Winter Thread

Started by hmaria1609, December 15, 2020, 07:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

8 degrees again last night.

Tomorrow, the low will go up to 12.

Yippee.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Puget on January 30, 2021, 10:36:04 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 30, 2021, 09:36:32 AM
Some cherry trees had started blooming before the snow came a few days ago (most of it has now melted). We don't get much of a winter here, but still, nothing should blooming right now.

Feb is spring in the PNW, it just takes summer a looong time arrive after that (where I grew up, summer = dry season and couldn't be counted on starting until after the 4th of July).
PWN joke: How do you know when it's spring? The rain gets warmer.

Where I live now it is still most definitely winter. I didn't go out for a walk yesterday because below zero windchill is the limit of my "no such thing as bad weather just inappropriate clothing" motto. But now it is 19 and sunny with little wind so I'm off for my 10k.
Nor'easter arriving tomorrow afternoon, just in time for the first week of classes.

Whoa, that early?! Holy geeze.

We're only a little north of you, but from what I remember of the last four years I've lived here, February is when we can expect winter. And even then, it's brief, and spring definitely starts in March and, as you say, it lasts foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever.
I know it's a genus.

hmaria1609

'Tis the night before the snow!  An official winter storm warning has been issued:
https://wtop.com/weather-news/2021/01/snowy-weather-looms-over-dc-area-4-to-8-inches-possible-by-sunday-night/
I saw a few neighbors have their snow blowers towards the front of the garage. I pulled up the wipers on my car and put on the windshield cover.

The Costco parking lot was a bit of a challenge to navigate!

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 30, 2021, 09:55:56 AM
Quote from: Thursday's_Child on January 30, 2021, 09:48:23 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 30, 2021, 09:36:32 AM
Some cherry trees had started blooming before the snow came a few days ago (most of it has now melted). We don't get much of a winter here, but still, nothing should blooming right now.

The non-native flowering cherries usually start on New Years Day here - unless it's been really cold.  Twenty years ago they didn't, but of course, I didn't take paper notes...

Wow!

I saw the first Forsythia in bloom today.  Paperwhite daffodils are also starting to flower.  History suggests that it's getting near time for a seriously hard freeze!

ab_grp

Hope those in the snowstorm region stay warm and safe.  I saw one forecaster discussing various models, including "one model had a bit too much to drink last night" according to the forecaster, having predicted 40".  Hopefully it's more in the 6-12" range.

hmaria1609

The snow has come through the metro DC area and it's mostly over. It started early yesterday morning here.
Today I went outside to shovel twice. It wasn't too bad. Plus my library closed because of the snow which doesn't happen often! There's overnight freezing to affect tomorrow's commute. I plan to get hot chocolate for the road!

How much other fora members get?

Harlow2

I thought our snow  in the Philly metro area, was finally over last night.  Little accumulation forecast for today.  However this morning we have had additional inches with no sign of it slowing.

uni_cyclist

Our ten-day forecast shows daily highs only in the single digits, and nightly lows all in the negatives with some double-digit negatives.

Also, it's snowing right now. They're saying it's a blizzard but it's less snow than we received a week or two ago.

ergative

Please can we have either proper snow or else spring? These days upon days upon weeks of sleety rain are getting so old. For a while it was gorgeous and sunny during the day, and frozen overnight, which made walking treachorous, but at least it was pretty. Now it's not freezing overnight, the sun is gone, and everything's damp and cold and horrible.

hmaria1609

Harlow2

Our forecast (which went from 0.1 to 3 to 6) is now back to 1.0. Pretty, but once a year is sufficient

hmaria1609

We got some more snow here last night! When I left the library, it was a wintry mix, and it picked up the further north I drove up the interstate. There's some kind of invisible dividing line! It was pretty to watch after I got home.
I woke up earlier to shovel the driveway and clean off my car before going to work in the am. It was the fluffy kind of snow so it was easy to shovel.

There'll be more snow coming to the metro DC area--some places will see more than others.

Vkw10

It's 32 degrees in my Texas town, with precipitation. I took the long way to work today, avoiding most overpasses and bridges. I shall do the same tomorrow, as the local news was one long accident report tonight. Conditions tonight are perfect for ice formation. Living in an area where I rarely need more than a light sweater is great most of the time, but any hint of snow or ice turns the roads into bumper car arenas.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

ergative

Quote from: ergative on February 04, 2021, 10:04:19 AM
Please can we have either proper snow or else spring? These days upon days upon weeks of sleety rain are getting so old. For a while it was gorgeous and sunny during the day, and frozen overnight, which made walking treachorous, but at least it was pretty. Now it's not freezing overnight, the sun is gone, and everything's damp and cold and horrible.

Ok, thank you for the proper snow. Spring, please.

Harlow2

It has been oppressively gloomy lately. Some blue skies with sun would be nice.