News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Random Thoughts Anew

Started by mamselle, May 27, 2019, 09:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Quote from: downer on April 05, 2021, 07:06:03 AM
Another diversity survey. Bound to get some people's gander up.

Did they really think it was useful to ask: "How often do you interact with people of a different gender?"

I got a diversity survey, too.  I got halfway through it and just gave up without submitting it.  Most of the questions did not apply to my situation (adjunct teaching one asynchronous online course), and there were no "does not apply" responses possible.  I have no idea at all about my students' sexuality or gender identity.  It is none of my business.

downer

Quote from: cathwen on April 07, 2021, 06:53:19 AM
Quote from: downer on April 05, 2021, 07:06:03 AM
Another diversity survey. Bound to get some people's gander up.

Did they really think it was useful to ask: "How often do you interact with people of a different gender?"

I got a diversity survey, too.  I got halfway through it and just gave up without submitting it.  Most of the questions did not apply to my situation (adjunct teaching one asynchronous online course), and there were no "does not apply" responses possible.  I have no idea at all about my students' sexuality or gender identity.  It is none of my business.

Seems like sometimes these surveys are just taken from a third party provider.

One had "In one word, say how you feel about the future of higher ed." Well, I had a laugh with that one.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mamselle

Once again, I wish there were a venue (and the time to prep, etc.) in which to teach a course (or a series, really) on mystery, crime, and spy literature.

This article:

https://crimereads.com/betrayal-is-timeless-the-evolution-of-george-smiley/

with assigned reading in any three of the books listed, plus views of Guiness' performances in the TTSS series, would form a cool course on its own, which was what got me thinking of this again (I did draft a syllabus, once-upon-a-time...) Deighton, Fleming, and (for giggles, or inclusivity) Gilman might serve as comparanda for a start; others exist.

Or espionage could be paired with a study of detective fiction (Chandler to Sayers to Christie to Parker to T. (and S.) Hillerman to Cross to Grafton, say)--again with reference to films of their various works; and perhaps with a few comparisons from BBC series (The Professionals--the young Martin Shaw is gorgeous, just for starters--to the Endeavor/Morse/Lewis series, Prime Suspect, etc.) as well as US ones (Quincy, MD, never got the following it was due; House and Chance might showcase Laurie's blend of a BBC upraising transplanted to an LA agar), etc.

It would seem to me that student interest in doing the reading might be a bit higher, and discussions would be interesting to prompt: Does Chirstie give away too little? Chandler too much? Did Grafton's experience in writing for the screen inform her prose style in any identifiable ways?

Just a thought. These days it could be taught online, easily, might be fun!

Another lifetime, another show...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on April 07, 2021, 06:23:46 AM
Quote from: downer on April 05, 2021, 08:45:02 AM
Oh, I meant get get their dander up.

That is different from getting a gander.

The survey was about campus, and includes interactions with undergrads, as far as I can tell.

Now I'm imagining a flock of very angry, honking male geese magically appearing and going after someone. Sic 'em!

Don't laugh.  I've been on the receiving end of that.  We have a quartet of geese at the city park that get very aggressive if they feel you've violated their turf.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Economizer

Speaking of turf, I am trying to figure out why Coca Cola and Delta Airlines corporate are getting involved in opposing GA vote security issues. I know President Biden is against it for backer/control reasons. But, major international buiness?

Perhaps other issues are involved?  Corporate tax law changes? Reporting requirements? Employer/Employee to Government concerns? General lobbying tactics? Overseas operations?

Public Relations with whom? FOR WHY! Permissions to market vape, dope, and alcohol products? Howabout internal power struggles? Maybe for public opinion enhancements in certain market sectors? Hmmmm, Atlanta, Georgia, transplants, politics, society, yuppies..CAHOOTS?  CAHOOTS! That's it, cahoots.

So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

marshwiggle

Quote from: Economizer on April 11, 2021, 02:50:02 AM
Speaking of turf, I am trying to figure out why Coca Cola and Delta Airlines corporate are getting involved in opposing GA vote security issues. I know President Biden is against it for backer/control reasons. But, major international buiness?

What rea$on$ do corporation$ do any of the thing$ they do?
It takes so little to be above average.

Economizer

Quote from: marshwiggle on April 11, 2021, 06:24:06 AM

No one could have possibly worded and symbolized it better! Say, while we're talking money, the Biden administration has indicated that it will be refunding CoPays (monies paid to VA for non covered services) to patients enrolled in their services. I'm wondering if these refunds will come from a commercial bank, U.S. Bank,  to which the CoPays have been sent for deposit the last couple of years [it is located in Portland Oregon] or from the U.S. Treasury monies, leaving  previously submitted payments unaccounted for? Or misapplyable? Or available for fraud? Just checking, so to speak.

So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Vkw10

Quote from: Economizer on April 11, 2021, 06:30:03 AM
Quote from: marshwiggle on April 11, 2021, 06:24:06 AM

No one could have possibly worded and symbolized it better!

Coca Cola and Delta are both headquartered in Atlanta, so they care about issues that may make it harder for them to attract and retain top talent. Remember a few years ago when corporations were pushing for national recognition of same-sex marriage? They were finding that some employees were refusing transfers and promotions to certain states, plus spending serious money on keeping employee benefit rules in line with varying state laws on marriage and domestic partnerships. A couple of decades ago, SC finally took Confederate flag off statehouse dome, because NAACP's encouragement to boycott the state was affecting Myrtle Beach tourism season and business sector made it clear that historical artifacts should be relegated to museums when they start affecting profits.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

Economizer

So, DELTA AIRLINES is pressuring State of Georgia legislators, and possibly affecting the ECONOMY of that state, because it would better internal personnel concerns and would move forward their positions re social matters.That is INANE, FLY THE PLANE!

mahagonny

But heroines are already legal.

AmLitHist

Speaking of ganders:

There is a pair of tame geese on the country road out to Kid #1's house in the country.  There's a big white gander and a huge gray goose.  They seem to always be out in the grass, right on the edge of the blacktop road, when I go out.  It really makes my day to see them, as I did earlier this morning.

There are also lots of Canada geese in the fields out that way, and other large birds.  There's a closed electric plant in that area, and the lake draws lots of wildlife. (I've never seen the trumpeter swans that occasionally stop Kid's progress when they stand in the middle of the road.)

downer

Interesting to see an adjunct faculty member get recognized at one school for their service.

I wonder what motivates them to go above and beyond. It's almost incomprehensible to me.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

downer

I am curious to see what it would mean to re-envisage the university through the lens of critical race theory, and a bit surprised to see the administration supportive of the project. I do wonder what the large Asian student population will make of it.

mamselle

Quote from: downer on April 29, 2021, 06:21:37 AM
Interesting to see an adjunct faculty member get recognized at one school for their service.

I wonder what motivates them to go above and beyond. It's almost incomprehensible to me.

Attitude, maybe?

Where I've adjuncted, I've had support for my research in a number of (small, but still supportive) ways, interest in my work, and willingness to let me present on new topics and participate in the annual Community of Scholars events.

No issues.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mahagonny

Quote from: downer on April 29, 2021, 06:21:37 AM

That's the type of question that would deserve its own thread if this forum were a place fit for serious discussion of adjunct issues, which of course it is not.