News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bbmaj7b5

Back from a five day hospital stay. At least the fever is gone.

mahagonny

Sorry Bbmaj7b5. Feel better.

Harlow2

Hope you are feeling better today, Bbmaj7b5.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Harlow2

Unrelated. An expectation by one unit of the university that 10-month faculty are available on a week's notice to do something time consuming about which we were not warned. We couldn't possibly have research obligations or family needs, or even deserve time off? It got worked out but the assumption is sticking in my craw.  [need to find out what exactly a craw is]

apl68

Quote from: Harlow2 on July 29, 2021, 08:24:11 AM
[need to find out what exactly a craw is]

A bird's crop.  Colloquially, your stomach or gut.  When stuff like this happens to you, it does sometimes make you feel like there's something unsettled deep inside, doesn't it?

I grew up hearing "craw" still used in daily speech.  Not sure how common it is anymore.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Yes, plus, maybe "hard to swallow," as well.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

waterboy

For me, it would mostly be a pain at the other end.
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

Harlow2

These are great.  Thanks for the laugh, Waterboy.

clean

Admincritters dont know boundaries.  If they are working, then everyone should work!    AS you are not teaching classes, you have Plenty of time for these extra things.  Besides, they are ONLY THINKING OF YOU!  They dont want you to be bored for find your life meaningless, so To HELP Give your Life Meaning, they have shown you how valuable you are ALL YEAR! by making these tasks available for your expertise! 

One way to handle such requests is to use an Auto Reply... something like, "I am not currently contracted to be on campus before August Never, 2021. As such, I am not checking my emails.  After that date,  please resend your email as appropriate."

One of my coworkers makes it clear that she is ON VACATION until August 19 and will not be on campus, answer emails, attend meetings, or return calls.

She said she had to do that because the dean and her chair would still 'ask' her to come to campus to have meetings 'of great importance To THEM' and irrelevant to her!    By stating 'VACATION" the 'harassment stopped'
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

jimbogumbo

Colleague of over 30 years just retired this Summer. Went in for routine gall bladder surgery, and while in the surgeon discovered an aggressive form of cancer in a nearby organ. Stage IV.

Shit.

lightning

Quote from: Harlow2 on July 29, 2021, 08:24:11 AM
Unrelated. An expectation by one unit of the university that 10-month faculty are available on a week's notice to do something time consuming about which we were not warned. We couldn't possibly have research obligations or family needs, or even deserve time off? It got worked out but the assumption is sticking in my craw.  [need to find out what exactly a craw is]

I vented about this a few years ago, on this thread, I think. I got into quite an exchange with people who sympathized with the admincritters.

Some of them even used the silly argument that my health insurance, library access, and tech support are in effect over the summer, so I should be available in the summers. I countered, that with that logic, none of use should have health insurance, library access, and tech support during Xmas/NY holidays, Thanksgiving, between the hours of 5 PM and 8 AM on weekdays, and nothing at all on the weekends.

It's similar to the idiotic notion that lawyers should only be paid for their time, when in the courtroom.

lightning

Quote from: clean on July 29, 2021, 10:12:37 AM
Admincritters dont know boundaries.  If they are working, then everyone should work!    AS you are not teaching classes, you have Plenty of time for these extra things.  Besides, they are ONLY THINKING OF YOU!  They dont want you to be bored for find your life meaningless, so To HELP Give your Life Meaning, they have shown you how valuable you are ALL YEAR! by making these tasks available for your expertise! 

One way to handle such requests is to use an Auto Reply... something like, "I am not currently contracted to be on campus before August Never, 2021. As such, I am not checking my emails.  After that date,  please resend your email as appropriate."

One of my coworkers makes it clear that she is ON VACATION until August 19 and will not be on campus, answer emails, attend meetings, or return calls.

She said she had to do that because the dean and her chair would still 'ask' her to come to campus to have meetings 'of great importance To THEM' and irrelevant to her!    By stating 'VACATION" the 'harassment stopped'

I don't even bother with auto-response emails, anymore. I'll get to their emails on my official first day back, if the email is actually important. My boundaries are my non-response.

mamselle

That's a bit passive-aggressive if there's truly something going on that is emergent, or if people start worrying that you're ill (which is a concern these days.)

M.

Harlow2

Quote from: clean on July 29, 2021, 10:12:37 AM

Oh, my.  In my case the "mandatory meeting" and demands came not from admins but from a support department (not IRT—who are wonderful—but something analogous) staffed by people who routinely make assumptions about faculty though they do not have advanced degrees and haven't ever taught.  But they do hold some power that could make things quite sticky.