News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

A few words left on the bee, but that's probably it for today.

ab_grp, there are no repeating letters in the LB pair that I found, with the exception of the last letter of the first word. I can send you a hint if you are still stuck. Hope you found all the words in the bee.

cathwen, yes, these are the Cornell Lab courses. I gave up on the ebird essentials test. I got some courses a couple of years ago, but what with being online for work and the zoom sessions, didn't have the energy to sit at the computer to do the courses. I've learned not to let myself be intimidated by the birders who are mostly experts as they can identify birds that all look alike, at least to me.

ab_grp

Thanks for the LB info, Langue_doc! That is helpful.  Sure, if you feel like sending a hint, I will continue to work on it here and there this evening.  I feel as though one of my contenders will work, but I haven't had any luck mating it yet. 

As for the bee, I gave up on the last word, though I got it with some hints from husband (who had stumbled on it and had gotten to QB).  We may have had it before, but I don't think I would have gotten it without just guessing it.  So, I am okay with Alpha! I don't mind so much as long as what's left isn't something I should have gotten for sure.  Good luck to anyone still pursuing QB!

ETA: got a 2fer so no hints needed.  Thank you, though!

Langue_doc

Congrats! Ignore my PM.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Not sure how I made it to QB late last night, but I did. Still not sure how I found photog, opah, and prat. I vaguely recall seeing the two short words in earlier puzzles,

Amazing today, with two pangrams.

LB joking/grumble

As for the crosswords, I'm not seeing the themes this week, but managing to get the solutions.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning, everyone!

Congratulations on QB, Langue_doc!  I did not progress since my last posting—I missed aport, opah, photog, and taproot.

I had the same LB solution, which was also the "official" one.  After some tearing out of hair, I found a solution for today's LB. 

As for SB, I just squeaked into genius with two pangrams.  Too bad the nytbee site is down!  I hope we aren't  suddenly faced with a different puzzle, as happened last time the site went down.

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - they wouldn't take topograph yesterday. There seems to be a new interface so I can't check yesterday's words, but I remember getting all the ones you have mentioned, so maybe I was closer to QB than I thought.

LB - joking-grumble as well.

Happy solving! Dentist, then husband gets his J&J this afternoon. Finished grading - woohoo!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Langue_doc, thanks for the LB hints.  Sorry, I tried to modify as quickly as possible to spare your time, but your clues were, as always, spot on! I got the same solution.  Congrats on your 2fer already, cathwen!

For the bee yesterday, I missed paratha.  Well, I got it, but not without hints, so I'm not counting it.  Big congrats on your QB, Langue_doc!

For today's, the nytbee site was working for me, but it would be interesting to end up with different puzzles again! For the record, I have (A)CEIHMN.  And I'm at 214 with two out of two pangrams, but now things are going much more slowly.

Hope your husband's shot goes well, ciao_yall! And the dentist appointment.  Congrats on finishing grading! I also wanted topograph yesterday.

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

Made it to genius with both pangrams after missing te mark these last couple days.

Weirdly, yesterday it rejected 'tophat'.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Found yesterday's SB answers. Okay, I thought I tried apparat and it didn't take. Paratha? Okay. Paragraph? /headsmack. Propogator, I would have thought it had an "e." Oh well, at genius.

LB - lots of long words that leave odds and ends, so hope to get there soon.

Langue_doc

I remembered paratha from an earlier puzzle. Indian food terms that I remember from earlier puzzles are naan, paratha, and raita. There are probably a couple more, but I can't recall them offhand. SB rejected topograph and orthograph. As for propagator with an e, I always, always, check spellings on google. I had to check the spelling of today's long word before entering it.

Very often words that I type don't get entered, so if I'm feeling motivated (competitive), I double-check my entries on the desktop just to make sure that all the words that I entered have been credited.

51 words and 223 points so far.

Congrats on your successes, all.

ab_grp

I always try tophat, poptop, and others, but I guess they are two words or hyphenated or some such excuse.  There are a couple that do not appear to be in today's, either.  I think I might be missing the long word.  Husband also found a long word that he had to look up the spelling for.  He recently passed me to 227 (I'm at 226).  Still no Alpha!

ab_grp

Well, I got to Alpha +, one word from QB, again.  And here I will probably stay.  I will try again later!

And I have what I think is a pretty good contender for LB, but no luck on a mate yet.

cathwen

Ab_grp, I hope you get your final word! 

I'm at 250 points, with two words to go.  And I'm tired of looking!  I'll take a peek later. 

Langue_doc

QB! No difficult words.

Let me know if anyone needs a hint.

cathwen

QB for me, too!  I really did not expect to get there. 

Congratulations, Langue_doc, on your QB!