News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Congrats on your QBs, Langue_doc and cathwen! No luck for me yet on that final word, but I was on a call for a while.  Thanks for the hint offer, Langue_doc.  I might PM you for a tailored one since I know how many letters it is.

Still no luck getting my contenders to work in LB yet.

ciao_yall

SB - thought there was third pangram but it seems to be a proper name. ETA Went to the crossword puzzle site. QB!

LB - some good words that eat up a lot of letters. 3fers and a 2fer b4ss but no official 2fer yet. ETA Went to the solver site and all the words are totally weird. So if cathwen got one of them, then she wins LB for the year.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Thanks to Langue_doc, I got the final bee word.  Ugh! Mahimahi.  I had to look at the crossword blog to figure out LB.  I thought for sure gymnastic (or a variant) and uvula would work out if I could connect them. 

Just got up, so no coffee or much puzzle progress, but I wanted to wish Langue_doc a good bird outing!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Genius, 3fer, getting ready to go for a long hike with a friend.

SB - I think for me it's more of a time limit thing. So many darn words! On my own I got the tricky ones like echinacea. I really wanted manichean to be a word but alas. I tend to have one long session over coffee which usually gets me to genius. Then I pop in during the day and if another word appears, fine. The crossword blog is good for aided recall to get me over the edge. Once I get a hint it's pretty easy.

LB - yesterday - whatever. Even the solver site didn't get magi which I would have assumed to be a proper noun but oh well. 3fers were vinyls-sagacity-yum and alumna-activity-yags. 2fer b4ss was vaginismus-scantily. Lots of contenders which ate up a lot of letters but no mates, alas.

Happy solving day!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

Genius and 2fer today. 

For yesterday's LB, I had the "official" magi-inclusivity.  I thought it was a really hard puzzle; I tried all kinds of combinations before stumbling over that one.

Ciao-yall, enjoy your hike!  And Langue_doc, enjoy your bird outing!  It's a gorgeous day.  Ab_grp, congratulations on QB! 

ab_grp

Thanks, cathwen, though I wish I had been able to find that myself.  I just don't think I would have thought of it.  I got to Alpha today (256) but still have a ways to go.  I was stumped for a while but got a bunch of words last time I took a break to look at it, so hopefully that will happen again next time!

Congrats on your 2fer, cathwen!

Ciao_yall, have a fun hike! I was trying to get chiminea or one of its variants to work, but it wouldn't take it. :-(  Hope you get your 2fer later on!

Parasaurolophus

Finally clawed up the last few points to genius.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Good going, Parasaurolophus, and good luck! I think the words have all been pretty familiar from life or from the bee.

That being said, I am AGAIN one word away from QB, so who knows if the last one is a doozy or just escaping me right now.

cathwen

Congratulations, Parasaurolophus!  And ab_grp, you are sure to get to QB again! 

I am only a little past genius.  I am running out of imagination and will not have time to work on this much longer, so if I get to Beta, I will be delirious with joy. 

Langue_doc

Thanks, ab_grp, it was a nice outing to three different nature preserves/parks in one of the boroughs. It was an interesting group of people; we also saw several interesting species of birds, mostly shorebirds and songbirds. The downside was that I had to leave at 7, for an 8 AM trip, and was on my feet until 2.30. I just got home, sore feet and all.

I recall getting a pangram and making it to almost genius before I left. I think I need to crash first before getting back to the puzzles.

As for mahimahi, it was one of the first words that I found yesterday. I gave up on LB yesterday as it seemed to be a case of diminishing returns given the letter and the B4SS BS.

ab_grp

Well, I actually made it to QB today, so thanks for the magical words, cathwen!

Langue_doc, I'm glad to hear you had such a nice outing! But it sounds like rest and recovery would be a good thing after rising early and spending that much time on your feet.  Hope you get to do so and enjoy whichever puzzles or other fun you are looking forward to!

I have a couple LB contenders, but nothing yet on that front.  New puzzles should be out now, but I am in a tough and very competitive Duolingo league this week, so I need to attend to that first just to stay safe from demotion.

ciao_yall

2fer - not sure it's official because it's kind of weird, but if they took magi, who knows?

Great hike, now I'm bushed but need to fix dinner for husband who is having mild side effects from his vaccine yesterday.

ab_grp

Good morning!

It sounds like we got some different LB solutions, and different from the official one? I had gotten CATERWAUL-LIBIDO but am not sure if that's what ciao_yall got.  It definitely sounds different from Langue_doc's given the clues (thanks!), but I didn't see those until later and couldn't figure it out.  Very curious!

Didn't get coffee or start much of anything yet.  Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Genius, with one pangram.

LB bower/reticulated.

Crossword has to be completed.

Happy solving, all.

ab_grp

Aha! I get reticulated now.  I kept thinking it was something with constrictor, but that didn't work and wasn't the first word of the snake, in any case.  I wonder what other solutions folks found.

I got to 142 with one pangram so far.  Will try some sudokus and get back to it.  I did get one LB contender so far.

Ciao_yall, I'm glad you enjoyed your hike and hope your husband is feeling better today.