rejumps on the national gun control issue.Guess what , there are less than Mayor positions in every sub district in the whole metro area who need to be heard that
probably know what needs to be done and can be done to better situations and/or conditions in their areas. But noooo..first try to amend the Constitution of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! How about identifying the rights of criminals which allow them to proceed with their crimes and misdeeds, i.e. protections against search and and seizure.

But in the megacity central, huge potholes cannot be repaired on one of the most prestigious theroughfares in the WHOLE NATION. That, I am sure, is the appplication of old redneck, deep south , crooked as dog doo, inititiative for political change!
theroughfare should be "thoroughfare". The misspelling was due to the incorrect correction by the source subscribed to by my Androidal provider, probably.
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Economizer

Oh, it had been mentioned to me, way previously, that a big part of the problem was not allowing law enforcement
personnel to violate (?) the privilege of good (?) folks to secret (stash) illegal drugs. Yeah!

ciao_yall

Quote from: Economizer on May 05, 2021, 07:49:41 AM
Oh, it had been mentioned to me, way previously, that a big part of the problem was not allowing law enforcement
personnel to violate (?) the privilege of good (?) folks to secret (stash) illegal drugs. Yeah!

Maybe the bigger problem is (1) worrying what kind of stuff people are storing in their homes, and (2) using guns and other potentially deadly means to get that stuff out?

Economizer

Maybe? I was thinking more about illegal stuff in motorized vehicles. And, I should have termed it contraband perhaps. There seem to be autos associated with most all of the shootings about which I am writing. Being able to frustrate the portability of weapons should curb the occurence of shootings.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Economizer on May 05, 2021, 09:13:18 AM
Maybe? I was thinking more about illegal stuff in motorized vehicles. And, I should have termed it contraband perhaps. There seem to be autos associated with most all of the shootings about which I am writing. Being about to frustrate the portability of weapons should
curb the occurence of shootings.

Or, don't worry so much about what kinds of stuff people have in their cars? Contraband is a human, political definition.