News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Post For Stuff You Wanna Tell People

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 17, 2019, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshwiggle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 17, 2021, 10:03:04 AM
Hatchling achievement unlocked: projectile poo.

Parasaurolophus achievement unlocked: timely sidestep.

Parents of babies become about as adept and diligent regarding handwashing as surgeons.
It takes so little to be above average.

Liquidambar

Quote from: marshwiggle on May 17, 2021, 10:07:15 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 17, 2021, 10:03:04 AM
Hatchling achievement unlocked: projectile poo.

Parasaurolophus achievement unlocked: timely sidestep.

Parents of babies become about as adept and diligent regarding handwashing as surgeons.

I've observed the opposite.  Parents who would never exit the restroom without washing their hands don't feel the need to wash hands after changing a diaper.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

Economizer

Pop music legend Antoine "Fats" Domino, during the periods of his major successes, was 5'5" tall and weighed 200 lbs. His nickname is said to have been associated with previous entertainers, like "Fats" Waller. Only sort of related information, 2021 AMERICAN IDOL finalist, Willie
Spence, is 5'10" tall and has, quite remarkably, reduced his weight from 600 lbs. to 400 lbs. during his quest for the "IDOL" championship.

So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

mamselle

I'm growing increasingly aware of the vulnerability of large portions of our grid-regulated world to cybersecurity issues, especially ransomeware attacks.
These:

https://www.wcvb.com/article/massachusetts-steamship-authority-ransomware-attack-upate-june-5-2021/36638170

and

https://www.engadget.com/pipeline-ransomware-010631984.html

...prompted my most recent thoughts,, mainly because a job I worked at a VERY long time ago had the VPN arrangement described in the second article,, and when the office IT department was universally laid off after a RIF and remote takeover by the main office's IT folks, I know for a fact they never did retire al those accounts (I worked for the R/D VP who was trying to get them to, and they just wouldn't prioritize it)

Since that company has a huge presence in almost every IT software package now in use, I bet they're scrambling now to close those loopholes like crazy...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

I'm looking for some nice wool v-neck sweaters for Absolutive, and I've come across a company that has exactly the sort of thing he likes. The only problem is that whoever dressed the models made some TERRIBLE color decisions. These are nice models--good looking guys with dogs and ponies and outdoorsy style pictures, all very nice---but the colors! If you want to sell a nice soft grey vest, don't show put it on the model who has an orangey-pink shirt underneath! Or the poor fellow who has a dark blue shirt, and then has one picture in which they stuck a baby-puke 'key lime' vest on top of it, and in another picture they put a bright teal vest over it. Or garden green. (And let's not even go into the picture of the fellow wearing a saturated sea-green vest over a light green polo shirt.)

mamselle

But..but...but. those are perfectly good contrasting or complimentary pairings!

Oh, unless....is this catalogue perhaps European, or Brit/Canadian/Continental?

Guys there wear cool combos like that all the time.

It's the US that's out of touch.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

Quote from: mamselle on June 05, 2021, 02:27:50 PM

M.

You would think they are good pairings from the names of the colors. But they look terrible to my eyes. Here's the green & green vest + polo shirt.. Here's the teal + blue combination. On second look, the pink + grey isn't bad on its own, but together they serve as a coolish color palette, and the background of the photo is more warmy wood tones, and so it's the model who clashes with the background. The garden-green + blue is just incompatible, though. The colors are too close to each other, and too saturated, and they fight.

mamselle

Oh, dear, I think it's a case of "de gustibus...." I like them all...

I recall John Nettles wearing pink & grey in a Midsomer episode.

I'd say with the red hair,  the green/green combo is aimed at their Irish clientele.

And I actually love the jewel-toned depth of the blue and green...

But my mom used to insist that blue and green didn't go together, even when I pointed out that she like seeing the sky with trees...

So it really is personal.

I hope you do find something you like!

M.

marshwiggle

Quote from: ergative on June 05, 2021, 02:39:39 PM

M.

You would think they are good pairings from the names of the colors. But they look terrible to my eyes. Here's the green & green vest + polo shirt.. Here's the teal + blue combination. On second look, the pink + grey isn't bad on its own, but together they serve as a coolish color palette, and the background of the photo is more warmy wood tones, and so it's the model who clashes with the background. The garden-green + blue is just incompatible, though. The colors are too close to each other, and too saturated, and they fight.

It looks like they're going for a very "white bread" look; rich white collar professional being"casual". Rather than ordinary guy dressing normally.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Unrelated.

I really do not want to teach online again this summer. When was the last time I had a summer off? :(

mamselle

Quote from: marshwiggle on June 06, 2021, 06:10:06 AM

M.

It looks like they're going for a very "white bread" look; rich white collar professional being"casual". Rather than ordinary guy dressing normally.

It's true that all the models are white, I did notice that.

But those colors, especially the more vibrant ones, would work very well with other skin tones (having dressed and done makeup for onstage cast members from a number of backgrounds).

M.

marshwiggle

Quote from: mamselle on June 06, 2021, 08:26:35 AM
Quote from: marshwiggle on June 06, 2021, 06:10:06 AM

M.

It's true that all the models are white, I did notice that.

But those colors, especially the more vibrant ones, would work very well with other skin tones (having dressed and done makeup for onstage cast members from a number of backgrounds).

M.

But it's not just the skin tones; it's that the whole look is very "urban professional". They look like models, rather than like people who bought the clothes because they liked them.  It's like the houses in decorating magazines, or on home improvement renovation shows; the wagon wheel on the wall may be visually striking but it's not the way any normal homeowner would decorate. And the lack of any family photos, or books, magazines, etc. on the coffee table.......

Everything has an artificial look about it. It appeals to people who think that doing what the decorators tell them to is important. For people who want their environment to reflect them, it just seems phony.

mamselle

Well, after all, it was a photo shoot.

Like, Sears catalogs, and all that?

Verisimilitude might be a bit of a stretch 8n those settings...

M.

AmLitHist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 06, 2021, 08:14:33 AM
Unrelated.

I really do not want to teach online again this summer. When was the last time I had a summer off? :(

For me, it was 1996 (before I started grad school the next summer). 

I'm actually OK with my 2 online classes starting today, probably because I'm coming off my first sit-on-my-ass, do nothing but the NYTimes crosswords, crochet, and play in the garden, break (without the usual added drama, stress, and worry of Mom- or ALHS-related health crises) since, well, 1996. 

A number of my friends who took the recent VSIP (or decided against doing so) have said, "I don't know what I'll do all day long if I'm not working."  Not me--I have enough writing and crocheting and gardening projects and loafing and just plain laziness on my to-do list to last me for years and years.

Even though we have to work this summer, EPW, I hope you classes go easily and well and are as stress-free as possible.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: AmLitHist on June 07, 2021, 08:10:01 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 06, 2021, 08:14:33 AM
Unrelated.

For me, it was 1996 (before I started grad school the next summer). 

I'm actually OK with my 2 online classes starting today, probably because I'm coming off my first sit-on-my-ass, do nothing but the NYTimes crosswords, crochet, and play in the garden, break (without the usual added drama, stress, and worry of Mom- or ALHS-related health crises) since, well, 1996. 

A number of my friends who took the recent VSIP (or decided against doing so) have said, "I don't know what I'll do all day long if I'm not working."  Not me--I have enough writing and crocheting and gardening projects and loafing and just plain laziness on my to-do list to last me for years and years.

Even though we have to work this summer, EPW, I hope you classes go easily and well and are as stress-free as possible.

Thanks ALH. I 'played' in the garden today- even though it was hot as Hades. I did get a few things done. I'm trying to stay on top of these online classes and sort of proactively herd students in the 'right' direction.

Hey, the NYT xword, gardening and crocheting are great ways to exercise the mind and body. Not lazy...