News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The quiet room thread...

Started by mamselle, October 29, 2020, 12:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ergative

Quote from: mamselle on October 30, 2020, 07:22:09 AM
Yes, there's a protected pine forest out back and the pine needles are never cleared from the path, just raked a bit, to provide a soft, quiet space for running.

The geodesic dome keeps the rain and cold out, while allowing for soft breezes and birdsong as you go.

Pleasant running, and we'll have the hot-water showers and a mug of your favorite calming tea ready for your walk-down when you return.

M.

That was perfect, thank you.

I made full use of the fully-stocked and self-cleaning kitchen to make some pumpkin-cream cheese muffins with a pecan streusel on top. I'll just put them on the table with the other baked goods over here, and then curl up on the window seat and read my fantasy novel.

mamselle

Ooohhh, yum...that's really "giving back"!

On everyone's behalf...Thank you!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

EdnaMode

I'll take a couple fluffy, snuggly kitties and will curl up here on the comfy couch with the kitties in my lap and a book to read. Maybe I'll take a nap too.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

mamselle

Enjoy.

There are extra blankets and pillows in the cupboard over there.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

little bongo

Here for an slightly extended stay this time--pulled a muscle from shaking my head too much. I think I can get by with some chamomile with two drops of honey, not stirred. Thanks!

wareagle

I'd suggest two drops of brandy instead, but that's just me.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

mamselle

Quote from: little bongo on November 10, 2020, 10:58:00 AM
Here for an slightly extended stay this time--pulled a muscle from shaking my head too much. I think I can get by with some chamomile with two drops of honey, not stirred. Thanks!

Do you prefer a masseur or a masseuse to help with the pulled muscle?  Or there are warm towels on the fax machine over there... (interforumality).

There are also a couple of shaped foam pillows for support if that will help.

M.

Chris J

I am going to do some slow floor yoga stretches for twenty minutes or so over in this corner. If I fall asleep and start snoring, forgive me.

mamselle

Someone will bring you a blanket if you do fall asleep....

M.

arcturus

I need a quiet corner to deal with the grief associated with the loss of the Arecibo Observatory yesterday. Yes, it was already in dire straights and scheduled to be demolished, but the total collapse of the platform yesterday was heart-wrenching. This had been the world's premier radio astronomy observatory and now it is just a pile of twisted metal.

Perhaps a cup of tea, a pile of old photo albums to flip through (and remind me of the memories), and a sleepy kitten will suffice?

mamselle

Gladly. I had a similar response. (I can bring a signed copy of Kraus' "Big Ear" for partial comfort as well.)

Maybe a quiet tape, too, to listen to....something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIveDV0QEJA

The kittens are in separate baskets in the warming room.

Pick one, or as many as you like. 

M.

mamselle

Just ran across this favorite, if anyone wants it for their earbuds in their quiet space. (Barenboim playing the Beethoven Sonatas, this is the Pathetique, Op. no. : the adagio cantabile at 9:46 melts in the ears)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrcOcKYQX3c

Breathe safely.

M.

Charlotte

Quote from: mamselle on January 20, 2021, 01:03:48 PM
Just ran across this favorite, if anyone wants it for their earbuds in their quiet space. (Barenboim playing the Beethoven Sonatas, this is the Pathetique, Op. no. : the adagio cantabile at 9:46 melts in the ears)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrcOcKYQX3c

Breathe safely.

M.

I think my muscles relaxed for the first time today listening to that and my persistent headache of the last four days faded a little. So glad I wandered in here tonight.

mamselle

Welcome.

There are tea and coffee makings in the kitchen.  (There are also tables and blankets if you want to make a fort to hide in....)

M.

robear

I've made tea and little tea sandwiches. You may choose from cucumber and cream cheese, smoked salmon and cream cheese, egg salad, or ham with a bit of dijon, as well as tiny spinach and cheese quiches. There are lovely biscuits and a splash of champagne, as well as an array of teas from around the globe.