News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Still a ways to go on the bee, but I did get to Alpha.  Moonlit was my final one yesterday.  I can never remember that one, either.  I was lucky that I was thinking I should try out- and for some reason came up with outmoon (?) and then saw the word.

For LB, I had the same solution as Langue_doc.  Good solutions all around! Congrats on another one today, cathwen!

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Got a 2fer!

We had to seek assistance with a few words.  Husband finally made it to impure QB, but I still have a word left.  Hopefully I'll figure it out.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius so far. It's an uphill climb today--out of breath already.

I don't recall my last word yesterday. I was frantically looking for a couple of missing words, but when I continued with the puzzle on another device it turned out that I had entered the missing words earlier on that device.

grouch/handset

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB-1WH. What is a mage?

And, cadges-southern. Lots of solutions today!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QBWH yesterday.  My last word was mezzanine

Today:  Genius with pangram, ten words to go. 

LB:  Adding to the various solutions, I had dangerous-stretch.  I have a 2fer today as well.

Both sudokus seemed harder than usual today, or perhaps I just wasn't very sharp.

Not sure how much more time I'll be able to devote to puzzles today.  Classes start today and I have errands that I need to run, since tomorrow is supposed to be snowy/icy.  No matter how much I look forward to the end of a semester, by the time the next semester rolls around, I'm always eager to start again, and this time is no different. 

Anyway—happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

I have 4 words left to QB but not quite at Alpha yet.  It took a while to find the pangram.  My final ones yesterday were enigma, maize.

For LB, I had another solution: thousands-scrounge.  Definitely a variety! Congrats on your 2fer today, cathwen!

I am a little nervous to hear that the sudokus were harder today.  Good luck with your errands and new semester, cathwen! I hope you can get everything you need before the snow and ice.

In case you all hadn't seen the thread on forum statistics, our thread is #1 in number of replies! Hooray! And I'm apparently one of the top 10 posters (way behind Parasaurolophus, though), most of which are probably to this thread.  Not sure if that's a good or bad accomplishment.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Woohoo, ab_grp! You're up there, along with ciao_yall.

Made it to QB. There's only one word that's either unfamiliar or that I have yet to encounter in a previous puzzle.

As for LB, I forgot to mention that I also found teacher/sundog--never heard of the latter word, but tried it just in case.

cathwen, good luck with the semester. I too feel quite excited at the beginning of the semester--it's like getting a new toy, new beginnings, the prospect of new classes and faces, and the hope that classes go well. We don't start until next week, but there are already a couple of introductions on one of the discussion boards.

cathwen

Langue_doc, sundog is a new word for me, too.  I had to look it up.  Lots of variety with yesterday's LB!

I've been reading and responding to the "Introduce Yourself" discussion board and am amazed by the wide diversity of backgrounds and languages represented among those who have posted so far.  Some of the languages spoken are Polish, Russian, German, Romanian, Greek, Chinese, Farsi, and Mongolian (!), in addition to the more usual Spanish and Italian.  The wide diversity is one of the things I like about teaching in a New York area school.

Ab_grp and ciao_yall, I am impressed by your stats! 

ab_grp

Totally forgot about ciao_yall being on the list after looking at it last night! But I think out of the three of us on the list, I contribute the least meaningful content, which is why I was surprised to see myself there.  Not sure if I am impressed or depressed, so maybe I will have to work on that. ;-)

I finally got assistance on my last word and recalled it.  But I have seen on FB that there may be a word in the list that had not previously been accepted.  I'm not sure which one but hope to find out tomorrow.  Maybe that is the one Langue_doc referred to.  Congrats on your QB!

Cathwen, that is a wonderfully diverse group!

ab_grp

My husband sent me this article from Deb Amlen (from the NYT crossword column) about Letter Boxed that has some tips and tricks for solving.  I would suspect we already use them but FYI: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/19/crosswords/letter-boxed-tips-and-tricks.html

I still don't have a 2fer yet, but I have some ideas toward it.

ETA: Got a 2fer!

Parasaurolophus

Blah, two points short of GWP today.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Genius and then the pangram. Yesterday's unusual word was tallit--still don't know what it means; last word was luau.

Happy solving, all!

ETA found a twofer!

Thanks for the meaning, ciao_yall; I often find words by stringing letters at random.

ciao_yall

Morning!

GwP yesterday, missed a few odds and ends on the way to QB. Langue_Doc, a tallit is a Jewish prayer shawl.

LB - a vaguely naughty firm-mountable.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

I needed hints to get to tallit, as it was not a word that I knew.  Today I am at Beta with the pangram and cannot see where the other words are coming from!

LB:  I had unmoral-lifeboat.  I had lifeboat first, then saw unmoral, which I was sure would be rejected.  I suppose we'll have a variety of answers today!   

I have a 2fer today as well.

Ab_grp, thanks for linking that article on LetterBoxed.  The hints are good ones, but what surprised me is that the person who wrote the article says she has never gotten a 2fer! 

Happy puzzling!