News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Good morning!

cathwen, I wouldn't have thought of meadowland either. Even if the word had occurred to me, I would have dismissed it as a proper noun because of Meadowlands in nearby NJ.

Genius today with two pangrams. Although today's words are familiar ones, they are difficult to spot which makes the puzzle interesting.

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB yesterday - missed a few obvious ones but learned a new word: nankeen. Just barely started playing with this morning's.

LB yesterday - gah. That W was a tough one, wasn't it? I did get a few good 3fers including woman-novel-languid. Sounds like today's is easier.

ab_grp

Good morning!

I actually did get a 2fer last night on my phone, which appears to be the schmofficial one.  I thought of meadow and had tried movieland earlier (among many others), and I already had variants of divulge in my list, so luckily it worked out. 

And I made it to QB yesterday, but I can't remember what my final word was.  A 6-letter A.  Struggling today, though, just past genius with two pangrams (126).  It is a tough one. 

Congrats on your 2fer already, cathwen!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Twofer, although I didn't think the second word was a real word.

Haven't made much progress on the bee since morning, but I'm happy with my LB. I liked my first word so much that I had to try very hard to find a mate with the remaining letters.

ab_grp

Congrats on your 2fer, Langue_doc! Especially since you found a word you liked so much and were able to find a mate for it!

I got over the Alpha hump, barely (150) but still have two long words left, I guess.  Definitely stumped right now.

ciao_yall

Genius with two pangrams.

Lots of 3fers and some good words.

cathwen

Congratulations on being so close to QB, ab_grp!  I'm stuck at 140/Beta with two pangrams.  I probably won't progress much beyond that.

Langue_doc, I'll be eager to see what your LB solution is!  Both my words are "real words," so I'm curious about the word you didn't think was a real word, and very curious about the word you like so much! 

Langue_doc

Sending you a PM...

Can do the same for other inquiring minds who need to know.

ab_grp

I got a 2fer! Very interested to hear all the solutions tomorrow!

We ended up comparing lists, thinking we had the same words, but we each had a word the other needed that had the same first letter and number of letters.  So, if anything it will be a team QB.  One more word left, and we are stumped.

ciao_yall

I am awash in 3fers and contenders but nothing is matching up. ARGH!

ciao_yall

Finally went to the solver site. None of my awesome words made it into the solutions they suggested.

However, I am quite proud of my 2fer b4ss: numbnuts-showered.

Langue_doc

cathwen

Good morning!

I had never heard the term 'sundew' before, and I never realized that there was such a variety of carnivorous plants!

My solution to LB was the more humdrum schmofficial one, southwestern-numbed.  I have a 2fer for today's as well.

Ciao_yall, I wish LB accepted colorful insults like numbnuts

As for SB, I never got beyond Beta yesterday (missed words I have gotten before, like colonel and colleen), but today I am at Alpha with the two pangrams.  Two words until QB, so we'll see if I make it or not. 

Colorful insults and carnivorous plants—I wonder what today's words will turn up?

ciao_yall

Morning!

ETA: Genius and 2 pangrams on SB so far today.

LB: Actually a lot of great solutions came from the online solver. The most straightforward was dumbest-thrown. I had dumb and thrown and lots of other great contenders. It's those darn prefixes and suffixes!

All day interview panel - ugh. So plenty of time for puzzling today.

Parasaurolophus

Easily made it to genius with both pangrams this morning.
I know it's a genus.