News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Good morning!

I have quite a while left today, something like 10 words, but a lot of them are long! I think my final ones yesterday were uvea, uvulae.

For LB, I had unprotruded-dogfight, the first of which was donated to me by husband after I was flailing despite many good contenders.  So half-schmofficial.  I had forthright/fortnight early on, too.  Dang it! Congrats on another 2fer today, cathwen!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius. Last words yesterday were vale and peep. I found helve and helluva much earlier as I've seen both in previous bees. I recall complaining about the former here, about a year or so ago.

dogfight/turpentine, gunfight/torpedo

Crosswords and sudokus were done last night, vertex this morning.

My neighbors, a family of five all have Covid. It's sheer idiocy on the part of the DOE to keep schools open as one of the parents is a teacher whose classes are probably not properly covered given the rate of positive tests and hospitalizations in the city. They've all been vaccinated but must have been exposed to it in their schools (classmates, students, or other employees).

Parasaurolophus

40 short, but my heart's not in it tonight.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Morning!

Yesterday, GwP. Last word was hellhole. It took collet but not echolocate?

And no 3fer but a 2fer b4ss influxes-sandbox,a few close 3fers: unboxed-dial-loafs, unbiased-dioxide-elf, and variations of fans-sexual-libido, unsexual-libido-oaf.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I got to QBABM! Husband has two words left.  I think my final words yesterday were toothache, collet.

No luck on LB yesterday, despite a lot of trying and various contenders. 

Sorry to hear about your neighboring family, Langue_doc.  It does seem as though keeping kids in schools is not really working out with preventing the spread, though I understand why folks argue for it, on some level.  At least older kids can follow safety guidelines better.  Daughter's got mostly college classes this semester, and they are still in person, but they also involve labs.  I know she is anxious to be there in person for that aspect, and they each have their own tables, but it's still nerve-wracking.  Unfortunately, her mother has it (exposure at work), so who knows what that will mean for who else gets it.  Hopefully it will be mild for all who have it, but it's not a gamble I would want to take, and I definitely feel for those who are exposed in situations they'd rather not be in in the first place. 

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram, my first word, and then genius. I think that's going to be it for today.

I got to QB yesterday--the trick is to remember the "bee" words, which I find quite annoying.

funboxes/sailed

ciao_yall, I like your words!

ab_grp, hope daughter stays safe; sorry to hear about daughter's mother. I've been hearing about boosted people catching covid.

As for me, I don't think I've ventured out or used public transportation since just before Thanksgiving, but do need to get to the doctor's next month and also get my hair cut, neither of which is feasible by car because of parking issues.

Interesting crossword theme--have fun!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

My last words yesterday were alcohol and cochleae.  I had to go to hints for the last one.

Today I am at QB-2.  Congratulations on your QBABY, ab_grp! 

I had some trouble with LB yesterday, but finally got inboxes-sadful.  I got inboxes first, which left  sad, plus the -ful ending, but I didn't think they went together.  However, when desperate...you know how it goes...so I tried combining them and was stunned when it took. 

I have a 2fer today as well, with normal words.

Langue_doc, that is discouraging news about your neighbors.  It does seem as though there is a premature rush to get back to normal, understandable though it may be.

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Interesting thoughts about COVID. Still, if everyone is vaxxed and omicron is not serious for vaxxed people, then do we really need to remain shut down? It's like flu season - yes we need to watch small children and people with compromised health, but at this point, all the testing of asymptomatic people is starting to feel like pushing a string.

Well, I'm not in public health so I will respect decisions. Even if I question them.

GwP and 2fer b4ss which led to a messy 2fer.

ab_grp

Thanks, cathwen, and good luck! You are almost there!

You both got some good 2fers! And congrats on another one today, cathwen! I finally got one as well after a lot of tries.  Mine are fairly normal, though a little different than I would expect.

Thanks, Langue_doc.  We are trying to decide if we should test ourselves since daughter came over here briefly while her mother was probably infectious but before she had the symptoms and got tested.  It's kind of annoying that the omicron symptoms supposedly mimic a common cold.  We have both been pretty tired and very sneezy for the past few days, some throat scratchiness, congestion and runny nose, headaches, etc.  But it could be allergies! Or a sinus thing! Or a cold! But it could be covid! Normally I would not test, but given the possible exposure, maybe it's a good idea at this point.  Daughter has tested negative the whole time, but the package instructions are so convoluted that it seems as though a false negative is more likely than an accurate result.  Even if it's this mild and we don't go anywhere and haven't been anywhere, I guess it's better to know in case there are long-term effects of some sort.  Ugh.  I am also a little confused that the test says to insert only 1/2 to 3/4 inch? That does not seem that far.  But I guess it depends on the type of test.  Anyway, sorry for the long whatever this was.  And yuck about having to take public transportation right now!

ETA: congrats on your 2fer, ciao_yall! Sounds like it may be a different one.  As for testing, it bothered me earlier on that our governor just kept telling people to test constantly no matter what, which seemed as though it could make for a bigger denominator and artificially smaller % of positive cases (which is what they were using as criteria for implementing restrictions that there was a lot of pushback about).  Now I am confused about why a variant that it supposedly so transmissible and seems to affect plenty of boosted folks (even mildly) is treated more cavalierly by the government.  The guidelines for return to school post-exposure (but not necessarily being positive) versus post-covid are really strange to me.  I don't really know what makes sense anymore.  Though obviously not everyone is vaccinated, and "mild" is sometimes more of a comparative adjective than an absolute one. 

Langue_doc

ab_grp, sorry to hear that you and husband haven't been feeling well. Yes, the tests do say that you don't have to insert the swab all the way up your nose; you just have to make sure to twirl the number of times indicated in both directions for each nostril. Do you have testing sites nearby? My neighbors went to our local one soon after they started feeling sick, so their tests are reliable.

ciao-yall, unlike the cold and the flu, the new variant is highly contagious and can be deadly for people with immunocompromised health conditions. Here in our city, the hospitalization rates are still very high, so hospitals are overwhelmed, as reported by the local news media and also in the NYT https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/15/nyregion/brooklyn-omicron-cases.html I think hospitals have been holding off on elective surgeries not just in the city, but also in the state. The new reported cases of hospitalizations and deaths keeps going up, which is alarming. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-cases.html

ab_grp, I too have been surprised by the insistence on testing--perhaps the testing companies have a strong lobby? Have been contributing to our elected officials' campaign coffers? In any case, it's better to take all the necessary precautions and check with one's physician for clarification. This is one reason I want to keep the doctor's appointment--this was originally scheduled for earlier this month, but I rescheduled it because I didn't want to spend over an hour each way sitting with unmasked people.

Crosswords and sudokus were done last night. I might not get back to the bee or LB today, but who knows?

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius. Last word yesterday was yente--I've seen it in more than one bee but wasn't sure of the spelling.

undogmatic/cravatl wasted a lot of time trying -ing ending words.

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBWATHICG. I was going to stop at GwP but then a friend of mine has just gotten into the Bee and I got swept up in all the excitement.

undogmatic-carving here.

Happy solving!

ETA: GwP and 2fer.

ab_grp

Good morning!

We each got to QBABO this morning with different final words.  Yesterday motet was my final word.

For LB, I got convicting-grandmum.  Wasn't sure if the latter spelling would be allowed, but yay.  I don't know why they are convicting her.  Maybe she's a hooligan.  Congrats on your 2fer today, ciao_yall!

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

GWP already. Whew! Had an easy time with Wordle, too. Just waiting for the French Wordle to drop, now.
I know it's a genus.