News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

If they're near the neighboring woods you've described at times, they may have been ferals seeking food or shelter further afield, if those have been threatened lately, or temps have become colder.

They may not have ventured out during the daytime as often before, or tried crossing roads often enough to recognize the best strategies for survival.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

OneMoreYear

onehappyunicorn, thank you for the pictures! I love the pile o' cats. Such fluffiness!  I would love to have a pile o' cats of my own, but ours rarely interact and definitely do not sleep together.

EPW, I hope your two kitties settle down, with or without a 3rd joining the household.  I'd like to have a 3rd, but we are concerned that adding to the household may drive Ricochet back into hiding.

mamselle

+1, I missed the link to the photos before!

Definitely the cozy, fluffy warmth found at the center of the universe, here.

(Although for a moment, I also confess to thinking, "Oh, sorry--Ms. Whoo, Ms. Whatsit, and Ms. Which, I didn't mean to disturb you!")

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

How are all of the kitties dealing with the recent cold weather?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

FishProf

Elektra has become a very long cat stretching to cover the entire radiator box, while Nox is holed up in a box in the corner or at the very top of the cat tower (when sunbeams hit it).

They aren't pleased, but they cope.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

smallcleanrat

Maestro will occasionally "request" his red-and-white Christmas scarf by pulling it out of the box of cat stuff and giving SO and I meaningful looks. I never expected to have a cat who WANTS his humans to dress him.

Caramelo sleeps by my side most nights, but last night he was extra cuddly. Not only did he snuggle up next to me, he also wrapped his front legs around my arm and nuzzled into my shoulder. We slept with him nestled in my arms like a teddy bear.

In the morning, I was gushing about how sweet and affectionate he'd been, but SO pointed out he was probably just cold.

Can't it be both?

Puget

Little Calico is a heat seeking missile. Her winter habitats of choice are, in order of preference given availabilty, my lap/legs in front of the gas fire, cat basket right in front of the fire, heated cat window perch. Panther Boy is less of a heat seeker and still often prefers his basket elsewhere, but will also spend time in front of the fire and on the window perch. For some reason neither has really become a bed sleeper, though Panther Boy usually comes up as soon as I'm awake for snuggles (and to let me know he'd like breakfast soon, thank you very much).

Panther Boy still loudly demands to go out into the catio every morning. I have the cat door in the storm window, with the window shut in front of it in cold weather and at night. If I give him access he'll then stand with his head through the cat door and his back half on the inside window sill deciding if he really wants to go out in the cold or not (and letting in cold air in the process). He'll usually finally go out for awhile. Meanwhile, Little Calico thinks she wants to go out too until she gets up on the window sill and feels the cold air coming through. Then she jumps down and complains to me. Since I control the temperature inside she just doesn't understand why I'm not properly controlling the temperature out there too. . .
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

OneMoreYear

Ninja has two strategies: 1) sleep curled up on a fleece blanket, and 2) borrow a human's body heat. Bonus points for sleeping on a fleece blanket that is on a human's lap.

Ricochet thinks Ninja's plans with humans are dangerous. She prefers to stay warm by: 1) running back and forth down the hall at top speed; 2) sleeping directly on top of the vents.

clean

I am so pleased to read that your kitties have all trained you all so well! 
Keep up the reports!  I enjoy reading this thread and the exploits of the Masters and their support personnel.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

evil_physics_witchcraft

Youngest evil cat flops on the heating pad, which can be irksome when SO needs it. Elder evil cat will stretch out on the electric blanket. Basically, they're both spoiled and warm.

mamselle

Our dog used to climb into bed with my mom (the one person who had opposed having a dog at first, of course).

My brother used to tip his head slightly, and ask, "Is it love--or is it body heat?"

I think it's sometimes the same with cats (but we won't tell them).

M.

statsgeek

We were wondering why our FosterFail girl has suddenly been sleeping on top of StatSpouse's dresser....until we realized it's directly under the heat vent.  She really is smarter than the rest of us combined. 

Larimar

Calico, Twerp, and OrangeGuy all like to sleep on the bed at night in the winter. It makes for rather crowded conditions, but it's amusing. OrangeGuy even burrows under the blankets to snuggle up to Mr. Larimar. As for HerMajesty, she has much better things to do than hang out with humans. She prefers the cushions on top of Mr. Larimar's tall dresser.

AvidReader

The other evening, Artemis and Hestia joined us on the couch, one on each lap. Artemis settled for a few minutes, then stretched, stood up, sauntered over to spouse's lap, and sat down directly on top of Hestia!

AR.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: AvidReader on January 24, 2022, 08:53:51 AM
The other evening, Artemis and Hestia joined us on the couch, one on each lap. Artemis settled for a few minutes, then stretched, stood up, sauntered over to spouse's lap, and sat down directly on top of Hestia!

AR.

Cute and funny. Maybe a display of dominance? Is there an alpha cat?