News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Emails from cranks?

Started by bacardiandlime, June 15, 2020, 01:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PScientist

I got one today from someone who intends to write a "high fantasy/science fiction novel" with lots of detailed questions about time travel.  (I guess I should probably just write back to politely say that asking an experimentalist about wormholes in string theory is not likely to yield much more than he has already gleaned from Wikipedia.)

spork

It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

AmLitHist

I feel a little left out.

The only crank emails I get are from Admin and my students.

mamselle

I didn't realize we had the creators of 《Hamilton》on the fora!

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Quote from: PScientist on June 15, 2020, 08:11:46 PM
I got one today from someone who intends to write a "high fantasy/science fiction novel" with lots of detailed questions about time travel.  (I guess I should probably just write back to politely say that asking an experimentalist about wormholes in string theory is not likely to yield much more than he has already gleaned from Wikipedia.)

Probably figured you'd be a great source of impressive-sounding technobabble.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

nescafe

I get the odd crank emails, usually vaguely related to something I work on and sometimes more random.

The worst manifestation of this, though, was the crank who came to my office hours, stood in my doorway, repeatedly demanded to know my citizenship status, and yelled about a coming civil war. I took my office hours off my faculty website and held them somewhere else on campus for the rest of the year.