News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Post For Stuff You Wanna Tell People

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 17, 2019, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Quote from: Bbmaj7b5 on April 15, 2021, 04:15:59 AM
Fun fact: The fabled Texas Power Grid is not, in fact, completely isolated. There is a DC connection in Arkansas. Presumably when this sort of thing happens again, some kind soul would be able to jump the entire grid with a 9 volt battery.

Probably somebody on the Arkansas side of Texarkana.  The Texans of Texarkana better be nice to their neighbors!

That our state's grid was NOT connected with the grid in Texas probably helps to explain why we had so few outages on this side of the line that week.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

Parasaurolophus

Had our first family picnic today. It was nice, although the bread, cheese, and parks on this coast leave much to be desired.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Moose?

---in other things to tell folks...---

Just ran across this.

Had to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpdCVAmt5C8

Had to watch it twice.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

wareagle

The facilities folks are mowing lawns today.  A low-pitched insistent hum is wafting through my office.  It grows louder as they near my window.

Two days ago, we had two inches of fresh snow on the ground.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

evil_physics_witchcraft

Dept. Chair:

Do we really have to have a meeting in the middle of final exams? Do you really think this is a good idea?

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

larryc

Colleague, you are the reason I don't come to the departmental happy hour anymore. You've always had a streak of negativity, but it has gotten so out of hand in recent years that I find socializing with you unbearable.

Parasaurolophus

On the plus side, I finished reading this shitty novel early (the last 20 pages were a sneak peek at the sequel). On the minus side, I don't have anything else to read while I wait around today
I know it's a genus.

ergative

We all know about the snake-fight portion of your thesis defense, right? Yes, of course we do. But did you know that there is fanfiction based on this text? Because there is. This one, in particular, is brilliant, and has definitely been written by someone with personal experience in the snake-fight trenches.

OneMoreYear

Quote from: ergative on May 07, 2021, 02:23:55 AM
We all know about the snake-fight portion of your thesis defense, right? Yes, of course we do. But did you know that there is fanfiction based on this text? Because there is. This one, in particular, is brilliant, and has definitely been written by someone with personal experience in the snake-fight trenches.

This is so perfect! My Huggy for the win!

Charlotte

Loved every bit of this but that finale was perfection.

Puget

Quote from: Charlotte on May 07, 2021, 04:56:56 AM

Loved every bit of this but that finale was perfection.

This is brilliant and perfect timing as my grad student just emailed her committee to schedule her defense. I'll have to remind her about the snake paperwork!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Economizer

Earlier today, by my being inexplicably drawn to world affairs programing on TV, I watched as retired General Keane was being interviewed, by a young female tele journalist. She was so attractively nearly clad that I did not grasp either her inquiries or the general's remarks. So, Spring is sprung, huh?
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Parasaurolophus

Hatchling achievement unlocked: projectile poo.

Parasaurolophus achievement unlocked: timely sidestep.
I know it's a genus.