News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Good morning!

Genius with pangram.  Yesterday I got tripped up on the variant spellings nunchuk/nunchuck

LB:  I had the "official" unscrew-workday.  Langue_doc, you found a great pair! 

I found a 2fer today.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to QBABM, and husband got there a couple minutes later.  Good luck! I think nunchuck, eunuch were my last two yesterday.

I got the schmofficial solution, too.  Langue_doc's is much more interesting.  Congrats on your 2fer today, cathwen!

Happy solving!

ETA: Got a 2fer!

ciao_yall

Morning!

Made it to QB-1, then even with hints and Googling "Japanese weapons" didn't realize one could also spell it nunchuk. GwP so far this morning.

LB - unscrew-workday and today a 2fer b4ss and a tight 3fer. But I've been in this slog before.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on January 16, 2022, 04:35:05 PM
Whew! Finally got a 2fer! Congrats, ciao_yall.  Did you say you do the crossword on paper? I'm just curious about a clue today that supposedly appears differently between modes.

Not sure about that. I guess I could compare the two versions but that would take a while.

I do the mini and the Saturday online.

ab_grp

Quote from: ciao_yall on January 17, 2022, 09:14:03 AM
Quote from: ab_grp on January 16, 2022, 04:35:05 PM
Whew! Finally got a 2fer! Congrats, ciao_yall.  Did you say you do the crossword on paper? I'm just curious about a clue today that supposedly appears differently between modes.

Not sure about that. I guess I could compare the two versions but that would take a while.

I do the mini and the Saturday online.

It was just one particular clue in Sunday's regular puzzle: 110A.  On the app, it looks like a slash (/) between words due to the sans serif font, while supposedly on paper it's an italic I.  I use the app and was a little confused about how the clue and answer were related, but maybe it makes more sense on paper.  I only found out about this through the comments.  For me, it looked like ENT / CEMENT. 

ciao_yall

Oh I get it.

When I figured out the theme I noticed the answer was probably the song and never really read the clue. Not sure it makes a difference because the clues are in a serif font on paper and sans serif online but it still suggests the same thing - a word play on "enticement" with the "i" as an italic i  or "i-lean."

Geddit?

ab_grp

Argh!!! I get it now! Thanks for the explanation.  When I found out that it was supposed to read as ENT I CEMENT, as a word, I saw how it applied to the first part of the answer, but even after reading the comments about the italics I didn't sound it out like that.  I do think that if it seemed like an I on the app, I might have gotten closer to understanding.  But, that is not a given.  Thank you!

Langue_doc

QB and two-fer; not very efficient, but "normal" words all the same.

ciao_yall

Also a messy 2fer here as well. And so many 2fer b4ss solutions...

OneMoreYear

2fer, but also not efficient. It appears there could be multiple solutions given the combination of letters. It will be interesting to see everyone's solutions tomorrow. Not going to finish the bee before calling it a night as my brain is fried.
Happy puzzling if anyone is still solving tonight.

Parasaurolophus

Beta bee with pangram today.
I know it's a genus.

cathwen

Good morning!

Beta with pangram and a 2fer.

My last word yesterday was moonlit, found only after looking at hints.  I had unlit, and kept looking for a combination with moon, but for some reason my brain did not connect moon and lit.  Sigh...

I am eager to see what everyone's LB answers were yesterday.  Mine was cable-exhilaration. As OneMoreYear says, it seems that multiple solutions are possible.

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius so far. Last word yesterday was lilt--I'm sure I entered it much earlier.

article/exhibition

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

morning, and congrats Parasaurolophus!

Yesterday, GwP and probably could have made QBABM had I stuck with it and remembered tutti.

LB - carbonate-exhilarate or carbonate-exhilaration. Lots of b4ss solutions as well.

Anyway, happy solving!

OneMoreYear

Yesterday's 2fer: chile/exacerbation I was surprised it took chile. Going to be a long day, so probably the quick wordle is the only puzzling for today.