News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The TV Series Thread

Started by ciao_yall, July 25, 2020, 11:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

I put The House of Eliott on our watch list.  Thanks for the recommendations, Parasaurolophus and mamselle!

mamselle

I'm going nuts over a series that only ran a couple seasons, but it's insanely good....if very, very unusual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sviYYLp0VHc&list=PL3wXW4qdCvpi6ZpUactbVa5z7_Vc95W15&index=6

The stars are unbelievably good, and very true-to-life.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

The 2nd season of "All Creatures Great & Small" premiered this past Sunday (1/9).  It was great to see the Dales again. In the first few minutes, James Herriot was in his native Glasgow.

I found out it's been renewed through 4th season:
https://tellyvisions.org/2022/01/10/all-creatures-great-and-small-will-return-seasons-3-and-4

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

Resident Alien restarts in a few days!
The first season was being shown on TV last night (on Sci Fi I think).

Im looking forward to its return!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

ab_grp

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on June 22, 2021, 05:29:15 PM
Quote from: ciao_yall on June 22, 2021, 07:07:20 AM
Two new shows in my queue, which meant upgrades to AMC+ and HBO Max...

Kevin Can F*** Himself with Annie Murphy from Schitt's Creek.

Hacks with Jean Smart and Hannah Einbinder

Enjoying these strong women-oriented shows.

My wife and I watched the first season of Hacks and enjoyed it very much.

I'll also recommend Mare of Easttown to you, since you have HBO and since it is another strong woman-oriented show.

We finally got to start watching Mare of Easttown and blew through the first 3 episodes last night.  I wanted to stay up and watch the remainder.  It took a little bit to get into, and I don't personally agree with the accents (so that was a little jarring), but it's definitely intriguing.  In a lot of ways, it reminds me of The Killing, both in terms of the plot and the feel.  That one also has a strong female lead.  I don't think I got to see that entire series so might have to pick that up as well.

ab_grp

We ended up watching an episode of Mare of Easttown during lunch yesterday, which is unheard of for us (being that it is an hour long), and then finished it last night.  Whew! We both thought it was excellent.  Quite the little mystery (or several), but also so tragic and emotional, which was unexpected.  There are a couple parts that didn't quite click into place for me, so I need to think about them a little more, as it's a fairly complicated story.  But the acting was great, and just... wow!

hmaria1609

I watched the adaptation of Julian Fellowes's Belgravia on DVD from the library. It was a limited run mini-series on Epix. I'd read the novel so I went in knowing what would happen.

ab_grp

Quote from: hmaria1609 on February 22, 2022, 07:30:53 PM
I watched the adaptation of Julian Fellowes's Belgravia on DVD from the library. It was a limited run mini-series on Epix. I'd read the novel so I went in knowing what would happen.

I'd be interested to hear what you thought of it (I mean, if there are spoilers about what happens, please omit them, as I have no idea what that limited run series is about).  Given how much we liked Downton and are looking forward to The Gilded Age if/when it's out on DVD, it would be great to have another of his to look for.

hmaria1609

Quote from: ab_grp on February 22, 2022, 07:48:08 PM
I'd be interested to hear what you thought of it (I mean, if there are spoilers about what happens, please omit them, as I have no idea what that limited run series is about).  Given how much we liked Downton and are looking forward to The Gilded Age if/when it's out on DVD, it would be great to have another of his to look for.
I thought it was good weekend watch. There are 6 episodes and a bonus featurette on the making of the show on the DVD.

The story first opens in 1815, the Duchess of Richmond hosts a legendary ball in Brussels. The Trenchards are invited by Edmund Bellasis, who's related to the Duchess.  When word of Napoleon's arrival is delivered, the ball abruptly ends. In 1841, the Trenchards move to Belgravia, a new area for the wealthy in London. Anne Trenchard meets Edmund Bellasis's mother during afternoon tea, setting events in motion.
I enjoyed both the novel and adaptation. Edinburgh's New Town stands in for Belgravia.

Of note: Julian Fellowes visits Goodwood, the family seat of the Dukes of Richmond in the documentary "Great Houses with Julian Fellowes." The legendary 1815 ball is mentioned--Fellowes looks at the guest book.

I saved the soundtrack of the show on my YouTube list.

evil_physics_witchcraft

We just started Grey's Anatomy (never seen it- first time viewers).

downer

Pieces of Her on Netflix is good. Based on a Karin Slaughter novel. Toni Collette is great. The difficulty is the same faced by most such series. The first few episodes are gripping and then you have to work harder to work out what the hell is going on.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

AmLitHist

Does anyone remember Crime Story, with Dennis Farina?  It lasted only two seasons, but it was one of my favorites, and I recently found it searching with my Fire Stick (on IMDB or Tubi, I don't recall which at the moment). Excellent writing, though the switch from Chicago to Vegas in the second season did it in; the cars, clothes, atmosphere of 1963 are all fabulous.

Istiblennius

Our Flag Means Death is well worth a watch (and I don't even like comedies).

hmaria1609

I got the 1st season of "Miss Scarlet and the Duke" on DVD from the library. I saw it on "Masterpiece" and want to rewatch.  There's a season 2 coming later this year! They filmed in Belgrade, Serbia.

The new and 2nd season of "Sanditon" starts this Sunday night (3/20):
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/specialfeatures/sanditon-s2-what-to-know-before-you-watch/