News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Winter Thread

Started by hmaria1609, December 15, 2020, 07:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

In recent years we've had mild winter after mild winter.  Not really what you'd call winter at all in recent years.  Every year I hear people say "Well, you know February often has some of the worst winter weather."  And every year we've had February temperatures as high as the 70s. 

Now it looks like it's finally happening.  Part of the state has already had some severe winter weather.  We're looking at snow--real snow that sticks, for the first time in about a decade--early this coming week.  One night the extended forecast is calling for overnight lows in the single digits, which I've never seen before in my life.  After years of people freaking out with every talk of maybe having a bit of sleet or snow flurries, it looks like we really are having to brace ourselves.  I'm stocked up on soups and hot chocolate.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

apl68

Sleet early this morning.  It's still coming down intermittently.  The road surfaces have just enough ice on them to make them hazardous.  I assume our church has cancelled face-to-face services because of the road conditions.  Checking in a few minutes to see whether the pastor will manage to live stream today's message.  Meanwhile I'm at work, making sure the building is okay and using my computer.

Considerably more in the forecast.  We could be looking at tree damage and downed power lines. 

ab_grp

We woke up to snow with more coming.  Wasn't really supposed to start until later.  I am hoping we can stay in and off the roads as planned, but I guess that's up in the air now, unfortunately.  Snow is unusual here and typically goes away pretty quickly, but it's also very cold, so I suppose it might stick around and maybe ice up a bit.

Parasaurolophus

Apparently people are skating on a pond here. You couldn't pay me enough to go out on "frozen" water anywhere in this vicinity. It just doesn't get cold enough.

I mean, it's been just above freezing most days. We haven't dipped below freezing for more than a few hours any given day. What snow has fallen isn't sticking. There's no way it's safe to skate on that pond.
I know it's a genus.

OneMoreYear

We're prepping for another week of snowpocalypse (or at least the version of it here).
I'm trying to figure out on which days the roads will be least awful so I can be on campus.  I hate, hate, hate driving in the snow.

Quote from: ergative on February 12, 2021, 02:29:27 AM
Ok, thank you for the proper snow. Spring, please.
+1

Langue_doc

Freezing rain that's going to turn into a light "glaze" tomorrow, which means "stay off the roads".

mamselle

I'm going to have to time a quick 2-block-by-2-block errand run/walk to the mailbox, bank and corner store between when the sun comes up (so I can see if there's ice on the sidewalks) and an hour or so later (when it's supposed to start snowing again).

Ever since last year's broken foot I'm very cautious. (But better safe...)

Meanwhile...early to bed so that is possible.

Oh, joy.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Vkw10

University announced that we will be closed Monday and Tuesday shortly after noon today. Temperature is expected to stay well below freezing for a couple of days, with precipitation expected to continue through Monday evening. Grocery stores were mobbed yesterday and early today as people prepare for likely power outages. At least central Texas is aware that we aren't equipped for winter weather.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

Puget

Several days of "wintery mix" forecast, which I always thought sounded like it should be a festive winter snack, and would be a lot more fun if it was. So now I want to make it so-- what, oh wise foramites, should go into the wintery mix??
Surely there should be chocolate, maybe peppermint chocolate. And nuts. What else? Chex? Mini-pretzels? Popcorn? The sky's the limit, let's built us the ideal snack mix.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

ciao_yall

Quote from: Puget on February 14, 2021, 07:26:53 PM
Several days of "wintery mix" forecast, which I always thought sounded like it should be a festive winter snack, and would be a lot more fun if it was. So now I want to make it so-- what, oh wise foramites, should go into the wintery mix??
Surely there should be chocolate, maybe peppermint chocolate. And nuts. What else? Chex? Mini-pretzels? Popcorn? The sky's the limit, let's built us the ideal snack mix.

How about bacon?

apl68

Snow!  Not sleet, not freezing rain, but honest-to-goodness snow!  We have a white blanket everywhere, and it's still coming down.  I ventured out into it to get to work (Everything looks fine here, by the way).  There were places on the street where I could barely see the line of the curb.  It's a close to a pristine blanket as I've ever seen.  And the driving snow is the closest thing to a blizzard I've ever seen.  The library looming up through it looked almost eerie.

We were going to be closed for Presidents' Day anyway.  In all probability I'm going to have to declare a snow day tomorrow.  Meanwhile I'm waiting for the blizzard to subside a bit so that I can get outside and post signs around the library lot to warn off the four-wheel ATVs.  They'll be out in force once the snow stops.  Guess I'll check our online state newspaper in the meantime.

Vkw10

I woke to  a blanket of white snow, without a hint of grass peeking through, plus a glaze of ice and tiny icicles at the edge of the porch. Texas utility companies are doing rolling outages because they can't keep up with power demand, so the power is off about 30 minutes every three hours.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

mamselle

Little white star shapes are descending from puffy clouds in my weather app's graphics...but nothing is happening outside.

Not complaining, mind you.....

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

Quote from: Vkw10 on February 15, 2021, 09:39:51 AM
I woke to  a blanket of white snow, without a hint of grass peeking through, plus a glaze of ice and tiny icicles at the edge of the porch. Texas utility companies are doing rolling outages because they can't keep up with power demand, so the power is off about 30 minutes every three hours.

I've been reading about those rolling power outages.  Hope you stay safe and warm.

mamselle

It got warmer today.

Snow being exotherimc, I thought, "OK, ok, maybe they're right, maye we really will get walloped this time."

No dice.

No snow.

Overprediction is the new national sport.

They all want to be Harvey Leonard...

M.